The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] San Jose - Vancouver

Brobidus

As far as I know Spector isn't much of a friend to the Canucks but his rumours have some substance: http://spectorshockey.net/2017/02/nhl-rumor-mill-february-23-2017/

Copied from the link:

CSN BAY AREA: Kevin Kurz wonders what moves San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson has in mind leading up to the trade deadline. Two areas that make sense are a backup goaltender and a scoring winger. Kurz speculates the Sharks could stick with current backup Aaron Dell, who’s earned glowing reviews from Sharks coach Pete DeBoer.

Finding a scoring winger for the Joe Thornton-Joe Pavelski line should be the priority. Kurz lists “Dallas’ Patrick Sharp or Patrick Eaves, Arizona’s Shane Doan, Colorado’s Jarome Iginla, Detroit’s Thomas Vanek, or even Vancouver’s Alex Burrows or Jannik Hansen” as possible options. Sharp could be an intriguing option, given his role in helping the Chicago Blackhawks win three Stanley Cups. His $5.9 million cap hit, however, could require some juggling. 

SPECTOR’S NOTE: If I was Wilson, I’d target Eaves, Vanik or Hansen. Sharp might also be worthwhile for the right price. I’d pass on Doan, Iginla and Burrows who are well past their prime. As for their backup, Dell’s getting the job done. If DeBoer is confident in him, there’s no reason to seek an upgrade.

It seems like the Sharks are looking for both a goalie and a winger. I think it's been reported that Miller had all the Californian teams on his trade list. Let's assume Hansen might be willing to go to San Jose as they are a cup contender this year and for the chance to play alongside Joe Thornton (not to mention a good shot at the cup). Aside from that I'm wondering if Miller may be an ideal target if we retain salary and what kind of prospects/ picks they may be willing to part with for one or two of Hansen and Miller. 

What we can hope for or notable prospects that I personally could get on board with:
Nikolai Goldobin (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=160550): Playing with the big team right now. Hasn't scored yet but he has been quite promising. Could be a big addition to Utica this and next year, maybe grow with Virtanen, Demko, Gaudette and Boeser if they start there (and any other FA's we manage to sign). I actually really like him as a prospect and he would be good for Trymakin. Might make him feel more at home. 
Kevin Labanc (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=133841): Put up some great numbers in junior. Currently occupying that spot beside Thornton and Pavelski. Has put up decent points for this season and could probably surpass Hansen in points in a couple of years. 
Marcus Sorensen (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20065): A bit older and possibly less attractive target. the NHL panelists liked him more than the other two at the start of the season though (https://www.nhl.com/news/san-jose-sharks-top-prospects-30-in-30/c-281354986). Haven't watched him enough but seems like a fine addition to our prospect pool nevertheless.

What do you guys think. Is there a fit? 

Depends on their mind set, if they want to go for it all this year I could see them picking up Hansen and Miller in a package deal for Goldobin, and a pick. I doubt JB prefers Labanc, but it's possible. He's put up better numbers and is very slightly younger, and smaller than Goldobin.

44 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

We can easily keep 1/2 of Millers salary so a lot of teams could absorb that and we could take back an expiring contract as well with 3 mil from Miller and all the LTIR cash we have so for sure something could get done here.

Do they have any cap dump's or expiring contracts they wouldn't mind parting with to balance the cap?

2 hours ago, Brobidus said:

As far as I know Spector isn't much of a friend to the Canucks but his rumours have some substance: http://spectorshockey.net/2017/02/nhl-rumor-mill-february-23-2017/

Copied from the link:

CSN BAY AREA: Kevin Kurz wonders what moves San Jose Sharks GM Doug Wilson has in mind leading up to the trade deadline. Two areas that make sense are a backup goaltender and a scoring winger. Kurz speculates the Sharks could stick with current backup Aaron Dell, who’s earned glowing reviews from Sharks coach Pete DeBoer.

Finding a scoring winger for the Joe Thornton-Joe Pavelski line should be the priority. Kurz lists “Dallas’ Patrick Sharp or Patrick Eaves, Arizona’s Shane Doan, Colorado’s Jarome Iginla, Detroit’s Thomas Vanek, or even Vancouver’s Alex Burrows or Jannik Hansen” as possible options. Sharp could be an intriguing option, given his role in helping the Chicago Blackhawks win three Stanley Cups. His $5.9 million cap hit, however, could require some juggling. 

SPECTOR’S NOTE: If I was Wilson, I’d target Eaves, Vanik or Hansen. Sharp might also be worthwhile for the right price. I’d pass on Doan, Iginla and Burrows who are well past their prime. As for their backup, Dell’s getting the job done. If DeBoer is confident in him, there’s no reason to seek an upgrade.

It seems like the Sharks are looking for both a goalie and a winger. I think it's been reported that Miller had all the Californian teams on his trade list. Let's assume Hansen might be willing to go to San Jose as they are a cup contender this year and for the chance to play alongside Joe Thornton (not to mention a good shot at the cup). Aside from that I'm wondering if Miller may be an ideal target if we retain salary and what kind of prospects/ picks they may be willing to part with for one or two of Hansen and Miller. 

