The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade Brian Boyle to Maple Leafs for Byron Froese, 2nd-round pick

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

what should they have done already?

It's a difficult one to answer, because I understand the need to try and mentor the young players in a positive (being competitive) environment.  The only problem is mediocrity typically puts you out of the top 3 picks which are usually the elite players.  So you end up picking 5th or 6th at the highest and later.   It's compounded when you don't have much in the pipeline already.  It helps you maintain mediocrity but not improve enough to become good.  

So in response to your question you have to ensure to the best of your ability to finish at the bottom of the league at least until you get a player or players good enough to build a championship team around. Trades and UFA's don't work they only compliment those elite players.  

Matthews, McDavid, Laine, Eichel. Mackinnon...

Good trade by Toronto, they think they're going to make some fire in the playoffs and Boyle is the perfect player to complement their young kids and protect them. Didn't have to pay too much either, a 2nd round pick isn't too bad. Komarov and Martin are all well and good but Boyle is much bigger, tougher and more experienced and is actually useful on the ice.

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Wanting the kids to play in a winning environment... Sound familiar?

Rental.  Boyle is an expiring contract.

Sound familiar?  No, because we haven't wasted a pick on a rental since being a contender in the Gillis era.

Make me laugh to see the usual suspects downplay the value of a 2nd relative to a rental when JB gets ripped for using them to acquire 23,24 year olds.  And apologize for this move as if the Laffs are contenders.

Lol. I guess they're done the rebuild, finished stockpiling picks.  Who needs more prospects?  That blueline!

Just do it like the.Leafs.

I guess the Leafs are content with mediocrity, maybe win a round and get a lower pick.

#amidoingthisrightlol

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sound familiar?  No, because we haven't wasted a pick on a rental since being a contender in the Gillis era.

Make me laugh to see the usual suspects downplay the value of a 2nd relative to a rental when JB gets ripped for using them to acquire 23,24 year olds.  And apologize for this move as if the Laffs are contenders.

Lol. I guess they're done the rebuild, finished stockpiling picks.  Who needs more prospects?  That blueline!

I guess the Leafs are content with mediocrity, maybe win a round and get a lower pick.

#amidoingthisrightlol

32,000 posts you should know how to do it right.:lol:

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

32,000 posts you should know how to do it right.:lol:

Yes, Boyle is certainly the piece to push a team right on the verge ( of the playoffs) right over the top!

I love it.  All the Leafs nut huggers in serious denial.  

The ironing.

27 minutes ago, oldnews said:

#amidoingthisrightlol

Deep breath...deep breath...everything is going to be OK. 

19 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yes, Boyle is certainly the piece to push a team right on the verge ( of the playoffs) right over the top!

I love it.  All the Leafs nut huggers in serious denial.  

The ironing.

Leads  nut huggers. :lol:

Who is a leafs fan? 

We know you aren't a sens fan you don't even know who their G.M is..:lol:

Archived