The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Trading Has Started, Values Being Set, Should The Canucks Start Making Moves Now?

Okay I tried starting a conversation about starting to trade earlier than last year a few days ago, evidently it was in the wrong forum and was blocked and grouped together with a deal done that day.

Now I don't want to be banned again so hopefully  this is okay this time, but it won't be about specific players just about Benning and the Canucks getting started before the TD.

Ahhh, Mr. Benning, it looks like they are starting to trade already. Can you come back from your vacation (this was 4 days ago) please.

There are many advantages to being in the front of the line, being the leader instead of the follower or not missing out because it was tried/started at the last minute.

As expected, the Canucks are a few points out of a playoff spot with 3 or 4 teams competing for the last wild card spot, several defence men have already been moved and a forward very similar to Hansen.

It appears the expansion draft is not playing as big a role as some thought it might.

Recent news of Benning approaching all the clause holders about being moved is promising, Eriksson is unmoveable because of the massive signing bonuses each year, so he is one that they truly say, "we couldn't find a buyer" so that excuse is already used up, management will not say which player this statement would be attributed to as the player would still be on the team, so they have covered themselves to get not much done now.

Compound that statement with an out break of the mumps and it looks like it could very well be an easy week for Benning etal, no other teams interested because they don't want to take a chance of getting ill.

Draft picks are being dealt out in just about every deal done so far.

So should the fans expect another epic disappointment? Or should they hope for a grand slam? How about just something done?

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hey!  Good thread topic.  I sure hope JB gets on this emerging trade train.  What if Hansen, Burrows, and Miller get injured next game?  Then we lose out on getting assets again.  That's why the smart teams get these trades done early.  

That's a good point, and I highly doubt Willie sits those guys. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Miller gets the start against SJ.

9 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

What? A coach actually play players because they haven't actually been traded? Madness, I say! Madness!

When trades are close, players are ABSOLUTELY sat out, just to be certain no injury could happen.  I doubt even one poster here would deny that has happened.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When trades are close, players are ABSOLUTELY sat out, just to be certain no injury could happen.  I doubt even one poster here would deny that has happened.  

You have to admit the players rumoured to have the mumps would all be excellent trade bait though.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

You have to admit the players rumoured to have the mumps would all be excellent trade bait though.

I think these guys actually have the mumps.  No conspiracy on this one.  :lol:  if Hansen is going to get traded though, he should bloody well not be in the lineup.  Same goes for Burrows and Miller.  

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hi Joe!

why didn't JB get er done in the 2016 TDL?  Are you saying he tried, but things out of his control got in the way - our owner?

i wasn't there but i'm prepared to take his word on how it went down unless someone was there and says otherwise.  i don't take opinions as proof.

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

i wasn't there but i'm prepared to take his word on how it went down unless someone was there and says otherwise.  i don't take opinions as proof.

I agree that JB is a stand up guy.  He did just admit to lying to the press in order to protect his players from questioning about the coming TDL though.  Maybe he's not being completely honest about what happened at the last .TDL, because he's protecting someone again?  

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yeah, when trades are close. We don't know if anyone is serious about making a trade with the Canucks though. I'm relatively certain if something was close to happening, Benning would probably pass that info onto Willie and have him sit guys accordingly. 

Moves for the right price, I'd say.  However, for the pending UFA's especially I'd say get them out the door, no more letting guys walk for nothing please.

I'm also liking how the media has been reporting that the team is now asking for top prospects, which I think is a reasonable asking price for a producing, cost-controlled asset with term still (Hansen in this case).  For teams that are desperate, I don't think a 2nd or good prospect is out of reach for Burr and Miller (asking price for each, I mean if Patrick Eaves can get a 2nd and he's at best a complementary winger to skill, I'd say Burr is a career revival year can get that much, even if it's a late 2nd).

Should be interesting times, actually more excited to see what happens before the TDL than actual games.    

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

Moves for the right price, I'd say.  However, for the pending UFA's especially I'd say get them out the door, no more letting guys walk for nothing please.

I'm also liking how the media has been reporting that the team is now asking for top prospects, which I think is a reasonable asking price for a producing, cost-controlled asset with term still (Hansen in this case).  For teams that are desperate, I don't think a 2nd or good prospect is out of reach for Burr and Miller (asking price for each, I mean if Patrick Eaves can get a 2nd and he's at best a complementary winger to skill, I'd say Burr is a career revival year can get that much, even if it's a late 2nd).

Should be interesting times, actually more excited to see what happens before the TDL than actual games.    

I'm really excited about what we get back for these older players too.  Are we just setting ourselves up for a big let down again?

Archived