The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) My Offseason - Bit of a long read

Pears

Been a while since I've done one of these so I figured I'd give it a go since it's that part of the season. Numbers were used from CapFriendly so they should be accurate. 

Current cap space: $1,864,303

Trade deadline

To Vancouver: Jordan Greenway, 2017 1st

To Minnesota: Jannik Hansen, 2018 2nd

Why Vancouver does this:  Pretty straight forward. One of Baertschi or Granlund will be lost in the expansion draft if we don't trade Hansen, and he's arguably our most valuable forward who we can afford to trade. 

Why Minnesota does this: They're in win now mode and have never been this good. They have a crazy well rounded team and a guy like Hansen could be the last piece they need to beat Chicago and possibly win a cup. The price is a little steep, but I'm sure they'd pay that for a possible championship. 

To Vancouver: Sam Steel

To Anaheim: Ryan Miller (50%)

Why Vancouver does this: We need to get as many young forwards as we can, and Steel is a good, young, playmaking center with excellent leadership qualities, the kind of player Benning is looking for. 

Why Anaheim does this: Long story short, they need a legit back up. Gibson can't play upwards of 70 games a season and with their back up situation this year, Anaheim might be forced to do that if they don't solve it. Miller right now could be the most valuable goalie available. Steel might be a steep price, but Miller can give the Ducks 2.5-3.5 more years of good back up goaltending, it could be somewhat worth it. 

To Vancouver: 2017 3rd+conditional 2017 5th

To Montreal: Alex Burrows

Why Vancouver does this: Burrows has been one of the best players over the last few years and has been an incredible hard worker. His contract is up after this year and there's no point keeping him, he's more than earned the right to play for the cup this year. 

Why Montreal does this: They're in a hole right now, so adding a veteran like Burrows would be a big addition to that locker room. He's not a 25 goal scorer anymore, but he'd be a great 3rd-4th liner on that team. 

To Vancouver: 2017 1st+2017 6th

To Tampa: Alexander Edler

Why Vancouver does this: After Hansen, Edler could net the best return of the players we can afford to trade. 

Why Tampa does this: As of right now they're six points out of a playoff spot, so getting a solid top 4 like Edler would be a big boost and would take some pressure off of Hedman. 

Draft day

To Vancouver: Det 2017 1st (7th*), 2017 3rd

To Detroit: Van 2017 1st (3rd*)

To Vancouver: 2017 5th

To Columbus: Derek Dorsett

To Vancouver: Matt Duchene

To Colorado: Ben Hutton, Markus Granlund, Andrey Pedan, 2017 1st (TB), 2017 3rd (Det)

Why Vancouver does this: We still don't have a successor for Henrik, and if we have a shot at Duchene we have to take it. Giving up a fan favourite like Hutton and a good young player like Granlund would hurt, but this is close to what Colorado would want. 

Why Colorado does this: They're looking pretty solid on the right side with Barrie and Johnson, but besides Zadorov the left side is very weak. Hutton might not be a true top four (yet), but will get every opportunity to become that guy on that defense. 

Vegas takes Sbisa in the expansion draft

Draft picks:

Total picks: 11

1st x2
2nd x2
3rd x2
4th
5th x2
6th
7th

Van 1st (from Det): 7th overall - RW Owen Tippett
Van 1st (from MIN): 30th* - LW Nikita Popugaev
Van 2nd: 34th - LW Issac Ratcliffe
Van 2nd (from CBJ): - 59th* - G Stuart Skinner
Van 3rd: 65th* - D Luke Martin
Van 3rd (from MTL) 88th* - C Adam Ruzicka

Cap space for re-signings: $33,316,386

Re-signings:

Bo Horvat: 3 years, $5 million per
Erik Gudbranson: 3 years, $4 million per
Nikita Tryamkin: 3 years, $3 million per
Brock Boeser: Standard ELC
Adam Gaudette: Standard ELC

Cap space for free agency: $20,391,386

**Salary cap goes up $2 million**

Signings:

TJ Oshie: 4 years, $5.5 million per
Karl Alzner: 5 years, $5.5 million per
Alex Burrows: 2 years, 2 million per
Michal Neuvirth: 1 year, $3 million

Remaining cap: $4,391,386

H. Sedin - Duchene - Oshie
D. Sedin - Horvat - Boeser
Baertschi - Sutter - Eriksson
Burrows - Gaunce - Virtanen

Alzner - Gudbranson
Juolevi - Tanev
Tryamkin - Stecher

Markstrom
Neuvirth

What the Future could look like:

Steel - Duchene - Tippett
Popugaev - Horvat - Boeser
Greenway - Sutter - Virtanen
Baertschi - Gaunce - Ratcliffe

Juolevi - Tanev
Tryamkin - Gudbranson
Pedan - Stecher

Demko
Markstrom/Skinner

I took a little different approach to the draft than most. I think it would easier to draft wingers like Tippett and Popugaev, as they would help round out our forward group. I think Oshie would be a pretty good fit here. It's pretty unlikely Washington will be able to re-sign him (same reasoning for Alzner), and he's from Everett, so he could have some interest playing close to home. Alzner is someone we should target especially if we trade Edler. He's still fairly young at 28, and his experience and solid defensive play would really help our young defense develop. 

