The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blues re-sign Patrik Berglund

How about a top six forward UFA  for next year  TJ Oshie ?

Do you think we have the cap space to pick him up ?  I wonder where our cap space is...... 

To be honest not really a huge fan of signing these 29-30 yr olds to 5-6 year deals....

Here is a solid read with charts for you.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2017/02/14/the-risk-of-tj-oshies-next-contract/

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

How about a top six forward UFA  for next year  TJ Oshie ?

Do you think we have the cap space to pick him up ?  I wonder where our cap space is...... 

A 30 year old 30 goal 60 point winger? Let's sign him to a 6 x 6 contract.... oh wait! 

On 2/25/2017 at 3:27 AM, Rick Blight said:

What part of Berglund's game is better than Sutter's? Really strange how CDC sees this as a good contract for the Blues but if the Canucks offer a 5 year contract to a 28 year old it is automatically a bad contract and our GM must have lost his mind.

Ok. So our GM is so amazing with trades and signings that we are still a bottomfeeder this year with an average prospect pool. 

In conclusion? Let's see some results, Bennings approaching the 3 year mark as a GM already. Our standings say everything. 

11 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Ok. So our GM is so amazing with trades and signings that we are still a bottomfeeder this year with an average prospect pool. 

In conclusion? Let's see some results, Bennings approaching the 3 year mark as a GM already. Our standings say everything. 

Craig Button would disagree with you on the prospect pool. His list of top 50 prospects not yet in the NHL has 4 Canucks....no NHL team has more on the list.

8 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Craig Button would disagree with you on the prospect pool. His list of top 50 prospects not yet in the NHL has 4 Canucks....no NHL team has more on the list.

why dont you look at Calgary's farm team, and guys like Tkachuk, Bennett and tell us that we have better prospects. And Calgary is just a random example I pull up. 

8 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

The 2 problems are, the Canucks' prospect pool is not nearly deep enough. And we are also limited in elite young players that are in the NHL. For instance, just look at the Western Canada teams:

Vancouver: Horvat, Boeser, Juolevi, Baertschi, Demko, Stetcher, Gudbranson, Granlund, Hutton, Tryamkin, Virtanen, Gaunce, Brisebois, Lockwood, Cassels...

Edmonton: McDavid, Draisatl, Poolparty, RNH, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Caggiula, Slepyshev, Benson, Reinhart, Khaira, Samuelsson, Benning, Jones, Bear, Russell...

Calgary: Gaudreau, Hamilton, Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk, Gillies, Andersson, Jankowski, Shinkaruk, Poirier, Kylington, Klimchuk, Pribyl, Mangiapane, McDonald...

Winnipeg: Laine, Scheifele, Trouba, Ehlers, Hellebuyck, Connor, Lowry, Morrissey, Roslovic, Armia, Petan, Stanley, Lemieux, Dano, Tanev, Poolman, Kostalek, Phillips, Melchiori...

Each team has SIGNIFICANTLY better elite young talent on their current roster. And (with the exception of maybe Edmonton) they have a deeper prospect pool coming up. We're farther behind than many realize.

Benning has uncovered some good finds with his picks, but he needs more of them, and higher ones. Not selling Hamhuis and/or Vrbata last year was a big loss. Hopefully he gets the job done this year.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Not selling Hamhuis for a 4th round pick when dallas tried to bend him over knowing it was a one team market and/or waiving Vrbata because no team on his doctored list wanted him last year was a big loss. Hopefully he gets the job done this year.

Fixed

53 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Fixed

Vrbata not wanting to go may be true, but backing himself into a corner with Hamhuis and getting taken advantage of is not a valid defense.

It was Benning's job to get a deal done, and he failed. Blaming another GM's ruthlessness just shines the light on how he misjudged his competition.

57 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The 2 problems are, the Canucks' prospect pool is not nearly deep enough. And we are also limited in elite young players that are in the NHL. For instance, just look at the Western Canada teams:

Vancouver: Horvat, Boeser, Juolevi, Baertschi, Demko, Stetcher, Gudbranson, Granlund, Hutton, Tryamkin, Virtanen, Gaunce, Brisebois, Lockwood, Cassels...

Edmonton: McDavid, Draisatl, Poolparty, RNH, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Caggiula, Slepyshev, Benson, Reinhart, Khaira, Samuelsson, Benning, Jones, Bear, Russell...

Calgary: Gaudreau, Hamilton, Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk, Gillies, Andersson, Jankowski, Shinkaruk, Poirier, Kylington, Klimchuk, Pribyl, Mangiapane, McDonald...

Winnipeg: Laine, Scheifele, Trouba, Ehlers, Hellebuyck, Connor, Lowry, Morrissey, Roslovic, Armia, Petan, Stanley, Lemieux, Dano, Tanev, Poolman, Kostalek, Phillips, Melchiori...

Each team has SIGNIFICANTLY better elite young talent on their current roster. And (with the exception of maybe Edmonton) they have a deeper prospect pool coming up. We're farther behind than many realize.

Benning has uncovered some good finds with his picks, but he needs more of them, and higher ones. Not selling Hamhuis and/or Vrbata last year was a big loss. Hopefully he gets the job done this year.

Valid points that I don't dispute. I don't believe I ever commented about the "elite young players that are in the NHL" but I would agree that we are somewhat lacking in that regard. We have elite talent at each position (Button's list) in our system but again I somewhat agree that depth may be lacking.

