The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Astronomers discover 7 Earth-sized planets orbiting nearby star

thejazz97

On 2/22/2017 at 4:59 PM, taxi said:

I know nothing about this.

It's my understanding that radio waves travel at the same rate as light? So it would take radio waves from Earth about 40 years to reach these planets?

So we'd be bombarding them with disco at this point?

We've been sending out signals (radio, TV)for just over 100 years. So ya If there was someone there listening they'd be boogieing. 

On 2/22/2017 at 5:21 PM, Alflives said:

I don't get why we even care about planets that are impossible for us to even fathom reaching inside of several million years.  

At 40 light years away, we would be able to receive communications like radio waves. Our technology limits us to taking several million years to physically reach them, but does their's? 

Even simple confirmation of extra-terrestrial life would be a huge revelation. I think it's pretty neat regardless of whether we can physically touch them. 

1 hour ago, taxi said:

At 40 light years away, we would be able to receive communications like radio waves. Our technology limits us to taking several million years to physically reach them, but does their's? 

Even simple confirmation of extra-terrestrial life would be a huge revelation. I think it's pretty neat regardless of whether we can physically touch them. 

Okay, that's interesting.  Who's to say, if they are so much further advanced, they would have any interest us?

Well, not to put a damper on this, but...the estimated age of that star is about 500 million years old. Ok, with that said, let's compare that to Earth. We are pretty sure that the Earth is 4.5-4.6 billion years old. Life, in the form of bacteria, et al, appeared about 3.8 billion years old. That's a span of about 700 million years. So...likely those planets are lifeless, or at least any life isn't much more evolved than your basic bacteria and singe cell organisms, at best. And, gotta remember, this is a star with MUCH less energy output than the Sun.

Given time, maybe life appears there. But, anything there to communicate with us now. Put it this way...we stand a better chance of being able to trade...Ashton Sautner straight up for Alex Ovechkin. Much better.

So, once again. @Alflives, doubt you've any kin there! ::D

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

Okay, that's interesting.  Who's to say, if they are so much further advanced, they would have any interest us?

If they are broadcasting, it doesn't need to be directed at us. Radio waves, once in common use, would spread out in all directions through space. Theoretically we could pick them up.

Once again, at this stage it's just curiosity. Confirmation of alien life would be pretty cool.

Archived