What we can hope for or notable prospects that I personally could get on board with:
Nikolai Goldobin (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=160550): Playing with the big team right now. Hasn't scored yet but he has been quite promising. Could be a big addition to Utica this and next year, maybe grow with Virtanen, Demko, Gaudette and Boeser if they start there (and any other FA's we manage to sign). I actually really like him as a prospect and he would be good for Trymakin. Might make him feel more at home. 
Kevin Labanc (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=133841): Put up some great numbers in junior. Currently occupying that spot beside Thornton and Pavelski. Has put up decent points for this season and could probably surpass Hansen in points in a couple of years. 
Marcus Sorensen (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=20065): A bit older and possibly less attractive target. the NHL panelists liked him more than the other two at the start of the season though (https://www.nhl.com/news/san-jose-sharks-top-prospects-30-in-30/c-281354986). Haven't watched him enough but seems like a fine addition to our prospect pool nevertheless.

The sharks doesn't have a lot of good prospects so we might better target a 1st & 2nd pick in 2017 or 2018 for hansen & miller.

53 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

Do they have any cap dump's or expiring contracts they wouldn't mind parting with to balance the cap?

Looks like Melker Karlsson is on an expiring contract at 1.6 and they are currently at 3.4 in cap space so they could get to 5 by moving him. They're really low on picks tho - both 2017 and 2018 they have already traded their 2nd and 3rd picks. 

So we could move Miller there, keep 1/2 his salary and they'd have 2 mil left to go out and get a winger. If we took Dell back too at 0.625 they could take Hansen too, but we'd have to basically deplete their entire picks for 2017! But this is their chance, one of Joe and Marleau are likely done there next season. 

4 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

Looks like Melker Karlsson is on an expiring contract at 1.6 and they are currently at 3.4 in cap space so they could get to 5 by moving him. They're really low on picks tho - both 2017 and 2018 they have already traded their 2nd and 3rd picks. 

So we could move Miller there, keep 1/2 his salary and they'd have 2 mil left to go out and get a winger. If we took Dell back too at 0.625 they could take Hansen too, but we'd have to basically deplete their entire picks for 2017! But this is their chance, one of Joe and Marleau are likely done there next season. 

If they grab Miller then they would send Aaron Dell down back to the AHL, that gives them 625k in cap relief. That means they'd have 2.6million. So they could grab Hansen without having to trade Dell in addition. 

Looking at Dell's stats.. holy smokes that guy is having one great season.

So we're looking at something like:
Hansen and Miller@50% for Goldobin + Karlsson + Sorensen? (Seeing as they have no 2nd or 3rd rounders then)
Hansen for Goldobin + 4th

Just now, Brobidus said:

If they grab Miller then they would send Aaron Dell down back to the AHL, that gives them 625k in cap relief. That means they'd have 2.6million. So they could grab Hansen without having to trade Dell in addition. 

Hansen and Miller@50% for Goldobin + Karlsson + Sorensen? (Seeing as they have no 2nd or 3rd rounders then)

True but he'd get grabbed off waivers, so might as well make it part of our deal. 

I think Hansen would be an awesome fit for SJ if they have the cap space.  A big reason they lost the Cup last year was that they couldn't handle Pittsburgh's team speed. A guy like Hansen would help them in that area.  I would hate to have to play against Hansen on a regular basis, but would love to see him win a cup.  

4 hours ago, Brobidus said:

Copied from the link:

Id absorb salary for miller, throw in Hansen and ask for TIMO MIER.

GET 

ER

DONE 

Or both goldobin and lebanc 

That would get us a LW and RW which could easily add to our team.

15 minutes ago, orcasgonewild said:

GET 

ER

DONE 

Yeah the only prospect the Sharks have that I like is Mier. They are going all in this play offs, we should take advantage. 

Hansen + Miller salaries retained throw in Megna as sweetner lol 

3 hours ago, Brobidus said:

No way they have to give us a first somewhere in that deal

9 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

We can easily keep 1/2 of Millers salary so a lot of teams could absorb that and we could take back an expiring contract as well with 3 mil from Miller and all the LTIR cash we have so for sure something could get done here.

I don't know about all the moves we could make, but this is definitely something in our favor. For sure, a team looking to get rid of a dead contract on a player they have no use for is attractive. Would it make sense for us? If it prevents having to absolutely raid Utica, if we manage to trade several players, it might be feasible.

I'm all for bringing up Grenier for exactly one reason. Does he have ANYTHING to offer at the NHL level? If so, great, and we can keep him around on the cheap. If not, then he's an RFA (I think) at season's end and no great loss.

10 hours ago, orcasgonewild said:

GET 

ER

DONE 

Ur outta your mind to even think SJS will do Hansen and Miller for their #1 prospect or at least a top prospect.. Sure they may go all in, but if they're willing to dangle Meir they will do it for a better player on another team. 

Archived