The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Score - Millers contract makes it difficult to move

Nucksfansince91

1 hour ago, Iced Canucks said:

What do you guys think are the two other teams on his no trade clause, obviously the three California teams but who else. 

I'd say LA,  San Jose,  Anaheim.  Vegas. The last one is a mystery. If I was in such position, I'd waste the last pick as not a real option. Montreal...it's an option, but not a realistic trade option.

Anaheim's window is shrinking and they haven't been knocking it out of the park this year. I think they have to be looking for upgrades at their forward positions (a bunch of bottom six guys not contributing) and finding a back-up that's better than Bernier.

Burrows-Hansen-Miller ---- all of them would be solid additions to that team. Lots of good young defensemen on that team that we could take!

A sample dream:

To Anaheim:

Ryan Miller (UFA)

Jannik Hansen (2.5 million)

Alex Burrows

To Vancouver:

Jonathon Bernier (UFA) - cap dump

Hampus Lindholm / Sami Vatanen

Draft Pick(s)

Anaheim gets forward depth; opens up space on their blue-line for guys like Montour, Theadore, Megna AND let's them do a 7-3-1 for Expansion Draft next year.

ED:

-Gibson

-Bieksa / Fowler / Lindholm or Vatanen

-Perry / Getzlaf / Kesler / Rakell / Silfverberg / Hansen / Cogliano

Canucks could then parlay their glut of defensemen into a top-end forward. 

I don't think Anaheim is too confident in Bernier as their back up. I see a goalie swap happening...berniers full cap hit 4.15 mil (He is a UFA at the end of season like miller) and a couple picks (maybe get a 2nd and a 3rd...maybe lol), for miller and his full cap hit (6 mil). I see this trade actually working for both sides.  The Ducks get a reliable proven goaltender to head into the playoffs with. The Canucks get a chance to see what Markstrom does for the rest of the season. Bernier gives them a decent back up to finish the year. If Markstrom fails to make a starting roll stick for the last 20 games of the season, re-sign Miller in the off season. We know he likes playing here.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are you saying we should add picks to move Miller?  Why not keep him, and our picks, and have him sit on the bench as the backup to Markstrom?

I have nothing really to base this on other than a gut feeling. But if Miller is gone it wouldn't surprise me if markstrom fell apart. I'm just not comfortable with relying completely on him.

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I think you guys are out to lunch on his 5 teams. Does he want to play in California? Yes, but he probably wants a cup more. He can always sign next season on a California team, but this is probably his last real chance to chase a cup, I'll be surprised if he doesn't fill his list with heavyweight teams regardless of their location.

LOL I love your sig!

Would be good to get anything for Miller but if we don't offload him, I wouldn't mind keeping his around. The Leafs game where things got out of hand showed the kind of leader Miller can be and he will be great serviceable backup next season if Marky takes the starter's job away from him say Marky comes out of training camp and impresses. Re-sign him for an extra year worth $4-4.5 mill and that'll set things perfectly up for Demko the following season as a backup after a year being Utica's starter. 

2 hours ago, Iced Canucks said:

I've heard the list was submitted before the season started as well so Dallas is probably on there 

If Miller is on a team, any team, that is in the playoffs, he won't be seeing anything of his wife anyway unless she comes to him.   

The 5 team list is a moot point right now. Miller could go anywhere

I think if I'm a GM I'm thinking back to Miller's time in St Louis and considering him a risk.  

I doubt he gets traded. If he does its a 3rd. Tops. 

2 hours ago, on the cycle said:

How?.....How is his contract difficult to move? The Canucks can retain up to $3M and it's only for the rest of the season. Plus every team has a bad contract.

This is a dumb report, if there are NHL teams that actually believe this, they aren't very intelligent or creative.

If it's about Miller not allowing a trade because of his list then the Canucks ought to tell him "look you can either expand your list and you can play on another team in the playoffs, or you can have an early off season. Your choice."

Time off with pay and goes home to his wife? Some punishment. lmao

I'm fairly certain that because Vegas hasn't gotten everything finalized yet and thus can't actually make trades with anyone yet that if the Canucks ask for a list he can't unclude Vegas because they can't actaully make a trade there at this point.

On one hand I think it has to be the California teams and a couple of playoff teams like Pittsburgh or Columbus. On the other hand he could just pull a Vrbata and say pheonix, carolina, detroit, new jersey, colorado. None of which will make a trade for a rental in net and then he wouldn't have to go anywhere. 

5 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Have fun being disappointed then.  

I don't think they are putting much thought into trading him anyway.  

The team likes Miller, and Miller likes the team.  

agreed.  it doesn't make sense to move him if they want him to mentor demko. :) 

Expect a markstrom deal at the next deadline or off season lol. :D

Archived