The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Sharks @ Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

Yeah, he's pretty good, eh..

The rest seemed good getting pucks through as well - Dillon, Braun, Pickle, etc...

Pretty good? More like The BEST in the NHL...

The rest are OK. Ours are going to be too. Stecher, Hutton , Tryamkin, Juolevi, etc. 

13 hours ago, philtbc829 said:

Well hopefully this puts all stupid playoff dreams out of everyones heads once and for all.....JB time to wheel and deal...but lets face it you are not going to get much for what they have to offer!!! a 3rd rounder for Burrows...possibly a 2nd rounder for Hansen....another 3rd Rounder for Miller...a Bag of pucks for Edler.....and I wish he would get rid of Sbisa!!! 

but more than likely he will FAIL again.....

Maybe if they threw in a years supply of sticks  it could sweeten the deal with Edler

7 hours ago, alfstonker said:

If you had watched the game you would have known Sbisa was ill with the flu and had to leave the bench. Apart from that he has been one of our best Ds. 

Edler had a nightmare in the 3rd but what do you expect playing over 27 mins?

Well you're right there, Alf-S, yesterday was hiking in some mtns, so my comments are happily ill-informed :^)

I'd like one of the two dealt, so we're ready for ED-time. If Tans landed a beaut-windfall, would go for that too.

42 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I think we bring Green up as an assistant first. Can't make the same mistake we did with Willie again

he's better then Willie I hope. he turned down an assistant gig few years ago. wants to be the big cheddar.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Unfortunately, this is only magnified when your top line isn't able to play like a top line and the PP sucks.

More fingers should be pointing at the top line.

Sure doesn't get much mention.

For 14,000,000(20 % of team's cap) twins are combined -30. That AIN'T Bobby Orr numbers, to be sure. & yeah, the PP's criminally hideous.

It's killing this team

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

This is the year we win the draft lotto, because it's a weak draft at the top. :(

Maybe we should trade down, and get a couple later firsts, if possible?

Even in an off year, Mackinnon, without great reviews, is still the runaway performance leader of his draft class.

Its still a different level in the top 2 than through the middle.  I would be agreeing (I would) if we are picking 3rd onward... 

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Willie does a lot of things.  Some well, and other's like deployment, cause us to scratch our heads.  I see a team that has some adversity that puts out a good effort every night.  The San Jose Sharks are on Pierre McGuire's list of 6 teams with a legitimate shot at the cup this year (San Jose, Minny, Chicago, Washington, NYR, Pittsburgh, fwiw).  They have lots of depth and as the game wore on, their depth showed and the tide turned in their favour.  

What I want to talk about here is team depth.  Now last off season, Benning tried very hard to improve depth on the back end.  I think that he was largely successful here.

It's clear to me that depth is lacking in the forwards this year.  There are a lot of fringe NHLers playing regularly.  They are the best we have in the system right now but this has to be changed.  They need real NHL players on the NHL roster.  Loui Eriksson isn't living up to his $6M salary but this isn't really the problem.  It's the bottom 6 and depth.  Who can move up when there are injuries?  I'm sorry but Jayson Megna is not the answer.

2015-16                                             2016-17

Sedin Sedin Hansen                          Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata                     Baertschi Horvat Burrows

Etem McCann Virtanen                     Granlund Sutter Eriksson

Vey Cracknell Dorsett                        Gaunce Chaput Skille

Higgins Sutter* Prust                         Megna Dorsett*

Burrows                                             Rodin*                                                 * mostly injured

Essentially, they have replaced Etem, Vey, Higgins, Prust and Cracknell with Gaunce, Chaput, Skille, and Megna.  There are fewer of these players and I would suggest that the quality is a little bit lower.  McCann and Virtanen should not have been on last years roster.  The theory is that prospects will eventually supplant the lower end guys but who is on their way?  

Gaunce?  trying, still boarder line

Virtanen?  cautiously optimistic, not producing at the AHL level but coming along.....a maybe

Labate  physical last night, a missing component perhaps.  Maybe Willie should give him some time before the end of the season?  Willie dresses the best possible line up every night (according to his criteria) so does this leave Labate out?

Grenier 

Boeser?  hopeful but don't count on it

There's not a lot we can count on coming up so I would expect that we will see a make over of the bottom 6 in the offseason just like the same happened last year on defense.  

Do we see Hansen moved?  How would Benning replace him?  Free agency?

How about Burrows?  Do they move him for a pick and re-sign on July 1?

Benning had been looking for some top 6 help at left wing before the season started.  Let's just say some salary comes off the books this summer (Miller $6.0M, Burrows $4.5M), this could help Benning's case.  There are a lot of questions and few obvious answers.

It's not just depth?  