Thoughts?

I like most of where you went there, I don't mind moving down in the draft,  but I don't think Oshie has any real incentive to sign here, Alzner on the other hand is a good idea. After Erikkson though they might play it safe this year 

The pieces for Duchene are fine but I think he gets traded somewhere else and hits UFA, just a hunch.

Im also a fan of splitting up the twins but I'd like Hank still playing C

Id be happy with everything else

9 minutes ago, Toews said:

Tampa will not trade their 1st especially since there is a good chance they miss the playoffs. They would most certainly want to at least add protections to that pick. The Anaheim and Minnesota trades are grand larceny.

They aren't really. Maybe the Miller trade but sending a goalie like him to a division rival increases the value. Minnesota has a ton of B-A grade prospects so they can afford to move one for someone like Hansen. 

42 minutes ago, Pears said:

Been a while since I've done one of these so I figured I'd give it a go since it's that part of the season. Numbers were used from CapFriendly so they should be accurate. 

Current cap space: $1,864,303

Trade deadline

To Vancouver: Jordan Greenway, 2017 1st

To Minnesota: Jannik Hansen, 2018 2nd

Why Vancouver does this:  Pretty straight forward. One of Baertschi or Granlund will be lost in the expansion draft if we don't trade Hansen, and he's arguably our most valuable forward who we can afford to trade. 

Why Minnesota does this: They're in win now mode and have never been this good. They have a crazy well rounded team and a guy like Hansen could be the last piece they need to beat Chicago and possibly win a cup. The price is a little steep, but I'm sure they'd pay that for a possible championship. 

To Vancouver: Sam Steel

To Anaheim: Ryan Miller (50%)

Why Vancouver does this: We need to get as many young forwards as we can, and Steel is a good, young, playmaking center with excellent leadership qualities, the kind of player Benning is looking for. 

Why Anaheim does this: Long story short, they need a legit back up. Gibson can't play upwards of 70 games a season and with their back up situation this year, Anaheim might be forced to do that if they don't solve it. Miller right now could be the most valuable goalie available. Steel might be a steep price, but Miller can give the Ducks 2.5-3.5 more years of good back up goaltending, it could be somewhat worth it. 

To Vancouver: 2017 3rd+conditional 2017 5th

To Montreal: Alex Burrows

Why Vancouver does this: Burrows has been one of the best players over the last few years and has been an incredible hard worker. His contract is up after this year and there's no point keeping him, he's more than earned the right to play for the cup this year. 

Why Montreal does this: They're in a hole right now, so adding a veteran like Burrows would be a big addition to that locker room. He's not a 25 goal scorer anymore, but he'd be a great 3rd-4th liner on that team. 

To Vancouver: 2017 1st+2017 6th

To Tampa: Alexander Edler

Why Vancouver does this: After Hansen, Edler could net the best return of the players we can afford to trade. 

Why Tampa does this: As of right now they're six points out of a playoff spot, so getting a solid top 4 like Edler would be a big boost and would take some pressure off of Hedman. 

Draft day

To Vancouver: Det 2017 1st (7th*), 2017 3rd

To Detroit: Van 2017 1st (3rd*)

To Vancouver: 2017 5th

To Columbus: Derek Dorsett

To Vancouver: Matt Duchene

To Colorado: Ben Hutton, Markus Granlund, Andrey Pedan, 2017 1st (TB), 2017 3rd (Det)

Why Vancouver does this: We still don't have a successor for Henrik, and if we have a shot at Duchene we have to take it. Giving up a fan favourite like Hutton and a good young player like Granlund would hurt, but this is close to what Colorado would want. 

Why Colorado does this: They're looking pretty solid on the right side with Barrie and Johnson, but besides Zadorov the left side is very weak. Hutton might not be a true top four (yet), but will get every opportunity to become that guy on that defense. 