Having said that, the other 3 Western teams are coming off of years of ineptitude and should have deeper prospect pools than ours and more elite young talent than the Canucks. It should not be a surprise to anyone that the Penguins, Rangers and Kings have 3 of the worst ranked prospect pools in the NHL. Years of success leads to this. The pace of change with building a successful prospect pool is what I am concerned with and I personally don't see a reason to be alarmed at this point.

pit.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true

27. Pittsburgh Penguins
Previous rank: 30

I'm not going to sit here and pretend the Penguins' system is sunshine and roses in the bottom half of their top 10 prospects. It's a problem. However, despite trading so many high picks in recent years, a second-round pick ( Daniel Sprong) and a third-round pick ( Matt Murray) have given the top of their system equal weight with many other NHL organizations.

nyr.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true

28. New York Rangers
Previous rank: 29

There are positives and negatives to the Rangers' system. On the negative side, there is a lack of high-end talent in this pipeline after Pavel Buchnevich. That said, the depth isn't that bad, particularly when considering how few high picks the Rangers have had in recent years (including their top pick this year being No. 81 overall). I guess what I'm saying is: It's bad, but it could be a lot worse.

la.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true

29. Los Angeles Kings
Previous rank: 27

When you make one first-round pick in four years, and make five second-round picks but subsequently trade two of those players away, this is the end result. It's not horrific, but it's bad.

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Valid points that I don't dispute. I don't believe I ever commented about the "elite young players that are in the NHL" but I would agree that we are somewhat lacking in that regard. We have elite talent at each position (Button's list) in our system but again I somewhat agree that depth may be lacking.

Having said that, the other 3 Western teams are coming off of years of ineptitude and should have deeper prospect pools than ours and more elite young talent than the Canucks. It should not be a surprise to anyone that the Penguins, Rangers and Kings have 3 of the worst ranked prospect pools in the NHL. Years of success leads to this. The pace of change with building a successful prospect pool is what I am concerned with and I personally don't see a reason to be alarmed at this point.

pit.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true

27. Pittsburgh Penguins
Previous rank: 30

I'm not going to sit here and pretend the Penguins' system is sunshine and roses in the bottom half of their top 10 prospects. It's a problem. However, despite trading so many high picks in recent years, a second-round pick ( Daniel Sprong) and a third-round pick ( Matt Murray) have given the top of their system equal weight with many other NHL organizations.

nyr.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true

28. New York Rangers
Previous rank: 29

There are positives and negatives to the Rangers' system. On the negative side, there is a lack of high-end talent in this pipeline after Pavel Buchnevich. That said, the depth isn't that bad, particularly when considering how few high picks the Rangers have had in recent years (including their top pick this year being No. 81 overall). I guess what I'm saying is: It's bad, but it could be a lot worse.

la.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true

29. Los Angeles Kings
Previous rank: 27

When you make one first-round pick in four years, and make five second-round picks but subsequently trade two of those players away, this is the end result. It's not horrific, but it's bad.

How does Chicago seem to always have so many draft picks, and (as a result) so many emerging young players?  

14 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Vrbata not wanting to go may be true, but backing himself into a corner with Hamhuis and getting taken advantage of is not a valid defense.

It was Benning's job to get a deal done, and he failed. Blaming another GM's ruthlessness just shines the light on how he misjudged his competition.

if there is only one team to negotiate with there is no competition :blink:

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How does Chicago seem to always have so many draft picks, and (as a result) so many emerging young players?  

They are still not very highly ranked with their prospect pool. In previous seasons they have been very good at signing free agents from the college ranks and Europe/Russia. (Panarin for example).

chi.png?w=50&h=50&transparent=true

20. Chicago Blackhawks
Previous rank: 16

The last few years, I've made mention of the Chicago system lacking a ton of high-end talent but being quite deep in solid talent. I look at the Chicago system and ponder who is trending up, and the answer is there hasn't been a ton of guys who really shot up last season. The situation looks a lot different here than a few years ago, with a clear top echelon that includes the top four prospects in the system (Alex DeBrincat, Gustav Forsling, Ville Pokka and Nick Schmaltz), some decent depth in their AHL ranks and then question marks after that.

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

By the way Alf I think you are overestimating Chicago's drafting related to emerging young players. They only have two players on their current roster from their last 4 drafts. Both are former 1st round picks (Schmaltz and Hartman) and both have had very limited success to this point. Their team is built around their veterans that were drafted years ago, plus Panarin and Hossa.

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

By the way Alf I think you are overestimating Chicago's drafting related to emerging young players. They only have two players on their current roster from their last 4 drafts. Both are former 1st round picks (Schmaltz and Hartman) and both have had very limited success to this point. Their team is built around their veterans that were drafted years ago, plus Panarin and Hossa.

The Hawks always seem to have plenty of picks though, and we (the rebuilding team) don't.  How come?

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Hawks always seem to have plenty of picks though, and we (the rebuilding team) don't.  How come?

They may have had more picks in the past few years but they have not been too successful with those picks. They also have not had a 1st round pick for the past 2 years.

They have had more picks because they have been forced to sell/trade young good players like Saad and Teravainen to be cap compliant. We could get more draft picks by trading our young stars too.......would getting more draft picks and losing the likes of Horvat and Tryamkin  make you feel better?

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

They may have had more picks in the past few years but they have not been too successful with those picks. They also have not had a 1st round pick for the past 2 years.

They have had more picks because they have been forced to sell/trade young good players like Saad and Teravainen to be cap compliant. We could get more draft picks by trading our young stars too.......would getting more draft picks and losing the likes of Horvat and Tryamkin  make you feel better?

If they are trading away such big young stars for picks, how come they keep competing for (and winning) Cups?

Archived