The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Iceland's President has Sparked Global Showdown on Pineapple Pizza; What's Your Stance?

Phil_314

Pineapple on pizza: Yes or no?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/icelands-president-has-sparked-a-global-showdown-on-pineapple-pizza/news-story/04a29781b3db162f77f0a49ef4c6cf31

AS WE speak, our global leaders are grappling with some pretty important stuff.

Donald Trump is unveiling his plan for a sweeping crackdown on illegal immigrants in the United States.

Over in the UK, Theresa May is preparing to trigger Britain’s official formal exit talks with the European Union.

Our own Malcolm Turnbull has just reaffirmed Australia’s commitment to a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, saying the country will not give into pressure on the matter.

But the significance of such issues pales in comparison to the firestorm of a debate started by Icelandic President Guðni Th. Jóhannesson.

Last week, while answering questions from pupils at a school in Iceland’s north, Mr Guðni was asked by a bold student for his thoughts on pineapple pizza.

He answered the deeply divisive question by saying he was “fundamentally opposed” to the idea, going as far as to say he would ban the tropical fruit from pizza if he could.

The storm of controversy was immediate.

Iceland's President has said he would ban pineapple on pizza. The type of guy that should be leading us here in the UK

@MLawrenceJourno I happen to love pineapple on my pizza. I'm going to start a protest outside the Icelandic embassy in London.#iampineapple

How can y'all not like pineapple and pizza what the hell

PINEAPPLE DOES GO ON PIZZA

It also inspired new inventions constituting madness of the highest order.

Pineapple on Pizza is alright but have you ever tried Pizza on Pineapple?

Seriously. It was a bloodbath.

This is no laughing matter. The Pineapple On Pizza debate has plagued humans for decades, and a consensus has never officially been reached.

To throw yourself into the firing line and admit to one preference over the other is arguably one of the most dangerous things a human being can do. And that includes getting a Twitter account.

Long story short, the Icelandic leader was forced to release a statement on the issue clarifying his stance, offering some sort of neutral pineapple-scented white flag.

“I like pineapples, just not on pizza,” he wrote on Facebook, in both English and Icelandic. “I do not have the power to make laws which forbid people to put pineapples on their pizza. I am glad that I do not hold such power.

“Presidents should not have unlimited power. I would not want to hold this position if I could pass laws forbidding that which I don´t like. I would not want to live in such a country.

“For pizzas, I recommend seafood.” Let’s not even touch on that last remark.

Mr Guðni has enjoyed huge popularity since he was elected President of Iceland last June.

He’s known for his informal leadership style, and was even once seen stopping by a Domino’s on his way home from the office.

Perhaps his likeable nature has saved him this time. But it’s safe to assume people won’t be quite so forgiving in future.

But hey, at least you’re not leaving in Sweden.

@conradhackett In Sweden we've already fought the pineapple culture war and have reached the next level of enlightenment: Banana curry pizza

Pretty interesting topic, surprised to have come across this in Google News of all places.  
Never actually realized that this was a topic with heavy contention!  Lol what are peoples' thoughts?  Any pineapple haters on CDC?  Personally I'm pro-pineapple.
Would love to hear what people have to say about this just-for-laughs topic ::D

EDIT: sorry about Tweet formatting.

Considering The Hawaiian pizza was a Canadian invention, I'm going to have to stick with my countrymen. :P

It's been my favourite pizza since I was a little kid - and it still is, The Pineapple is a great balance for the salty ham/bacon.

Besides, Grapes(wine) and Cheese go together, so why can't Cheese and Pineapple?!

Mmmm, pepperoni, green pepper and pineapple, when given a 3-topping choice.  Slap on some salami, onions and/or tomatoes if the deal is right.

Damn, now I am hungry.

32 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Here in Japan there's a lotta' corn & sea creatures on pizza. It used to shock me, but now is standard fare.

Yeah, the corn shocked me when I was there, too.  Almost as much as the sausage link/banger on each slice of sausage pizza.  That was weird, IMO.

The reason Americans tend not to like Hawaiian pizza is because they use the wrong part of the pig.

We use back bacon in Canada, they use regular ham which is loin. That makes all the difference. 

You need the proper taste of the back bacon to contrast with the pineapple to give that perfect mix of savoury, salty and sweet.

20 minutes ago, soosoodeff said:

pineapple on pizza is an awkward mix. I always pick out the pineapple in Hawaiian pizzaa

Then just order a ham pizza?

I've never understood why so many people hate pineapple on pizza. I feel like it's just one of those things people hate for no reason. 

Archived