The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A 4th line enforcer

Toyotasfan

42 minutes ago, Lockhart said:

You can't have a player that is strictly an enforcer in the NHL anymore, you need a player that can play in top 9 or be a top 4 D.

Maroon, Lucic etc.

Ryan Reaves

Jared Boll

Clayton Stoner

Cody McLeod

Jordin Tootoo

Dalton Prout

Shawn Thornton

Jordan Nolan

Kyle Clifford

Micheal Haley

Chris Thorburn.

Not too many, but there are a few still around. 

41 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Man I was hoping we would take the big bas#@% he would be killer with Bo and he could take on any top player I'd put my money on him against Getzlaf.

Getzlaf isn't really a fighter. He just has the size. 

Enforcers are only useful if they're playing with the players that needs the protection. 

Odjick played frequently enough with Pavel. 

McSorely was on the ice at times with Gretzky. 

There's no point in having a 4th line goon that only plays when they're out against the other 4th line.  It's like having someone fight Adam McQuaid when Marchand slewfoots some players...... you surely showed the rat you mean business, by fighting a completely different guy. 

You want to prove your team isn't a push over?  When your star players get targeted, you target their top players.  If Jordin Tootoo runs at Henrik.... then you get Sbisa to whack Patrick Kane's ankles.  Marchand slew foots Daniel... then you get Burrows to do the same against Bergeron.  The next time Dustin Brown "accidentally on purpose" falls onto the Canucks goalie... you get Bo Horvat to drive the net hard and crash into Quick. 

You need a player or players that create space for your more skilled players. Guddy does this, DD will step up, Pedan if Willie ever plays him will also do this. We have no one currently who makes the other teams players accountable. Every decent team has a player or players that fit this mold. You need a player to keep the other teams honest. If Labate could ever learn to fight he might be a nice piece on the fourth line.

Anaheim: Cramarossa/Stoner/Bieksa/Boll

SJ: Haley, but they have a big team 

LAK: King/Clifford/Andreoff/Nolan/McNabb

EDM: Maroon/Lucic/Kassian/Hendricks

CAL: Ferklund/Engelland/Bouma/Hathaway

VAN: Gudbranson.........Dorsett

Our divisional rivals feels there's  a need for tough players on their team to surround their skilled players but for some reason Canucks don't.

3 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I enjoyed watching Labate last night , even though he seemed like a rookie enforcer. I totally agreed with Nick Kyprios in between periods . If Labate took Burns out of the game for 7 minutes he'd be a genius. But we haven't had a forward physical presence since Dorset went down and the Canucks need it. Horvat's going to be targeted by other teams and someone has to have his back. Even it isn't Labate we need that type of player in the line up.

Is there a roster spot for Labate?

2 easy questions to answer that ...

1) Did Joe Labate ever lace up his skates for Medicine Hat Tigers

2) Is Joe Labate a former high drafted player by another club that has given up on him..... ?

If the answer to either question is yes, than Willie will most certainly have a roster spot for him.

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Ignoring your WD hatred, there's no way Sestito was going to make the team with any coach

Ah sorry but Tom won a stanley cup...    How many guys on our club can say that ?

Both Tim Sestito and Tom Sestito  could probably make our club this year....

way I see it we need more young bodies in the lineup which we should get

we need to trade a forward and D man for younger player that will not be in the expansion draft

then add Olli maybe Subban, Labate and Boeser

GET NEW COACH

we should be a playoff team with horvat as the 1st line and the twins finally play second line

after this whatever holes we might have sign free agents and me I would get Miller to another two year deal @ 3 mill the twins after their contract expires give them the same 3 mill for two more years

4 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I enjoyed watching Labate last night , even though he seemed like a rookie enforcer. I totally agreed with Nick Kyprios in between periods . If Labate took Burns out of the game for 7 minutes he'd be a genius. But we haven't had a forward physical presence since Dorset went down and the Canucks need it. Horvat's going to be targeted by other teams and someone has to have his back. Even it isn't Labate we need that type of player in the line up.

Is there a roster spot for Labate?

Could be if Hansen or Burrows get traded.

3 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

We aren't getting Ritchie. We had our chance and took Virtanen instead. 

Dillybar destroyed by big baby boy Ritchie. 

I was in the Ritchie camp, even though I thought Ehlers was the right pick. I knew Ehlers would be the better player, but also believe if Ritchie reached his full potential he would be one of those players every team in the league would be salivating to have. 

4 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Dillybar destroyed by big baby boy Ritchie. 

I was in the Ritchie camp, even though I thought Ehlers was the right pick. I knew Ehlers would be the better player, but also believe if Ritchie reached his full potential he would be one of those players every team in the league would be salivating to have. 

He has 50-60 point Lucic potential. Fighting ability is up there. I watched all his fights in the OHL I don't think he had a single decisive loss. I was pulling for him in that draft but whats done is done. 

5 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

He'll probably have a better shot of cracking next year's lineup. Too many guys on the active roster require waivers to be sent to Utica right now. The Canucks will use LaBate's waiver-exempt status to their advantage.

He's got the kind of fearless grit that the team could sorely use, though. Would also like to see him continue to develop his offensive game but I like what I've seen of him so far.

Sorry, don't mean to be Abrasive, but your GIf if so irritating, so redundant. Please change it up

6 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Labate is a bozo who doesn't know when to start a fight and can't win one after he starts it.

He will be a useful player once he learns the nuances and strategies behind such things. I don't fault him for trying to make an impression, sometimes the young guys try too hard but he'll get over it.

Archived