The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Hansen to St Louis

Brobidus

Hansen to St Louis for Nail Yakupov and Tage Thompson

St Louis Blues: My opinion is they need a bit more speed and grit on the wing. They've currently got Perron and Paajarvi there. Paajarvi is stepping in for Yakupov I think and Perron is having a neat season, probably a better one than Hansen. Yakupov hasn't worked out for them and he's an upcoming RFA and makes 2.5 million. So it'd be a classic move for depth for the playoffs for this and next year at a great cap. They have 3 solid centers so they can accommodate Hansen easily.

Vancouver Canucks: Not the most flashy return but I think it's quite solid. We get back a first rounder from last year in Tage Thompson (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=301349). Large forward prospect and he seems to be having himself a solid season. I figured a first rounder this year would give us a player somewhat on par with Thompson. This way he is a bit farther along in his development and might join Utica soon. We also take the same amount of cap back with Yakupov (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=21228) and give him a new environment. With the mumps outbreak we could definitely use a player coming back in the Hansen deal. We give him a chance. If he shows he can still stay then we give him another shot for next year (could also allow Boeser to marinate a bit in Utica and maybe wait for Gaudette). We can afford to give him a bigger opportunity for the end of this year. If he's out of shape we put him on the Tryamkin program and this way he could possibly work with Horvats skating coach too. He is young enough that there might be so hope left if we treat him as a project. 

This might not be too much of a popular trade proposal. It's not very flashy but that seems to be the norm for deadline deals yet Tage Thompson is till one of St Louis' better prospects and is definitely worth a late first or early second especially in this draft. You rarely see anything of great value coming back (no matter how much we would want it). I also realize that Hansen probably hasn't waived for St Louis. But we don't know that for sure. I'm just trying to think outside the box a bit. Looking forward to any criticism :) 

A well thought out reasonable proposal. My only issue is that I doubt St. Louis is going to be selling their prospect (Thompson) in an effort to make a cup run this year. It looks like they will be selling Shattenkirk as a rental and I doubt their management thinks they are a serious contender this year. I guess it could happen if they make some other good trades for the present opposed to the future.

Sign me up if St. Louis is down for it!  Never heard of Tage Thompson but he looks solid, like a Nick Bjugstad.  

Buying low on Yak on top of that doesn't sound too bad either, doubt Vegas would pick him up seeing as he's still a project.  If he blossoms here we get an asset, if not but Thompson develops we'd probably still win.  Either way I'm down.

3 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

I've been wanting Yakupov for a while now. Right now though I'd be against it. He would just be swiped up by Vegas in the ED.. next year though maybe we can offer a 2nd + 5th or something similar

He is an RFA, I believe that makes him exempt from the expansion draft? I think :) Can anyone clarify?

Also: In this case Hansen would not only be a rental for this year but for next as well. If they decide they want to shed cap and restructure their blueline by trading Shattenkirk then they can still do that and grab Hansen for next year. This gives him time to adjust to the team and play himself up the lineup. 

1 minute ago, Brobidus said:

He is an RFA, I believe that makes him exempt from the expansion draft? I think :) Can anyone clarify?

He is still eligible to be selected. Vegas has 48 hours to try to make deals with UFA's/RFA's before the expansion draft. If they strike a deal with a player then that player will count as the 1 player that team would lose in the draft.

Good proposal. I doubt St. Louis will give up Greenway though. But if they want to be a contender yet again, they have to give to get a guy like Hansen. Also he's locked up another year. Yaks is great but he's in a part of his career where he needs to start becoming the player he was destined to become when he was drafted. Don't know if I'd take the risk but he would be an upgrade over say a Megna in our lineup. 

1 hour ago, Hortankin said:

I've been wanting Yakupov for a while now. Right now though I'd be against it. He would just be swiped up by Vegas in the ED.. next year though maybe we can offer a 2nd + 5th or something similar

Vegas would be fool hearty to grab him from us unless JB worked some serious magic and all they were left to pick from was Yak Dorsett Biega Bachman even then I probably go with Dorsett if I'm Vegas. 

I can't see St. Louis doing this.  The Blues are barely a playoff team, so the addition of Jannik Hansen won't make them a contender.  They need a lot more than Hansen's six goals to compete with the big boys.

So why would St. Louis move Yakupov, and their first round pick from last year only to still get bounced in the first round anyways.

Hansen's real value is to teams that are already contenders.  Where he can play responsible hockey and not worry about, or be expected to provide the offense.

18 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Good proposal. I doubt St. Louis will give up Greenway though. But if they want to be a contender yet again, they have to give to get a guy like Hansen. Also he's locked up another year. Yaks is great but he's in a part of his career where he needs to start becoming the player he was destined to become when he was drafted. Don't know if I'd take the risk but he would be an upgrade over say a Megna in our lineup. 

He's a wild prospect isn't he

Archived