The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Harvard senior Alexander Kerfoot

Ossi Vaananen

14 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i don't like to see players, not honouring the team that drafted them. it would suck if boeser opted to not sign here.

I don't disagree, and I like to think that were I in that same situation, I'd be loyal to the team that drafted me. that said, the loophole exists, and these kids have agents, family and friends in their ear giving them advice constantly and if they have options available to them that are far more appealing than the one they got stuck with in the first place, it's hard to fault them for taking advantage of it. 

Each one of these upper end college UFAs is like a free 2nd round pick.  

Most dont work out, but neither do most 2nd rounders.  Always good to get free assets.

I am guessing it is a pretty good selling point that we brought a guy in and gave him every chance to succeed.  These guys mostly want a situation where they have a chance to crack a roster.  Not many better places where there are more holes to fill on offense.

On 2017-02-22 at 4:15 PM, Quantum said:

August. So, after the draft and after Free Agent Frenzy but just before training camp starts.

If Gaudette opts for a third year at Northeastern... Alexander Kerfoot signing here makes a lot of sense. He'd be a good fit as the 4th line centre. Definitely give us depth and can see him wanting to come home.... and there's room on the Canucks roster for him to sign here and actually have a legit chance of cracking the NHL roster.

If this proves out to be .It would mean management has or may have already deemed Gaunce expendable at Center. It remains to be seen if they will keep vested in him an move him to wing.If not Gaunce should have been interchangeable forward that Willie moved up an down the line up the past 3 months.As a planning tool management has never disclosed their plans for Gaunce. It may be oversight on my part.

I see another player who has been miss management by coach an management, right hand not knowing what left hand  is doing ? Or Insubordination by key coaching guy.?

maybe this is overplay but just highlites or gleans what the team is trying to do when reports are leaked liked this as broad hints.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what Dreger had to say on the matter:

"Harvard's Alexander Kerfoot remains a hot commodity. He's from West Vancouver so perhaps, perhaps, there could be a Vancouver Canucks angle to this. He's property of the New Jersey Devils and Ray Shero, the general manager for the Devils, intends to sit down with Kerfoot and his parents at the end of the season. He wants to sign this guy but Kerfoot also wants to potentially explore his options. If he does not sign with the Devils by August 15th then, for better or worse, he's an unrestricted free agent and that's where, perhaps, the Canucks and other teams would consider they interest they have."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd-Cordell/Alexander-Kerfoot-could-out-wait-Devils-test-free-agency/159/83769

Like defensemen, I do not believe the Canucks can have too many prospects at centre. I'm all for the signing. Especially if this one means his Dad will buy the team too. I think the Aquilini's are primarily responsible for the delay in the 'rebuild, reload, retool, reboot'.

On 2017-02-24 at 6:35 AM, bobbyg43 said:

If this proves out to be .It would mean management has or may have already deemed Gaunce expendable at Center. It remains to be seen if they will keep vested in him an move him to wing.If not Gaunce should have been interchangeable forward that Willie moved up an down the line up the past 3 months.As a planning tool management has never disclosed their plans for Gaunce. It may be oversight on my part.

I see another player who has been miss management by coach an management, right hand not knowing what left hand  is doing ? Or Insubordination by key coaching guy.?

maybe this is overplay but just highlites or gleans what the team is trying to do when reports are leaked liked this as broad hints.

Gaune will be a winger or center in the future who will move up and down the lineup..  This is only his first full year in the NHL.  He has the big body, grit and hockey sense.

11 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Why is a guy like kerfoot , at 22 not considered an overager? Is the college system in the u.s that much stronger . when anyone in the junior leagues in canada is even 20 then it's almost considered to late.   ?? 

Because in the Canadian leagues the players are 16-20, meaning an overager is playing against inferior players. College players can be as old as 24-25, and most roster players are above 20. In terms of strength/ability, a 16 y/o is far inferior to a 24 y/o. So a 20 y/o in college is facing much harder competition than a 20 y/o in junior.

Archived