The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's Failure as GM (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

I am not concerned with Benning's drafting, as his early 1st round choices have been average at worst, and those picks by and large are still on the vine......no panic there! His picks in the later rounds have been stellar and his signing of NCAA free agents has been solid, so far.

His trading has been, average, but not bad, as we have picked up some good players in Baer and Granlund, while acquiring some duds in Vey and Clendenning(sp?), the Gudbranson trade is too early to tell as he has not put in a full season and McCann hasn't exactly lit it up.....let's wait and see on that on, no point panicking.....

Where Benning really falls down IMO, is in his evaluation of his teams chances of making the playoffs at the end of December and through January........this is the time where Benning should have a good amount of time to evaluate his team and the teams around him. By waiting and hoping for miracles, he let's teams fall away from the Playoff race and out of trading contention. The TDL is only a date in the sand and should not be the deciding factor in moving players. If they are to be moved at all.

Miller to Dallas would have been a option earlier on, before Dallas continued to tail spin, Miller to LA would have been an option before Budaj showed his wares......

I am not saying that they should have been moved that early, only that Benning's comments during those days, dis-clude this as an option, as he honestly sounded as if he thought we had a chance at the playoffs........something no one else honestly thought......he needs to improve on this weakness.

We shall see how this week turns out, but this is a concern of mine......and I believe it has and will continue to cost us until he improves in this area

My main area of concern (and I'm sure this has been repeated multiple times) is ownership. If Benning and company are truly confined to the means of ownership, how much blame can you really put on the guy.

That being said, I've been a Benning fan since day one, and although at times he looks clueless in front of a camera, I still trust in his abilities to lead the Canucks going forward. 

Wait...so you're saying Bennings failing is because he keeps trying to get his team into and stating his goal is to be in the playoffs?  Therefore holding on to assets until at or near the TDL; assets with NMCs and NTCs, to facilitate that goal instead of trading them...

Ok then.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Wait...so you're saying Bennings failing is because he keeps trying to get his team into and stating his goal is to be in the playoffs?  Therefore holding on to assets until at or near the TDL; assets with NMCs and NTCs, to facilitate that goal instead of trading them...

Ok then.

Thx buddy, you are a fresh of breath air, amongst the smell of garbage ;) 

@janisahockeynut's failure as a poster...

So you want a team to decide by December if they want to acquire players or trade players away? 26/30 teams would be dumb to do that as all but a couple of the top teams and couple of the worst teams in leagues would know by then their chances of making playoffs.

LA wasn't going to trade for Miller unless Budaj failed them, they didn't even wanna pay the paltry asking price for Pavelic. Stars have shown a total disregard for trying to upgrade their crease.

We did honestly have a chance at the playoffs, you can't ask a team to just wholesale start moving players for the sake of moving players, besides, there wouldn't be a large market for them anyways as most teams wouldn't know where they might land.

You do know the man is saddled with NTC and NMC  - he can only do so much. 

I don't envy him the job - he answers to   the Aqualini family - it's his job to provide the coach with the best players possible but he is under obligation to  honour these NMC and NTC. He has made this team younger  in his short term here. He has worked around these Clauses  and in my humble opinion has made the D stronger, faster and more competitive.  I hope he is given (along with Linden) the time to put a team together of their choosing.

I think you are underestimating the benefit of the goal to make the playoffs. Its helped create a more competitive team and contributed to the development of guys like Tryamkin in particular. 

Had this team stayed healthy they would still be close to, if not in the last wildcard spot. Of course its a thin roster this year and a lot of things had to go right, but when healthy Jims assessment was spot on. 

1 minute ago, TheOgRook said:

Thx buddy, you are a fresh of breath air, amongst the smell of garbage ;) 

I am confused by this thread

In order Benning has failed by

• Not drafting well (which has turned out to be good)
  • Bad signings (Which actually aren't as players are living up to their potential)
  • Not trading (Which is not true he has traded multiple pieces every year he's been here)
  • Not getting younger (Again not true Edler Hansen, Burrows, Twins and Tanev are all that remain from 2011)
  • Not trading assets with NMCs and NTCs not considering those are issues and 29 other GMs decided not to trade for those players

Now he`s bad because he`s trying to make the playoffs.  I am so confused

I think it is a little early to really decide if Benning is a bust or not.  He's been handcuffed with numerous NTCS, NMC, and contracts signed from the previous regime.  Those are all off the books after next season.  3 years from now if the team is still middling at the bottom, is when I'll call for his head.   As is, keep drafting, developing and trying to win.

4 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

CDC is warming up to the idea this guy is a bust, because these topics are hanging around much longer then they were in the last couple years

Does this guy even read the threads??

Nobody agrees except posters like your self, unfortunately you don't carry much credibility around these parts

1 minute ago, gerry35 said:

No, people aren't warming up to him being a bust, the normal people are starting to stay away from here more because of the constant negativity of the me, me, me generation who want's results instantly.

Wait, you mean the people who wanted a tank and the rebuild the most aren't willing to actually wait 3 to 5 years for an actual rebuild to happen.

Well wonders never cease :lol:

3 minutes ago, Solinar said:

I think it is a little early to really decide if Benning is a bust or not.  He's been handcuffed with numerous NTCS, NMC, and contracts signed from the previous regime.  Those are all off the books after next season.  3 years from now if the team is still middling at the bottom, is when I'll call for his head.   As is, keep drafting, developing and trying to win.

Could we all say he was a great GM if he unloaded at least some of those contracts? Maybe. Quinn would have've found a way to trade those guys, you can bet on that. 

3 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

No people aren't warming up to him being a bust, the normal people are starting to stay away from here more because of the constant negativity of the me, me, me generation who want's results instantly.

As apposed to what?

Going into the draft with fewer picks than is ideal for a rebuild? 

Not a fan of Bennings TDL strategies  or lack of strategies...

Not a fan of Bennings Trading strategy   -     trading picks for other teams older washed up former prospects.  Looks good immediately as he gains older players but will cost us potential younger elite players down the road from losing our picks... Short term gain for a long term cost.

Drafting Strategies  -   too early to judge.   Eg. top guys -  Virtanen and McCann   Joulevi  , Boeser  Demko  - 

Basically Drafting is the most important part of the job for me.  So basically we will know more in the next few years.  Seems like some of Bennings early picks  Virt and McCann are struggling in the transition to the NHL though. That is concerning.  

Archived