The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blues re-sign Patrik Berglund

17 hours ago, D-Money said:

The 2 problems are, the Canucks' prospect pool is not nearly deep enough. And we are also limited in elite young players that are in the NHL. For instance, just look at the Western Canada teams:

Vancouver: Horvat, Boeser, Juolevi, Baertschi, Demko, Stetcher, Gudbranson, Granlund, Hutton, Tryamkin, Virtanen, Gaunce, Brisebois, Lockwood, Cassels...

Edmonton: McDavid, Draisatl, Poolparty, RNH, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Caggiula, Slepyshev, Benson, Reinhart, Khaira, Samuelsson, Benning, Jones, Bear, Russell...

Calgary: Gaudreau, Hamilton, Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk, Gillies, Andersson, Jankowski, Shinkaruk, Poirier, Kylington, Klimchuk, Pribyl, Mangiapane, McDonald...

Winnipeg: Laine, Scheifele, Trouba, Ehlers, Hellebuyck, Connor, Lowry, Morrissey, Roslovic, Armia, Petan, Stanley, Lemieux, Dano, Tanev, Poolman, Kostalek, Phillips, Melchiori...

Each team has SIGNIFICANTLY better elite young talent on their current roster. And (with the exception of maybe Edmonton) they have a deeper prospect pool coming up. We're farther behind than many realize.

Benning has uncovered some good finds with his picks, but he needs more of them, and higher ones. Not selling Hamhuis and/or Vrbata last year was a big loss. Hopefully he gets the job done this year.

Well it's nice of you to insert all that young talent in there but it's pretty easy for those other teams to draft elite talent when they almost never make the playoffs. We all know Edmonton's story so let's take them out..

When I look at Calgary, once that list hits to Andersson/Jankowski, there really isn't a whole lot of names/prospects that are enticing aside from Kylington. Sure, I may not know much about them but Jankowski, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk, and Poirier have done nothing to show that they were worthy of being 1st round picks. To me, these guys are busts and most likely won't have a successful/long term career in the NHL. They've done nothing to prove that they can make the club and if they don't at least crack the lineup in September of 2017 or 2018, then most likely they will never make the NHL.

At Winnipeg, their prospect pool is a lot more talented than Calgary. That is done with great scouting/drafting and the Jets are overloaded in that department. However, they obviously need to find a goalie of the future. Pavelec, Hellebuyck and Hutchinson are not going to be the ones leading them there and I just don't see them making any noise until they find a goalie prospect of the future. Out of that list aside from the obvious Laine, Scheifele, Trouba, Ehlers, and Morrissey, the rest of them are still question marks. Armia, Lowry, Petan, and Dano I believe will be consistent NHLers of the future. I haven't seen much of Connor so I can't really say much about him. But the rest still have a lot of work to make the NHL..

Looking at our pool, yes, the only "elite" talent is probably Horvat, Boeser, Demko, and Juolevi at this point but the jury is still out for Boeser, Demko, and Juolevi. We already know what we have from Baertschi and what he can bring, possibly more, as well as Granlund, Hutton, and Gaunce. Stecher, Guddy, Tryamkin, Virtanen, Brisebois, and Cassels still need time for development but out of the names listed here, I strongly believe the only player that won't find NHL success would be Cassels. What I mean is top six potential which is what he's listed as. I find him more of a bottom six guy who can shut down opposing players and pot in 30-40 points a season. A solid 3rd liner.

Yes, we are farther behind than many people realize but that came at the cost of being so successful for so many years and for our previous regime not drafting for the future. Probably also our scouting department was never able to find the intangibles and draft gems in the later rounds to help supplement our team for the future and now we're stuck in a rut. Benning's trying to play catch up so unfortunately, we won't be seeing a successful playoff run anytime soon

Archived