The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Coyotes trade Martin Hanzal, Ryan White, 4th-round pick to Wild for Grayson Downing, 1st-round pick, 2nd-round pick, conditional pick

• 1 month later...

mini was my cup prediction at the start of the season.  I thought the Hanzal acquisition would of helped them go deep.   I was clearly mistaken lol.

my confidence wained as the season went on but still... first round exit is hard but to be fair the blues are far harder then the Flames would of been.

I don't know how the match ups would of turned out. but I think they need to revert the playoff playoff seeding process. Maybe they can keep the wildcard excitement but remove the whole division vs division nonsense.

It's so easy to look at this trade and say that they lost in 5 games, brutal trade, etc. However, for whoever watched this series, Minnesota was the better team but Jake Allen won them the series. Same with the PIT vs CBJ series - although PIT had firepower to counter CBJ, I thought CBJ was the better team in that series too

Bringing in Hanzal did what expensive deadline acquisitions always do - ruined team chemistry. It's no surprise that after Hanzal's arrival most players' production dipped, and they looked like a team that forgot how good they were for half the series.

No doubt with Hanzal gone in the summer, they'll rebound quickly. But next time, don't mortgage the future for a borderline 3rd line center.

That series was an analytics nightmare. Should have been a Minnesota landslide.

There in lies the issue with building solely around numbers in sports. The human factor (which is what makes it exciting) isn't a numerical value yet time after time it dictates the end result. 

Archived