Vegas takes Sbisa in the expansion draft

Draft picks:

Total picks: 11

1st x2
2nd x2
3rd x2
4th
5th x2
6th
7th

Van 1st (from Det): 7th overall - RW Owen Tippett
Van 1st (from MIN): 30th* - LW Nikita Popugaev
Van 2nd: 34th - LW Issac Ratcliffe
Van 2nd (from CBJ): - 59th* - G Stuart Skinner
Van 3rd: 65th* - D Luke Martin
Van 3rd (from MTL) 88th* - C Adam Ruzicka

Cap space for re-signings: $33,316,386

Re-signings:

Bo Horvat: 3 years, $5 million per
Erik Gudbranson: 3 years, $4 million per
Nikita Tryamkin: 3 years, $3 million per
Brock Boeser: Standard ELC
Adam Gaudette: Standard ELC

Cap space for free agency: $20,391,386

**Salary cap goes up $2 million**

Signings:

TJ Oshie: 4 years, $5.5 million per
Karl Alzner: 5 years, $5.5 million per
Alex Burrows: 2 years, 2 million per
Michal Neuvirth: 1 year, $3 million

Remaining cap: $4,391,386

H. Sedin - Duchene - Oshie
D. Sedin - Horvat - Boeser
Baertschi - Sutter - Eriksson
Burrows - Gaunce - Virtanen

Alzner - Gudbranson
Juolevi - Tanev
Tryamkin - Stecher

Markstrom
Neuvirth

What the Future could look like:

Steel - Duchene - Tippett
Popugaev - Horvat - Boeser
Greenway - Sutter - Virtanen
Baertschi - Gaunce - Ratcliffe

Juolevi - Tanev
Tryamkin - Gudbranson
Pedan - Stecher

Demko
Markstrom/Skinner

I took a little different approach to the draft than most. I think it would easier to draft wingers like Tippett and Popugaev, as they would help round out our forward group. I think Oshie would be a pretty good fit here. It's pretty unlikely Washington will be able to re-sign him (same reasoning for Alzner), and he's from Everett, so he could have some interest playing close to home. Alzner is someone we should target especially if we trade Edler. He's still fairly young at 28, and his experience and solid defensive play would really help our young defense develop. 

Thoughts?

I really like how thought out it was. But instead of getting 26 year old duchene Id rather keep that first and Granlund.

Because the more prospects and 1sts we have the stronger we will be.

I love that greenway trade for Hansen because they are one of the teams really interested in Hansen and canucks r asking for a top prospect or young forward.

Great post except the duchene part just kidding LOL 

5 minutes ago, Pears said:

They aren't really. Maybe the Miller trade but sending a goalie like him to a division rival increases the value. Minnesota has a ton of B-A grade prospects so they can afford to move one for someone like Hansen. 

A rental goalie being acquired to be the backup isn't worth more than a 3rd. The Sharks paid a conditional 4th last year for Reimer and he had similar numbers to Miller playing on the 30th place team. Greenway on top of a 1st puts it into grand larceny territory. I don't think the Wild trade any of their grade A prospects like Kunin, Tuch, Kaprizov or Greenway.

This is according to some a weak draft year. 

If anything I'd trade Edler, and Subban, and our 2nd rounder to Colorado for their 1st round pick. 

(Assuming that with Columbus's higher position in the standings and a weak draft they would probably give us this years 2nd rounder)

Iginla will be off the books this year, and they have a glaring need for defensemen. And getting their 1st rounder in a weak draft would probably

be more likely than Duchene or Landeskog. Besides they would still have both those players to get picks and prospects back. 

Then there is a remote possibility that we get 1-2 in the draft. But knowing Canucks luck we'll get 4th and 10th, LOL.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is according to some a weak draft year. 

If anything I'd trade Edler, and Subban, and our 2nd rounder to Colorado for their 1st round pick. 

(Assuming that with Columbus's higher position in the standings and a weak draft they would probably give us this years 2nd rounder)

Iginla will be off the books this year, and they have a glaring need for defensemen. And getting their 1st rounder in a weak draft would probably

be more likely than Duchene or Landeskog. Besides they would still have both those players to get picks and prospects back. 

Then there is a remote possibility that we get 1-2 in the draft. But knowing Canucks luck we'll get 4th and 10th, LOL.

Colorado are not going to be competing any time soon.  They are looking for young players that will grow with their new core: MacKinnon, Jost and Rantanen are the untouchables.  Everyone else can be had.  It's teardown time.   It's players in their early 20s that they want. 

With the odds in their favour to win the lottery there's no real incentive for them to move their pick.  They also feel that they are not under any time constraint to make a move.

Archived