We have a serious shortage of size up front in the top 6. Hansen the biggest at 195 lbs. Without any player offering any world class agility and speed while handling the puck.   

But yeah, with Virtanen & Etem abdicating, McCann being traded to serve the same purpose for our defence (add size, depth and physical match up capacity), it did have a roll over effect.  But we knew this going into the season.  And its also why we should not be completely upset about Ericsson. How much worse would we have been?  

No doubt we'll add a second UFA this summer up front. Try and bring back Burrows. And as prospects arrive, the sum will start to resolve shortages of size, speed & talent.

31 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Even in an off year, Mackinnon, without great reviews, is still the runaway performance leader of his draft class.

Its still a different level in the top 2 than through the middle.  I would be agreeing (I would) if we are picking 3rd onward... 

It's not just depth?  

We have a serious shortage of size up front in the top 6. Hansen the biggest at 195 lbs. Without any player offering any world class agility and speed while handling the puck.   

But yeah, with Virtanen & Etem abdicating, McCann being traded to serve the same purpose for our defence (add size, depth and physical match up capacity), it did have a roll over effect.  But we knew this going into the season.  And its also why we should not be completely upset about Ericsson. How much worse would we have been?  

No doubt we'll add a second UFA this summer up front. Try and bring back Burrows. And as prospects arrive, the sum will start to resolve shortages of size, speed & talent.

Ya, it's fine to have smaller forwards and the trend away from size is one thing but I agree, if you don't have any size and sandpaper it can become an issue too.  That's why LaBate was a breath of fresh air in last nights game.  He's 6'5" but listed at only 190!!

This is what I'm driving at.  Just as Benning did a lot for the D last year, he's going to try to do the same with the forwards.  I'm not sure he can do it all in 1 year though.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

Unfortunately, this is only magnified when your top line isn't able to play like a top line and the PP sucks.

More fingers should be pointing at the top line.

The Sedins have already stated that they're okay with playing on the second line moving forward. It's not their fault that this organization can't find a top line to replace them with. 

Poor guys are 36 years old and still have to carry the team. That's not on them; that's on management and drafting. 

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Many fans on here complaining about Desjardin have little real knowledge to base their opinion on. I highly doubt Canuck management had any illusion about the prospects of this team going in this season. The process of rebuilding this org is in multiple years not a season. Making playoffs seems to be the end game for a huge portion of the fanbase. It has a visceral appeal but fades quickly. The surprise of the 2016-17 to date is all about how quickly the d-core has progressed in such a short time.

Desjardin does not get much credit but he regularly shelters players as they evolve their games. He does that by playing his vets. It can be frustrating for those who want to see more TOI going to prospects but that is what happens with young players. When the 4th line's play improved he inched their TOI up. In the same way he cut the Twins ice back to around 18 minutes. IMHO what coaching has done with Granlund's season has been outstanding.

Desjardin's coaching can be gauged by the attitude of his players. IMO they have played above expectation. Most nights a solid work ethic.  

Willie is going to coach what he's got in any different year.  Rebuilding the team is all Jim.

The Message about "making the playoffs or being competitive"  from Linden and Benning:   has anybody considered that these comments could be as much or more for the players than for the fans?

26 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, it's fine to have smaller forwards and the trend away from size is one thing but I agree, if you don't have any size and sandpaper it can become an issue too.  That's why LaBate was a breath of fresh air in last nights game.  He's 6'5" but listed at only 190!!

This is what I'm driving at.  Just as Benning did a lot for the D last year, he's going to try to do the same with the forwards.  I'm not sure he can do it all in 1 year though.

I'm sure they're aware of it.  They drafted Virtanen, in part (large part) because he had the potential to be a beast of a handful for teams with his size and speed. Even if he never hits 40 goals, hell 30 goals?  He will still be far more useful than people credit.It was, and is, a component we need.

It will come.  It took till the start of his third season before we addressed these issues with the D.  Added talent (Stecher, Juolevi), speed (Stecher, yes Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Juolevi) and size (we all know).  And we had some misses.  Some delays.  That's natural unfortunately. Up front & on the back end. They bring em in for what they show, and give them a crack at camp to see who wins.  As it becomes clear a Jake will be sent down. A Hutton or Stecher will win a job, if they show well, its even easier to be confident.  

But now that it is clear he is adding all compinents, I am vastly more sure its coming... 

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

The Sedins have already stated that they're okay with playing on the second line moving forward. It's not their fault that this organization can't find a top line to replace them with. 

Poor guys are 36 years old and still have to carry the team. That's not on them; that's on management and drafting. 

Good for the Sedins, but they are being paid to produce as a first line and are given prime PP minutes and prime ice to perform. 

Others don't get the same opportunity...it's either produce or get the f&%$k out of my way.

