The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Muhammad Ali’s Wife and Son detained at Florida airport

Mackcanuck

‘Are you Muslim?’  Muhammad Ali’s son detained at airport

Muhammad Ali's son, who bears the boxing great's name, was detained by immigration officials at a Florida airport and questioned about his ancestry and religion in what amounted to profiling, a family friend said Saturday.

Returning from a Black History Month event in Jamaica, Muhammad Ali Jr. and his mother, Khalilah Camacho Ali, were pulled aside and separated from each other while going through the immigration checkpoint on Feb. 7 at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, said Chris Mancini, a family friend and attorney.

Camacho Ali was released a short time later after showing a photo of herself with her ex-husband, the former heavyweight boxing champion, Mancini said. But Ali Jr. was not carrying a photo of his world-famous father — a recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Ali Jr., 44, who confirmed his Muslim faith, was detained about two hours, despite telling officials that he's Ali's son and a native-born U.S. citizen, Mancini said. It was the first time Ali Jr. and his mother have ever been asked if they're Muslim when re-entering the United States, he said.

more here

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/7159597--are-you-muslim-muhammad-ali-s-son-detained-at-airport/

1 hour ago, S'all Good Man said:

You can see it coming, the US is going to create a situation of so much tear and intimidation its going to explode under Trump. Hopefully the idiot gets impeached soon. 

I'd rather him get audited for tax evasion, and thrown in jail and lose everything. 

15 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

ahhhhhhh....did someone get asked an extra question at the airport?   The sky is falling!   I have a Central American friend with a whiter girl friend who always had the same issue at the border under Obama. Business as usual.

9299639721_47483eaa3a.jpg

My daughter was TRAUMATIZED by zealous border wanna be world rulers before Trumpalugagus took the wheel.   She was young, frightened and inexperienced at traveling and that was enough for the butchers at the border to haul her in and bully her.....her first passport stamp was one that flagged her.  I will never travel to the States based on this...it likely wouldn't go well, as I won't forget the thuggery tactics they used on her.  Best for all parties involved this way.   Mama Bear stuff.   :)

Give some a badge of authority and they lose their minds and all common sense.

pfftttt..........

I got held up at the border the first time I ever flew on a plane. My crime? 

Ketchup chips.

My bag was searched and I was literally asked "what's this?"

"uh... Ketchup chips......"

- somewhat long awkward pause while being drilled by bloodshot eyes -

"My girlfriend says they don't have them in West Virginia so I'm bringing her some"

- another awkward pause now the dude at the "checkout" is bloodballing me too (do these people not sleep or are they on drugs?)

(packs my stuff back up) "get going"

ok, thanks......

Border guards are whack. They're suspicious of everyone and everything. They always have been. The difference now is you have a media that takes everything it possibly can to blow the point they're trying to make way out of proportion to suit their agenda.

#journalismfailz

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

My daughter was TRAUMATIZED by zealous border wanna be world rulers before Trumpalugagus took the wheel.   She was young, frightened and inexperienced at traveling and that was enough for the butchers at the border to haul her in and bully her.....her first passport stamp was one that flagged her.  I will never travel to the States based on this...it likely wouldn't go well, as I won't forget the thuggery tactics they used on her.  Best for all parties involved this way.   Mama Bear stuff.   :)

Give some a badge of authority and they lose their minds and all common sense.

Bad pea in pod likely. We have them. Nod and smile and carry on. The Ali son story likely has more layers certainly. 

5 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

pfftttt..........

I got held up at the border the first time I ever flew on a plane. My crime? 

Ketchup chips.

My bag was searched and I was literally asked "what's this?"

"uh... Ketchup chips......"

- somewhat long awkward pause while being drilled by bloodshot eyes -

"My girlfriend says they don't have them in West Virginia so I'm bringing her some"

- another awkward pause now the dude at the "checkout" is bloodballing me too (do these people not sleep or are they on drugs?)

(packs my stuff back up) "get going"

ok, thanks......

Border guards are whack. They're suspicious of everyone and everything. They always have been. The difference now is you have a media that takes everything it possibly can to blow the point they're trying to make way out of proportion to suit their agenda.

#journalismfailz

Dumb people get important jobs.

1 hour ago, Nice Finnish said:

The Ali son story likely has more layers certainly. 

Or less.

This would not have been "news" at all if it hadn't happened to someone who's dad happened to be famous. How many people get questioned at the border every day? Seriously.....
Opportunistic pseudo-journalism at it's worst. 

[ munches ketchup chips.... ]

49 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Or less.

This would not have been "news" at all if it hadn't happened to someone who's dad happened to be famous. How many people get questioned at the border every day? Seriously.....
Opportunistic pseudo-journalism at it's worst. 

[ munches ketchup chips.... ]

I think you're looking at this backwards.

The question should be: How many people are being detained for no reason, other than how they look, or what their name might be and how often does it go unreported, because they don't happen to be (or happen to be related to) anyone famous?

From what I can tell, it's happening all too often.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think you're looking at this backwards.

The question should be: How many people are being detained for no reason, other than how they look, or what their name might be and how often does it go unreported, because they don't happen to be (or happen to be related to) anyone famous?

From what I can tell, it's happening all too often.

It's border security.  The US is entitled to protect its borders.  We in .Canada are hopefully as diligent.  Heaven forbid people are inconvenienced.  The days of crossing borders without being detained, and questioned are past.  People should budget extra time into their travel plans.  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's border security.  The US is entitled to protect its borders.  We in .Canada are hopefully as diligent.  Heaven forbid people are inconvenienced.  The days of crossing borders without being detained, and questioned are past.  People should budget extra time into their travel plans.  

It's profiling.

Archived