The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's Failure as GM (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

For how many years have CDC not been complaining about having a potential no.1 D-man in the system.

Since Luc Bourdon there has been none...

Yet Benning takes a chance and draft one, and here are the wet face brigade crying their eyes out over his choice... Wake up.

Its a rebuild, well surprise surprise it takes time. D-men takes longer to develop that forward, so if you want them to mature around the same time, you have to start at the back.

Further more, there is a huge chance that in 5 years from now Oli could bring in a far better forward than Tkachuk...

This constant crying over Benning not being able to pick well in first round is nothing short of absurd..

26 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yet Benning takes a chance and draft one, and here are the wet face brigade crying their eyes out over his choice... Wake up.

Its a rebuild, well surprise surprise it takes time. D-men takes longer to develop that forward, so if you want them to mature around the same time, you have to start at the back.

It is NOT a rebuild until the team starts making trades, right now they are doing NOTHING. Yes I call trading away a half dozen draft picks to get two 3rd line players nothing. Especially when the possible star dman may have already been traded away. No matter what you think Forsling cracked the Chicago line up, you know those guys that have recently won 3 Stanley cups. Besides Tryamkin is here now, give him another full year, he is already a top 4 guy.

39 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

his drafts have been mostly good. Plenty of surprises too, like hutton, Stetch, Tryam.

probably can use a new medical staff. 

Yeah, new meds or just staying away from Medicine Hat during an outbreak may have helped a little as well, who went there over the last 2 weeks or so? Err, Hutton is a Gillis guy. Stecher approached Canucks last year.

I am wondering just how "old school" Benning is, "never trade within division/conference" hence sitting on Hamhuis and Vrbata last year.

46 minutes ago, spook007 said:

This constant crying over Benning not being able to pick well in first round is nothing short of absurd..

I Don't have a problem with a single Benning pick. I see the logic in every single one of them. However, to blatantly deny the fact that JB whiffed on Virtanen and missed out on Tkachuk is just as annoying as critiquing a draft a year later. Juolevi will be a good defender without a doubt but for him to catch up to Tkachuk is almost impossible. He is probably 2 years away with our depth and doesn't have the shot to be a true 1A. 

Tkachuk has just as many points as the beloved Bo Horvat. Let that really sink in. Tkachuk = Bo Horvat's point production in his ROOKIE season. Now take off your rose coloured sun glasses and take a deep breath of reality, let it sober you. Tkachuk's size and skill are going to be generational for his style of player. That's a huge miss. 

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

I didn't really see that as a problem. Before that the Moose was our farm team for years. We didn't own them either and developed quite a few NHL players there. Although I do like the idea of owning our own farm team.

I remember hearing of Chicago playing their vets, and not giving the kids that the Canucks were trying to develop any playing time. We had a full working agreement with the Moose, and I'm sure we shared the Wolves or they were an owner operated team.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So........close thread?

I love this trade but it doesn't erase the last 3 seasons of crap.  It's just a step in the right direction.

Vancouver has been trading picks and prospects in order to make the playoffs, but have turned into a bottom feeder instead.  This comes at the cost of a "proper" rebuild.  I'm not a critic of Benning's abilities in drafting or trading, but the direction/vision of the team has been a complete joke.  Everyone saw it coming, and either Benning or ownership didn't.  So please don't act like this is all part of some grand plan. 

Finally they're selling, so I'm open to seeing how Benning will do at actually rebuilding by trading for prospects & picks.  If this is the only move, then not much has changed.  If more picks/prospects are coming then for me, there'll be a reason to have optimism in a long time. 

16 hours ago, Nice Finnish said:

Dahlen should destroy thread

Jonathan Dahlen is not signed, they traded for his rights, if he doesn't sign he goes back into the draft.

Not likely to but this could end up being a bust if he doesn't sign. He has fourteen months to get a signature so it will likely get done but wwwill that then assure the kid of a top six spot?

On 2017-02-25 at 9:33 AM, janisahockeynut said:

I am not concerned with Benning's drafting, as his early 1st round choices have been average at worst, and those picks by and large are still on the vine......no panic there! His picks in the later rounds have been stellar and his signing of NCAA free agents has been solid, so far.

His trading has been, average, but not bad, as we have picked up some good players in Baer and Granlund, while acquiring some duds in Vey and Clendenning(sp?), the Gudbranson trade is too early to tell as he has not put in a full season and McCann hasn't exactly lit it up.....let's wait and see on that on, no point panicking.....

Where Benning really falls down IMO, is in his evaluation of his teams chances of making the playoffs at the end of December and through January........this is the time where Benning should have a good amount of time to evaluate his team and the teams around him. By waiting and hoping for miracles, he let's teams fall away from the Playoff race and out of trading contention. The TDL is only a date in the sand and should not be the deciding factor in moving players. If they are to be moved at all.

Miller to Dallas would have been a option earlier on, before Dallas continued to tail spin, Miller to LA would have been an option before Budaj showed his wares......

I am not saying that they should have been moved that early, only that Benning's comments during those days, dis-clude this as an option, as he honestly sounded as if he thought we had a chance at the playoffs........something no one else honestly thought......he needs to improve on this weakness.

We shall see how this week turns out, but this is a concern of mine......and I believe it has and will continue to cost us until he improves in this area

Benning is mediocre at best. Linden also mediocre as president. The owner also seems content with his team so what can ya do. I feel sorry for Horvat a more than decent player stuck in Canuck la la land.

7 hours ago, johngould21 said:

I remember hearing of Chicago playing their vets, and not giving the kids that the Canucks were trying to develop any playing time. We had a full working agreement with the Moose, and I'm sure we shared the Wolves or they were an owner operated team.

The coaching staff of a farm team is hired by the NHL team. There's a big financial benefit for an AHL team being an NHL farm team. Players signed by the NHL affiliate and the coaching staff are paid by that NHL parent team. It's our coaches on the farm team but the GM is hired by the owner. So there is at times a conflict in direction. But our prospects are still under a coach hired by us. Meaning what a prospect needs to work on is still under our control to some degree.

Great job GMJB!!  Maybe you knew what you were doing last trade deadline. Glad you didn't give away assets for nothing, like half of CDC wanted you to do. 

If if something materializes for Hansen, that would be great....if not, he will be great for us next year. 

Send a little help to Utica. Please!  

3 minutes ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

Great job GMJB!!  Maybe you knew what you were doing last trade deadline. Glad you didn't give away assets for nothing, like half of CDC wanted you to do. 

If if something materializes for Hansen, that would be great....if not, he will be great for us next year. 

Send a little help to Utica. Please!  

Wouldn't trading Hansen for prospects/picks send help to Utica?  

Archived