More times than not, this year, they have not met the challenge asked of them. It shows in their stats especially their "+/-".

Someone else mentioned...the fare well accolades tour for the Sedins is getting tired when the team is failing and it will continue next year as well.

To top it all off, JB's plan is to resign them because the Canucks owe them...ffs, the Canucks don't owe them a thing because they are being paid $7 Million per year...if anything, they owe the Canucks for the opportunities given to them.

41 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm sure they're aware of it.  They drafted Virtanen, in part (large part) because he had the potential to be a beast of a handful for teams with his size and speed. Even if he never hits 40 goals, hell 30 goals?  He will still be far more useful than people credit.It was, and is, a component we need.

It will come.  It took till the start of his third season before we addressed these issues with the D.  Added talent (Stecher, Juolevi), speed (Stecher, yes Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Juolevi) and size (we all know).  And we had some misses.  Some delays.  That's natural unfortunately. Up front & on the back end. They bring em in for what they show, and give them a crack at camp to see who wins.  As it becomes clear a Jake will be sent down. A Hutton or Stecher will win a job, if they show well, its even easier to be confident.  

But now that it is clear he is adding all compinents, I am vastly more sure its coming... 

When Benning was constructing the D, I really had the impression that he had maybe 4 or 5 key attrubutes in mind and he wanted to have as many as possible in each pair.  So, if they are (in no particular order): 

1. Puck moving
  2. Power play quarterback
  3. Skating
  4. Physical play
  5. Offense
  6. Defense

Edler (can be physical, can be offensive) Tanev (puck moving, defense)

Hutton (Offense, puck moving) Gudbranson (physical, defense)

Tryamkin (physical, defense) Stecher (Puck moving, power play)

Sbisa (physical) Larsen (puck mover, power play)

You get the picture.

I have to think that Benning will try to do the same with the forwards.  He's going to want a physical presence on every line, a play maker, a trigger man and some speed on every line.

And then Willie will play mix and match with Bennings carefully considered combinations :blink:

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Edler (can be physical, can be offensive) Tanev (puck moving, defense)

Hutton (Offense, puck moving) Gudbranson (physical, defense)

Tryamkin (physical, defense) Stecher (Puck moving, power play)

Sbisa (physical) Larsen (puck mover, power play)

And then Willie will play mix and match with Bennings carefully considered combinations :blink:

Great in theory but you do realize that top pair Edler    ( offsenive  you say but only has 15 pts..  ) Tanev who you list as a puck moving D man  -  Has 1 goal and 4 assists so far this season....

If this is our puck moving offensive pairing.....  we are not going far. 

Look at the flames  ( giordano  27 pts ) and Brodie  25 pts on D...    

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great in theory but you do realize that top pair Edler    ( offsenive  you say but only has 15 pts..  ) Tanev who you list as a puck moving D man  -  Has 1 goal and 4 assists so far this season....

If this is our puck moving offensive pairing.....  we are not going far. 

Look at the flames  ( giordano  27 pts ) and Brodie  25 pts on D...    

You consistently miss my points.  Which is:

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

I have to think that Benning will try to do the same with the forwards.  He's going to want a physical presence on every line, a play maker, a trigger man and some speed on every line.

In other words, if they're lacking physical players up front, I would expect him to be adding a few.  That's how he wants to construct the team, so that every line has balance.  And he has shown us this by the way he is building the defense.

If you look at the way the D pairs will be in say 3 years.  Your favorite, Edler will be gone, replaced by Juolevi.  Sorry to have to break it to you like this.

9 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

You consistently miss my points.  Which is:

In other words, if they're lacking physical players up front, I would expect him to be adding a few.  That's how he wants to construct the team, so that every line has balance.  And he has shown us this by the way he is building the defense.

If you look at the way the D pairs will be in say 3 years.  Your favorite, Edler will be gone, replaced by Juolevi.  Sorry to have to break it to you like this.

I don't see Edler as a physical player.   I do see Guddy , Sbisa  and Tree though as that.   Yes, KOS likes d-men that have a nasty side to their game.

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

I don't see Edler as a physical player. 

I still think the league neutered him a bit with those lame azz suspensions earlier.  Yeah his bad back is a large part of it; but I think the league's "wheel of justice" (which seems to be stacked against us - ie., open season on players wearing a Canucks' jersey) was the ultimate catalyst.

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I still think the league neutered him a bit with those lame azz suspensions earlier.  Yeah his bad back is a large part of it; but I think the league's "wheel of justice" (which seems to be stacked against us - ie., open season on players wearing a Canucks' jersey) was the ultimate catalyst.

Edler best before date has passed.  He is turning 31 soon and to be honest... it happens to almost all D men.  At  31 most D men lose the physical part of the game as they attempt to stay healthy and get a few more years in.....  

Archived