The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's Failure as GM (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

2 minutes ago, Comet Fan 0727 said:

Yeah. What's your point?  

You're asking for help in Utica.  Trading for pick/prospects generates depth, which certainly filters down to the Comets, right?  Like this new guy we got for Burr.  Likely he's in Utica next season.  Trading Hansen will probably add bodies to the Comets too.

6 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Jonathan Dahlen is not signed, they traded for his rights, if he doesn't sign he goes back into the draft.

Not likely to but this could end up being a bust if he doesn't sign. He has four months to get a signature so it will likely get done but wwwill that then assure the kid of a top six spot?

No you're wrong about that.  Dahlen was drafted last summer, in the 2016 entry draft.  The is no four month deadline, you're just serving up the usual drama. 

10 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It is NOT a rebuild until the team starts making trades, right now they are doing NOTHING. Yes I call trading away a half dozen draft picks to get two 3rd line players nothing. Especially when the possible star dman may have already been traded away. No matter what you think Forsling cracked the Chicago line up, you know those guys that have recently won 3 Stanley cups. Besides Tryamkin is here now, give him another full year, he is already a top 4 guy.

Hilarious that you shot your mouth off just before Benning robbed Ottawa.

Keep up the good work champ!

8 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

I love this trade but it doesn't erase the last 3 seasons of crap.  It's just a step in the right direction.

Vancouver has been trading picks and prospects in order to make the playoffs, but have turned into a bottom feeder instead.  This comes at the cost of a "proper" rebuild.  I'm not a critic of Benning's abilities in drafting or trading, but the direction/vision of the team has been a complete joke.  Everyone saw it coming, and either Benning or ownership didn't.  So please don't act like this is all part of some grand plan. 

Finally they're selling, so I'm open to seeing how Benning will do at actually rebuilding by trading for prospects & picks.  If this is the only move, then not much has changed.  If more picks/prospects are coming then for me, there'll be a reason to have optimism in a long time. 

Soooo. you're calling the Baertschi, Gudbranson, and Granlund trades crap.

The team's direction is obvious, your remarks are a joke.

The massive turnover in this roster since Benning took over completely escapes you?

Hundreds of grueling negative posts.

Cheer up. There's a brighter future.

Feel free to disagree. After all you're the expert.

Please enlighten us. Your qualifications are?

13 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It is NOT a rebuild until the team starts making trades, right now they are doing NOTHING. Yes I call trading away a half dozen draft picks to get two 3rd line players nothing. Especially when the possible star dman may have already been traded away. No matter what you think Forsling cracked the Chicago line up, you know those guys that have recently won 3 Stanley cups. Besides Tryamkin is here now, give him another full year, he is already a top 4 guy.

K... half an hour later JB trade Burrows for Dahlen. 

This is going around circles... 

13 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I Don't have a problem with a single Benning pick. I see the logic in every single one of them. However, to blatantly deny the fact that JB whiffed on Virtanen and missed out on Tkachuk is just as annoying as critiquing a draft a year later. Juolevi will be a good defender without a doubt but for him to catch up to Tkachuk is almost impossible. He is probably 2 years away with our depth and doesn't have the shot to be a true 1A. 

Tkachuk has just as many points as the beloved Bo Horvat. Let that really sink in. Tkachuk = Bo Horvat's point production in his ROOKIE season. Now take off your rose coloured sun glasses and take a deep breath of reality, let it sober you. Tkachuk's size and skill are going to be generational for his style of player. That's a huge miss. 

And yet you think every one is wrong?

I wanted Ehlers, but could understand why they chose Virtanen. Tough luck, unfortunately picks don't always go the way they hope for... Who did you want?

Juolevi I could understand even more... We haven't taken a chance on a star D since Bourdon, and I think its/was the right time to do so if you want the team to mature together. I don't want Oilers, where we chose forwards all the time, and are average at best at the back. And forget about McD... They got lucky in the draw. Without him they were still going nowhere...

Finally the original reason for my post is there is 4 or 5 threads that is just going in circles. The same people post the same argument, pro as well as cons, on and on and on....

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

No you're wrong about that.  Dahlen was drafted last summer, in the 2016 entry draft.  The is no four month deadline, you're just serving up the usual drama. 

T.G reminds me of my bat $&!# crazy mother in law that feeds on crisis and anxiety.  She will literally make up some sort of dire scenario just to have drama in her life. 

2 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

T.G reminds me of my bat $&!# crazy mother in law that feeds on crisis and anxiety.  She will literally make up some sort of dire scenario just to have drama in her life. 

OMG.... is your mother in law a canuck fan and does she have a computer? :bigblush:

12 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

JB has just ascended into God status by getting this kid for Burrows, the rental. 

Burrows signed an extension before the deal was finalized. I suspect that's why we knew a deal was in place with Ottawa well before finding out the return. We found out the return after it was announced Burr had signed a two year extension with Ottawa.

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

Burrows signed an extension before the deal was finalized. I suspect that's why we knew a deal was in place with Ottawa well before finding out the return. We found out the return after it was announced Burr had signed a two year extension with Ottawa.

If Burr was only a rental (no extension) I wonder if the return would have been less?

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Burr was only a rental (no extension) I wonder if the return would have been less?

Probably honestly wouldve been worth around a 3rd. Ottawa's not winning a cup this year they probably wanted some leadership to help the young guys

Archived