The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U/Switch)

DollarAndADream

BOTW-Share_icon.jpg

So, according to all of the impressions, this game is going to be a sure hit. Hell, some reviewers are even saying that it makes Horizon: Zero Dawn feel simplistic, and that's a game that has been getting amazing reviews already.

Preview thread from Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/5vxlxk/the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_preview/

I pre ordered the game from bestbuy.ca but I haven't pre ordered a switch yet, Walmart.ca will have switch available on march 3 online and also in store, Walmart Canada did not do pre orders...

Best Buy, Walmart, The Source, London Drugs...all will sell switch, and I think Shoppers Drug Mart does too...so if you are looking for one try any one of those places, EB too I guess...though EB probably wont have many on hand other than pre ordered ones

Just now, Nbanhl said:

I pre ordered the game from bestbuy.ca but I haven't pre ordered a switch yet, Walmart.ca will have switch available on march 3 online and also in store, Walmart Canada did not do pre orders...

Best Buy, Walmart, The Source, London Drugs...all will sell switch, and I think Shoppers Drug Mart does too...so if you are looking for one try any one of those places, EB too I guess...though EB probably wont have many on hand other than pre ordered ones

2 hours ago, Nbanhl said:

Lol, down here in Trump land, everything is already sold out through pre-orders. Good thing I stayed up late after the announcement and grabbed both a switch and BotW. The only bad thing is that I have a midterm on Monday so no playing it right away after it comes out. :(

I'm just grabbing it on the Wii U. I know there's reports that it runs a little worse on the Wii U, but apparently it's not much worse. Both consoles have their framerate issues, and the Switch has 900p over Wii U's 720p. It might not be 900p I forget....but it's 900something. I don't feel like checking.

Whatever happens though, everyone who has already played the game, Wii U or Switch, report that the game is insanely fun and even with the slight drops in frames in the action areas, it's not the most noticeable thing in the world. Besides, I've played through whole games with horrible framerate drops, and I don't really care about them.

I'll be playing Horizon: Zero Dawn until Friday....

If I feel the need to try this game I will play it on my sister's Wii U. No point getting a Switch yet until all the bugs are fixed and full functionality is released.

That being said the game does look fun and isn't that the most important point of gaming?

Got my Switch today, and Zelda is amazing so far. The graphics are fantastic and I love the open world environment. Can't really speak to the level of difficulty yet as it is early, but its a lot of fun just discovering things on your own and finding materials and whatnot. The cooking system is interesting and should appeal to anybody that likes collecting items and experimenting to see what you can make.

This &^@#ing blows, man. I haven't seen any reports of freezing for anyone...

But I got my Wii U copy and it's frozen twice in 30 min. I'm glad it autosaves. I might trade it in for another copy.

Edit: So, it froze 3 times in like 40 minutes. Had to restart the console and boot it up again every time. Went to EB Games to try and get another disc but they're all sold out in the places I checked. So I have to wait and see if somebody doesn't pick up their pre order and take that one.

I went home and tried it over the Gamepad, and it froze within 30 seconds.

Then, I read online someone else was having a disc reading issue, but not a freezing issue. That guy put an air compressor to the disc slot and it seemed to have fixed the problem. So, I didn't have an air compressor, ......so I just blew really hard into the slot as if it was a NES cartridge. It's been working for over 2 hours now with no freezing. I'm just sure I resolved the issue or what, but I'm hoping so.

15 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

This &^@#ing blows, man. I haven't seen any reports of freezing for anyone...

But I got my Wii U copy and it's frozen twice in 30 min. I'm glad it autosaves. I might trade it in for another copy.

Edit: So, it froze 3 times in like 40 minutes. Had to restart the console and boot it up again every time. Went to EB Games to try and get another disc but they're all sold out in the places I checked. So I have to wait and see if somebody doesn't pick up their pre order and take that one.

I went home and tried it over the Gamepad, and it froze within 30 seconds.

Then, I read online someone else was having a disc reading issue, but not a freezing issue. That guy put an air compressor to the disc slot and it seemed to have fixed the problem. So, I didn't have an air compressor, ......so I just blew really hard into the slot as if it was a NES cartridge. It's been working for over 2 hours now with no freezing. I'm just sure I resolved the issue or what, but I'm hoping so.

Well if that doesn't bring on the nostalgia I don't know what will

Here's my story:

Bought Zelda on Wii U day one. Played for a couple of hours....crash.

Played for over an hour at a time, while crashing all the time and needing to reset the console each time.

Thought it might be the disc, but nowhere has any copies so I can't test the theory.

Decided to get eager to know if it was in fact the disc, so I bought digital.

Play time has been getting less and less before crashing. Try out digital, and crashing has come to within 30 minutes.

Clearly it's a console issue. So I went to the store to get some compressed air to dust out the console. Had no effect at all. Still crashes.

Decided to do a console hard reset. Reformatted the thing, losing all my other saves..doesn't matter much to me because I never play them anymore anyways. Besides the other day when I tested to see if other games worked, and they do.

Also, EB called me because one of their pre-orders didn't pick up, so they let me trade my copy for that one, because they said my disc is probably faulty.

So, I reformatted, put in a new disc, updated again, etc etc.

This time it crashed in 4 minutes before I even got to talk to the Old Man at the very beginning.

&^@# me. I really enjoyed this game. Sunk around 5-6 hours into it.

I'm probably just going to go full throttle and buy a Switch at my next opportunity. That will end up costing me, but in the long run I wanted a Switch anyways for Mario and whatever else comes out. But still, that means eventually I'll have the hard copy Wii U Zelda, digital copy Zelda, and Switch Zelda in the end. Fantastic.

I guess I"ll call Nintendo and see what they have to say. Hopefully I can do a refund on the digital because I don't need it anyways. Maybe I can repair my console somehow? I don't know. This blows.

jesus. i was such a skeptic at first. had my doubts after the trailers and console presentation. i even had my doubts after playing the game for an hour or so, just thinking it would turn out to be meh. but nope. this thing is like a work of art. it's a truly fantastic game

4 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

jesus. i was such a skeptic at first. had my doubts after the trailers and console presentation. i even had my doubts after playing the game for an hour or so, just thinking it would turn out to be meh. but nope. this thing is like a work of art. it's a truly fantastic game

I know right?

I went into the game with an open mind, knowing with all the hype it would be great but probably not a deal breaker. Oh how wrong I was. Already one of the best games I have ever played. So worth the 4:30 am line sitting to get a Switch.

On 2017-03-07 at 4:55 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

I must of gotten a good console since I have yet to crash once.

It's not a totally common issue. I, and like, 4 or 5 other people on the internet I've seen have this crashing issue. It &^@#ing blows.

It really, really sucks having the game and not being able to really play it. Especially having played it for a bunch of hours....

Since I've decided to get a Switch now, I can't even do that either....since no stock anywhere.

Archived