The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Joins Team 1040 Feb 24

AlwaysACanuckFan

"So we've been scouting some guys, they look real good, we like what we see, Virtanen is becoming a better player and learning, We haven't asked anybody to waive yet, We've got some calls from some teams, and Miller is really solid this year"

Thanks for your time Jim Benning.

7 minutes ago, brownky said:

"So we've been scouting some guys, they look real good, we like what we see, Virtanen is becoming a better player and learning, We haven't asked anybody to waive yet, We've got some calls from some teams, and Miller is really solid this year"

Is that you, Jim? Certainly sounds like you.

43 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

If I was Benning I would not be going anywhere near these guys at this time of year. Nothing good can come from this...

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The whole interview will be Benning dancing around answering anything concrete. He'll give the usual "we're looking for a top 6 scoring winger"

13 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

My guess is that Benning will say "We are going to try to get some draft picks and prospects so we can be real gud in the future". And thats it.

11 minutes ago, brownky said:

I always thought Benning was pretty straight forward and honest with the media, more so than most GM's.  You guys are describing Gillis.

That being said what's the over/under on 'you know'?  My bet is 18

Sorry no deals at the TDL this year...

Benning then states 1 or 2 of these...

Sun was in  my eyes so could not answer my phone yesterday.......

Car would not start so could not get in the office to get it done...

Family emergency - dog very  sick..... may not make it...... just had to stay home the last couple of weeks... we have no cell reception and our internet was not working 

Or the classic -    Airline lost Grandma's body shipping it back for the funeral ......

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe it's to announce a BIG trade?  Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

45 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

He's just going to talk about his plans this week... calm down bro LOL

36 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

It's just to preload the excuses of why he did nothing at the TDL :lol:

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The whole interview will be Benning dancing around answering anything concrete. He'll give the usual "we're looking for a top 6 scoring winger"

11 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

My guess is that Benning will say "We are going to try to get some draft picks and prospects so we can be real gud in the future". And thats it.

10 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Hes gonna say that if they go on a 5 game winning streak they will be right back in it....

Interesting predictions. I'm going with @Darius71.

Most of the playoff prediction websites have the Canucks' probability of making the playoffs in the low single digits -- somewhere between 2% and 6%. But I don't think Benning will give up hope of being the worst the team in the playoffs.

One way of looking at the predictions is as follows. The final playoff spot right now is held by Calgary. They are 8 pts ahead and Vancouver has one game in hand. Calgary holds the tiebreak advantage. Assuming Calgary plays at about 50% for their next 6 games, the Canucks could catch Calgary if they win the next 7 in a row while Calgary gets 6 pts in 6 games. Both teams would then have 15 games left and the Canucks would be one pt. ahead (72 pts. vs. 71 pts). That is approximately what the Canucks would need to do sometime in the rest of the season. What is the chance of winning 7 games in a row or doing something similar (like 8 out of 9 or 10 out of 12) at any time in the rest of the season? Maybe about 2% or 3%. That is worse than the chance (in poker) of drawing to an inside straight with one card to go ("on the river").

Benning:

Yaa, we're talking to teams. I'm on the phone a lot right now, and like, if something makes sense we'll do it. I don't want to get into details about which of our players we've talked to, but we're working towards making the team better now and in the future. With the expansion draft this year it's gonna be tough to make trades, like lots of teams are still trying to figure out if they want to work on that now or wait till the offseason. We've got a plan in place if we trade some guys and if we don't at the deadline for the expansion process. Ya we're going to keep talking to teams and see if we can get something done that makes sense. 

24 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

He can't name names, he can't name teams he's talking with, he can't really say anything substantial or probably won't say something we don't already know.

yeah its very limiting. it's kind of risky. if the talk show hosts bring up you did nothing last year can u assure us something will be done?

that will instantly put added pressure on Jim and weaken his hand.  hope they keep it simple and Jim doesn't say to much.

Archived