The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's Failure as GM (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

I think the UFA will get stepped down a notch for us this summer Alf. The three  pick ups with any College signing's + any other pick ups. To me if aquire's another big UFA name it would signal to me WD will be the coach moving forward An status quo with team structure An style. 

The moves JB has started to make this TDL indicate a modest departure from the 2 way grinders an mulers.It would seem Now he will pursue more offensive legitimate top six scorers to augment the the youth he has started bringing in.

A player like Evander Kane would not bother me at all if he is the type that comes in as a UFA this summer.It sure will be interesting.

ifeel like the team has now stopped spinning its wheels An gain traction again.

JB took a lot of flack last year for not making any trades at the TDL,i think GM's were trying to fleece him last year because he's new at GM.by holding out last year it paid off huge this year.thank you james brown. 

1 hour ago, gino#29 said:

JB took a lot of flack last year for not making any trades at the TDL,i think GM's were trying to fleece him last year because he's new at GM.by holding out last year it paid off huge this year.thank you james brown. 

I think the big thing JB learned this year was getting the groundwork done for these deals early...IMO...I'm speculating,but last year, I think that JB waited it out until the actual deadline (expecting a bidding war for Hammer) to get the highest return....As we all know,it backfired.

3 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I think the big thing JB learned this year was getting the groundwork done for these deals early...IMO...I'm speculating,but last year, I think that JB waited it out until the actual deadline (expecting a bidding war for Hammer) to get the highest return....As we all know,it backfired.

Hard to have a bidding war though when the play had a full NTC.  

1 hour ago, gino#29 said:

Also, you did notice that the two guys everyone thought he should have gotten something for (Vrbata and Hamhuis) weren't moved at this TDL, despite it being open knowledge that Vrbata was available. So...was last year Benning's fault for not moving them for a "bag of pucks", or is it more that that bag was all that was offered? Yes, I do recall that there was a halfway decent offer for Hamhuis, and maybe that was a bit of a newbie mistake. Um...mistake corrected this year, emphatically.

42 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Couldn't agree more. I think last year they had the fantasy of we could still make the playoffs all up until trade deadline. Hamhuis' suitors found other options and a last minute deal brought to Aquilini had him requesting Benning ask for more and eventually Dallas just went with a different route. I think management has woken up and seen where we are destined to be the next couple years and have given Benning full control. Last years mishaps I'm sure had Benning putting in groundwork to these trades weeks before the deadline.

I've been a Benning supporter since day 1, felt this was a guy who knows his hockey and he kind of reminded me of Burke. Benning has been limited to where he can trade players too, with all the NTC and NMC clauses from our previous GM, so that also limits the players he really wants that's hard for a GM to just accept. I think now and moving forward, you'll really start to see moves and players he wants on this team, and he can make trades with almost all teams instead of just 2 or 3. Seeing how he's really trying to address the offensive talent for top 6 going forward, because he knows it's very weak shows how great he is imo, he sees the weakness and is working to fix it. Will say though I can't give him credit for Eriksson, that's turning out to be UGLY, hopefully Benning can pull some of his magic again next year and ship him out!

7 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

How do you get a bidding war going when only one of the three teams on Hammers list had any interest at all? There was no backfire, or waiting too long, Dallas got the guy they wanted on deadline day. Last minute Dallas made a crap offer for Hamhuis and would have told the to screw off too. I'd rather let a player walk than give him away to help another teams playoff run. Had he taken that bogus offer it would have sent the message around the league, "wait till the last minute and you can fleece me".

8 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

I think you've rewritten the story eliminating all the context and adding an assumption to your story.

Hamhuis had a broken face last year, was only healthy a short period before the deadline.  He had a pregnant spouse at the time, due not a long time after the deadline.  He never seemed terribly enthused to leave his family.  He had a list which included a couple teams that showed interest - Chicago went another direction early,, and Dallas mistaken thought Russell would help more than Hamhuis and paid a higher price to rent him.

Dallas lost, hard, in the playoffs and on that deal.

And then they let Russell walk and circled back to sign Hamhuis in the summer, pretty much an admission of the fact.

I think people can get the wrong impression that a GM can control all the variables, as if there was a failure involved because it's assumed he thought he could ride a bidding war.  At what point was there more than one team actively interested.  Benning is no idiot, he's done well in some tight situations but you simply don't win them all, like the game itself.

The first 4 points of Friedman's 30 thoughts were about the Canucks.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-trades-left-table-deadline-day/

1. One year ago, Trevor Linden was a frustrated man. The Canucks’ president of hockey operations saw his organization come under tremendous heat for trade deadline inactivity. This year? “Very different,” he said Wednesday. “Much better feeling.” He admitted the last couple of weeks were strange for him. “We are undergoing a significant transformation. I remember being in the dressing room when Alex Burrows walked in for his first regular-season game.” The best thing you can have is volume. Not all of your picks/prospects are going to work out. But the more you stockpile, the more of a chance you have. 

