The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Package Hansen, Burrows and Miller TOGETHER

In 1991 the Canucks made a pivotal trade in Canucks history.  I could see a contender wanting a similar trade but this time we are providing the playoff ammo:

To Vancouver: Cliff Ronning, Geoff Courtnall, Sergio Momesso and Robert Dirk and a 5th round pick

To St Louis: Dan Quinn and Garth Butcher

The 4 players that Vancouver received all played vital rolls in the team's playoff run(s).  I could see a contender wanting a similar type trade to boost their playoff hopes.

I'm thinking a playoff team with plans of a deep push would consider adding all 3 of our players for depth.  In return I'd expect a really good package.  Starting bid is a top B+/A- prospect and a draft pick for all three and possibly a cap dump and/or salary held back. 

The team receiving would get a great player for next year in Hansen and 2 strong rental players.  Miller would be a safe insurance policy and they need a backup goalie.  Burrows would be a tough bottom 6 and is buddies with Kesler and Bieksa.

Sekeres hinted at this as a possibility on his "Welcome Matt" segment on the today show, mentioning a bigger trade between Anaheim and Vancouver could be possible.

12 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

Most contending teams are tight against the cap. Even if we retained %50 on both Burrows and Miller, the team we're dealing with would still be taking on 7.75M in cap. We would need to take on a contract or two to make this happen.

I mentioned a cap damp and/or salary retained.   I should change that to a dump AND salary retained. But by the end of the year those salaries are only like 20% counted but I agree salary has to come back.  For Anaheim Bernier at 4.15 plus something else it might work. 

7 minutes ago, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

I mentioned a cap damp and/or salary retained.   I should change that to a dump AND salary retained. But by the end of the year those salaries are only like 20% counted but I agree salary has to come back.  For Anaheim Bernier at 4.15 plus something else it might work. 

I've just done some reading a players cap hit during a mid season trade. I always knew that the salary was pro-rated depending on how many games the player had played, but I thought the cap hit remained the same no matter how far into the season they were.

I understand now that I was wrong and that the team we're dealing with would only take on a fraction of the cap (based on how many days of the season had passed). That is my mistake and it makes your proposal significantly more plausible. Sorry for the confusion. 

23 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

Most contending teams are tight against the cap. Even if we retained %50 on both Burrows and Miller, the team we're dealing with would still be taking on 7.75M in cap. We would need to take on a contract or two to make this happen.

Miller 6m

Hansen 2.5

Burrows 4.5

13m / 2 = 6.5

Bernier is 4.15

Even if we took 2 slugs making 1M we make this work all day.

I think it makes sense for Anaheim and Hansen and Miller have already been heavily speculated to having links to Anaheim.  Burrows just makes sense considering his ties to Kesler and Bieksa.

6 minutes ago, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

Miller 6m

Hansen 2.5

Burrows 4.5

13m / 2 = 6.5

Bernier is 4.15

Even if we took 2 slugs making 1M we make this work all day.

I think it makes sense for Anaheim and Hansen and Miller have already been heavily speculated to having links to Anaheim.  Burrows just makes sense considering his ties to Kesler and Bieksa.

Yeah, I screwed up on my math, but I was wrong before I got there anyways (see my post above).

Edit: I didn't screw up on my math! You can't divide Hansen's contract by 2. A team can only have 3 retained salaries at any given time. With Luongo on board, we would want to retain for Burrows and Miller. Hansen's full cap would have to be transferred making 7.75M. Not that it's important because the full cap wouldn't be transferred due to the time of season that the trade was made. Regardless, I feel a little less stupid knowing that I calculated my first post correctly lol.

6 hours ago, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

In 1991 the Canucks made a pivotal trade in Canucks history.  I could see a contender wanting a similar trade but this time we are providing the playoff ammo:

To Vancouver: Cliff Ronning, Geoff Courtnall, Sergio Momesso and Robert Dirk and a 5th round pick

To St Louis: Dan Quinn and Garth Butcher

The 4 players that Vancouver received all played vital rolls in the team's playoff run(s).  I could see a contender wanting a similar type trade to boost their playoff hopes.

I'm thinking a playoff team with plans of a deep push would consider adding all 3 of our players for depth.  In return I'd expect a really good package.  Starting bid is a top B+/A- prospect and a draft pick for all three and possibly a cap dump and/or salary held back. 

The team receiving would get a great player for next year in Hansen and 2 strong rental players.  Miller would be a safe insurance policy and they need a backup goalie.  Burrows would be a tough bottom 6 and is buddies with Kesler and Bieksa.

Sekeres hinted at this as a possibility on his "Welcome Matt" segment on the today show, mentioning a bigger trade between Anaheim and Vancouver could be possible.

There was no cap in that era when that trade went down. There has been lots of speculation that Anaheim has a self imposed cap limit by the owners, besides i doubt any contender will make a massive multi player trade. They usually just add to a depth position or somewhere they are weak in due to injury.

I posted this in another thread as a dream-deal. Who knows *shrugs*

To Anaheim:

Ryan Miller (UFA)

Jannik Hansen (2.5 million)

Alex Burrows (UFA)

To Vancouver:

Jonathon Bernier (UFA) - cap dump

Hampus Lindholm / Sami Vatanen

Draft Pick(s)

Anaheim gets forward depth; opens up space on their blue-line for guys like Montour, Theadore, Megna AND let's them do a 7-3-1 for Expansion Draft next year.

ED:

-Gibson

-Bieksa / Fowler / Lindholm or Vatanen

-Perry / Getzlaf / Kesler / Rakell / Silfverberg / Hansen / Cogliano

Canucks could then parlay their glut of defensemen into a top-end forward. 

11 hours ago, Ruxin'sVinegarStrokes said:

Probably would have to change it to cap dump(s) and max salary retained for all that to work. As much as Miller, Burrows and Hansen's cap hits are only a portion by the trade deadline, so are the cap hit(s) of any dump we take back.

There's a reason why we don't see trades with a lot of pieces moving in the cap era. They were complex enough before.

5 hours ago, ice orca said:

There was no cap in that era when that trade went down. There has been lots of speculation that Anaheim has a self imposed cap limit by the owners, besides i doubt any contender will make a massive multi player trade. They usually just add to a depth position or somewhere they are weak in due to injury.

Bingo, and the Ducks are already over $4M into LTI with $77M in cap hits currently. That's not a team that's taking on more cap in a deal.

Archived