Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks Star Deal

Stars Receive:

- Ryan Miller

- Jordan Subban

Canucks Receive:

- Lehtonen or Niemi 

- Stars 17' first round draft pick 

Basically this deal works out for both teams. Stars get the goalie they finally need while also getting rid of an awful contract from one of their goalies. They also get a prospect in return with some potential. The canucks while taking on a salary of one of the stars goalies also receive what very well could be a top 5 pick in this years draft. Canucks are able to take on a cap dump for next couple years because we are not contending anyways. 

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

If you think that their pick could end up being a top 5 then why would you propose that they trade it to us for Ryan Miller?  I understand that we help them by taking on salary but I think both Niemi and Lehtonen's contracts expire after next year.  So basically a top 5 draft pick for one years worth of a salary and Jordan Subban?  I don't see them doing that.  Or maybe I am just looking at this proposal the wrong way?  I don't know 

I agree with you and I don't think you're looking at this wrong. There's no chance Dallas trades a potentially top 5 draft pick for a UFA goalie and a B level prospect, just to eat a year of cap. 

6 hours ago, Pepe Silvia said:

I agree with you and I don't think you're looking at this wrong. There's no chance Dallas trades a potentially top 5 draft pick for a UFA goalie and a B level prospect, just to eat a year of cap. 

Yup. Especially where they are in the standings this close to the trade deadline. Maybe they still feel they can make a serious run but I'd think they just look ahead to next year and not give up a lot for a rental (especially with their only incentive being an offensively gifted but defensively suspect B prospect). They could get away with trading one of their two goalies for a mid-level pick, maybe with a sweetener they have in surplus on their side (lots of D, even a fair amount of center options) after the season and then pursuing someone like Miller in free agency.

Earlier in the year, maybe they would have made a deal for Miller but they also might still have hoped their goaltending would be enough. Injuries and issues have crept in since and made it pretty hard for them though.

5 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

The ownership of the Canucks and the ownership of the Stars, HATE each other.

I don't know why you think a deal between the two teams would ever come together.

Source?

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Miller waives his NTC to go to a team with a worse chance of making the playoffs (as of today) than the Canucks exactly why? 

The Stars have 2 fewer points than us with the same amount of games played.  However, looking at the team's scoring stats, the Stars have scored on average 2.75 goals per game, good for 14th in the league, while Vancouver is 28th at 2.3 (only ahead of Colorado and Jersey).  Vancouver's goalies are 9th in shots against per game at 31.1 per game, yet they are still respectable with a .909 save percentage (good for 17th).  Dallas gives up fewer shots yet they're tied for dead-last with Philly in save percentage at .895.  Long story short, Miller could patch up their notable weakness on D and holding down the fort, while the Stars' scoring can help on the other end for a team with so much potential to get wins.  Miller's also not getting any younger, and maybe he sees the solution that he could be for a team that's bleeding defensively but with a promising offense?  Ryan (re-signed by them after the season) plus someone good on defense and transition like Sbisa could help get the puck moving in the right direction while holding things down in their own end.  At least in a longer-term perspective, it could make sense.  

6 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Source?

The Stars have 2 fewer points than us with the same amount of games played.  However, looking at the team's scoring stats, the Stars have scored on average 2.75 goals per game, good for 14th in the league, while Vancouver is 28th at 2.3 (only ahead of Colorado and Jersey).  Vancouver's goalies are 9th in shots against per game at 31.1 per game, yet they are still respectable with a .909 save percentage (good for 17th).  Dallas gives up fewer shots yet they're tied for dead-last with Philly in save percentage at .895.  Long story short, Miller could patch up their notable weakness on D and holding down the fort, while the Stars' scoring can help on the other end for a team with so much potential to get wins.  Miller's also not getting any younger, and maybe he sees the solution that he could be for a team that's bleeding defensively but with a promising offense?  Ryan (re-signed by them after the season) plus someone good on defense and transition like Sbisa could help get the puck moving in the right direction while holding things down in their own end.  At least in a longer-term perspective, it could make sense.  

I understand your reasoning, but still don't buy it. 

Miller to SJ/Ana/Pit/pretty much any other guaranteed playoff team - then ok, there's a chance imo. 

But uprooting his family for a few months to be a 'rental' on a team with marginally better chances than we have - I don't buy that, sorry, might as well stay in Vancouver.  And I'm not just saying Miller, I doubt any of our 'NTC' guys are interested in waiving to go to any team with only 'marginally' better chances than we have - but if you waive a Pit/SJ/Wsh/NYR in front of a guy like Burr/Hansen/Edler they may see that as a very good opportunity to have one more kick at the can at this stage in their careers so to speak. 

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Source?

Here ya go, this is an old feud and after the trade deadline last year, I think its safe to assume that they still aren't on each other's Xmas card list:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/canucks-ownership-fight-goes-to-court-1.656930

and

https://www.bcbusiness.ca/the-ryan-beedie-canucks-saga

Read what you like from it, but guys who fight over this stuff in court, generally don't get along.

Archived