Adding Jonathan Dahlen and Nikolay Goldobin to your pool is never a negative. Linden was in the meeting earlier this week when the Canucks laid out their plans to Daniel Sedin and Henrik Sedin. “I didn’t expect anything different from them than what happened. We talk to them regularly throughout the year. They are such good people. I think they understand where we are and where we are going to.” The Sedins are eligible for an extension July 1, but Linden said that did not come up. “They have told us they will decide year-to-year. Everyone knows we want them here as long as they want to play.”

2. Did the Canucks — at their recent organizational meetings in Pittsburgh — ever consider trading Alexander Edler and/or Chris Tanev? “Those were great conversations,” Linden answered. “We considered all our options, looked at everything we could, put everything on the table. At the end of the day, with the youth we have on our defence, we decided we must have people who can steady the ship. We placed a high priority on that. Don’t put players into situations they are not ready for.” That’s a reason they are considering keeping Ryan Miller. They want the best possible goaltending behind them.

3. Linden added no one should expect Vancouver to be a significant player in free agency. “Loui (Eriksson) was a unique opportunity. His relationship with Daniel and Henrik…through the Olympics in 2010 he knew and liked the city. I don’t think that’s the way build this team now. We’re more in the market for ‘bridge’ support, shorter term.”

4. Finally on Vancouver, their biggest victory this year may come from internal growth — the likes of Sven Baertschi, Markus Granlund, Bo Horvat, Ben Hutton and Troy Stecher. But when asked if there was someone who has come furthest, he didn’t hesitate. “The guy who has surprised me the most is (Nikita) Tryamkin. Fitness, nutrition…he decided to totally buy in. I didn’t think I would see it this quickly. You have to credit our strength and conditioning staff, our veterans…He made an impressive commitment.”

Uhh, lack of Canadian content on the Canucks.

5 to 1 Canadians in the NHL compared to the closest country on the list the US.

A Canadian team with only 5 forwards from Canada. 

Seriously how hard are these guys going to try, what extra gear are these guys going to draw on for a Canadian city when it comes time to crunch and push for it? While I realize that what is going on in Vancouver is a strange kind of delusional rebuild, but not a rebuild and we have no chance at getting there with these players. I ask....

Are the Canucks nothing more than a Euro Paycheck status symbol now?

If I wanted to watch whatever the Canucks are becoming. I would tune into a european sports station and watch hockey there.

Rant out.

2 hours ago, Outhouse said:

Uhh, lack of Canadian content on the Canucks.

5 to 1 Canadians in the NHL compared to the closest country on the list the US.

A Canadian team with only 5 forwards from Canada. 

Seriously how hard are these guys going to try, what extra gear are these guys going to draw on for a Canadian city when it comes time to crunch and push for it? While I realize that what is going on in Vancouver is a strange kind of delusional rebuild, but not a rebuild and we have no chance at getting there with these players. I ask....

Are the Canucks nothing more than a Euro Paycheck status symbol now?

If I wanted to watch whatever the Canucks are becoming. I would tune into a european sports station and watch hockey there.

Rant out.

Maybe look at the whole team instead just the forwards. The best player on the team right now is Canadian. Most our our Defensive core (Gudbranson, Tanev, Stetcher, Hutton, Biega) are Canadian. We have a fairly sizeable US contingent, as we do Euros. (Skille, Megna, Sutter, Boucher, not to mention prospects such as Demko, Boeser, Gaudette, and Lockwood). Stop being a Don Cherry. The best player for the Leafs is an American, for Winnipeg its a Finn. Benning just revamped the defensive core, now he's working on the forwards. Go watch the CHL or BCHL if you want to see more Canadian content. 

On 25/02/2017 at 9:33 AM, janisahockeynut said:

and I believe it has and will continue to cost us until he improves in this area

How's this for future forecast:

The Adam Gaudette show continued, while Guillaume Brisebois had just as good of a month in the QMHL.

…The Utica Comets went 5-6-1 during February thanks to a 3-0-1 record to close out the month. The Comets are currently sitting at 23-23-9 on the season, three points back of St. John's for the final playoff spot in the North Division with one game in-hand.

Alex Grenier continues to lead the team in scoring with 38 points (15-23-38) in 51 games on the season.

Jordan Subban sits fourth on the team with 29 points (13-16-29) in 46 games. Subban's 13 goals are second among all AHL defencemen.

…February was a good month for defenceman Evan McEneny , who picked up eight points (1-7-8) in 10 games. McEneny has 15 points (5-10-15) in his past 17 games overall.

Joseph Labate returned from injury on February 15 and recorded one assist in six games. Labate also picked up his fifth AHL fighting major of the season.

…All four of the above mentioned players were recently recalled by the Canucks. McEneny made his NHL debut against the Sharks on the February 26.

…February was an up-and-down month for rookie goaltender Thatcher Demko. The 21-year-old twice allowed five goals in a game, but closed out February stopping 27-of-28 and then 30-of-32 in back-to-back games.

…Prior to becoming property of the Canucks, Nikolay Goldobin posted 11 points (5-6-11) in nine games with the San Jose Barracuda. Goldobin will immediately join the Canucks. He is currently three points shy of matching his AHL point total from last season, despite playing 14 less games this time around.

…Across the pond, newly acquired Jonathan Dahlen was named the recipient of the Guldgallret (Golden Cage), which is awarded to the best junior player in Sweden's Allsvenskan league. Dahlen is first among all U20 players and sixth overall in league scoring.

…With 25 goals and 44 points in 45 games with Timra IK this season, Dahlen is the highest scoring junior-aged player ever in the Allsvenskan.

…Moving onto the NCAA, the Adam Gaudette show continued last month as the 20-year-old posted points in seven-of-eight games, netting a total of 12 points (10-2-12) in that span.

…Gaudette's season has been nothing short of spectacular. He has points in 26-of-33 games. He leads all sophomore's in the NCAA with 51 points (25-26-51) in 33 games, which also places him tied for sixth among all NCAA skaters. His 25 goals sit third in the entire NCAA, with the only two players ahead of him being seniors.

…Here comes Brock? With six points (2-4-6) in his last five games, Brock Boeser has put together his best stretch since early January when he first returned from wrist surgery.

…In the WHL, Jakob Stukel posted eight points (5-3-8) in 13 games with the Calgary Hitmen last month. He is now up to 46 points (21-25-46) in 61 games. The Hitmen are currently clinging to the final wild card spot in the Eastern Conference, just two points up on Saskatoon.

Tate Olson and the Prince George Cougars have clinched a playoff spot in the Western Conference. The Cougars currently sit first in the B.C. Division with a 40-20-5 record, three points up on Kamloops. The 19-year-old defenceman has netted 24 points (7-17-24) in 60 games this season.

…Working our way east, Olli Juolevi picked up six points in 12 games for the London Knights last month, moving his season total to 39 points (8-31-39) in 49 games. The Knights are currently second overall in the OHL with a 40-12-7 record.

Brett McKenzie and the North Bay Battalion are in a battle for the final playoff spot in the OHL's Eastern Conference. McKenzie, who tallied five goals in February, has 61 points (27-34-61) through 58 games this season.

…Over in the QMJHL, Carl Neill had a nine-points (2-7-9) in 11-game month, giving him 61 points (13-48-61) in 58 games this season. Those 61 points rank him second among all QMJHL defencemen.

…Neill's teammate on Charlottetown, Guillaume Brisebois had a remarkable month of February. In 11 games, he registered 16 points (2-14-16) and was a plus-16. He's now up to 40 points (7-33-40) in 52 games this season. Brisebois is now in a tie for eighth in scoring among QMJHL blue-liners.

…Charlottetown currently has the second-best record in the QMJHL.

Rodrigo Abols had 11 points (3-8-11) in 12 games with Acadie-Bathurst during the month of February, bringing his season total to 44 points (15-29-44) in 44 games.

Dmitry Zhukenov had his fifth straight double-digit points month with 11 (3-8-11) in 11 games with Chicoutimi, giving him 57 points (15-42-57) in 64 games.

What's on in March?

…For those with Shaw TV, Jacob Stukel and the Calgary Hitmen will be featured on March 8 against Saskatoon, while Tate Olson and Prince George Cougars will be on March 17 against the Kamloops Blazers.

Olli Juolevi and the London Knights will be featured nationwide on Sportsnet 360 twice coming up. First up, March 4 against Windsor, and then again on March 9 against Guelph.

On Thursday, March 02, 2017 at 4:19 PM, gino#29 said:

Or.  Ownership nixed the deal he had worked out with Dallas. It was reported that Dallas thought they had a trade in place but Benning got instructions from aqualini to up the price. Dallas then went to Calgary and Russell. 

Either he planned to hold or ownership interferred.  But it can't be both

I'm glad to see Benning learning on the job and am willing to consider the role ownership had in hamstringing him.  But I don't prescribe to last year playing a part to getting us Dahlen. Different market.  Different circumstances. 

11 hours ago, DSVII said:

Or.  Ownership nixed the deal he had worked out with Dallas. It was reported that Dallas thought they had a trade in place but Benning got instructions from aqualini to up the price. Dallas then went to Calgary and Russell. 

Either he planned to hold or ownership interferred.  But it can't be both

the last time ownership did this it cost the canucks gretzky.pat quinn had a deal in place for gretzky and john macaw the cell phone idiot demanded quinn get him signed that night,this annoyed gretzky and he went elsewhere.the aqualini's could learn a lot from the griffith's.that family was pure class and would hire people they could trust and wouldn't interfere with the hockey operations,they'd hire people like pat quinn.that was the golden age for the canucks,the rest has been downhill and it reflects on the owners and the rest of the greedy NHL.don't forget about the feud with dallas's owner,that directly affected that trade with hammer.   

Archived