The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Alex Burrows to Senators for Jonathan Dahlen

4 minutes ago, Apricot said:

Benning just destroyed Ottawa

Ottawa has a window and Butt has a strong Playoff pedigree.  He could be an impact player for them down the stretch and for two more years.

Canucks got a young promising forward, albeit currently rather small who is likely a couple years away from a legit chance on the big club. 

Too soon to say who the winner is (if any) but I hope Burrows does well and wins a cup.  IN five years, I hope Dahlen is part of making the Nucks an exciting and contending team again.

Best of Luck Burr...you were a warrior and gave us many great moments and memories!!

I'd have been thrilled with a second, which most likely would have been a late one,  so this is both a trade forward of a year and a trade up to a higher pick than could be expected from a playoff team.

Great deal really for a player that fits nicely and is a year closer to ready.

Couldn't have asked more.

Burrows delivers in the clutch yet again

5 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

How is it not? Erat had a year left on his contract and just came off a 58 point season already had 21 points in 36 games with nashville and then when he got traded he just didn't show up. He gave up. Burrows hasn't had a good season in the last 5 years and he is a UFA. Even with a year left on his contract this would still be an awful trade.

I think Burrows signed a 2 year 5M contract as part of the deal.

folks are discounting Burrows help in delivering Johnathan. What burrow brings to a team at this point of his career is needed on a cup contender .....  At his age of course his offensive play is diminished .... unless your name is Jagr you slow down as you age. Borrows provided on ice leadership and lead by example with his effort.

People forget that 10 years from now ... if he stayed .... he would have been known for the OT goal vs Chicago - unlike the Sedins he doesn't have a shelf of NHL trophies and team records. Burrows earned the right to choose how he finishes his career and for years to come the canucks are now going to be better on ice because of him waiving his no trade.  Respect to Burrows for his years of service and helping this team now with this move. Instead of boo hooing him moving or commenting on his diminishing play - cheer that the guy can take some of the wieght of being the mentor off his shoulders and focus on the playoffs ( something he likely would not get again in his carreer if he stayed here ).

Its his time - hope he gets his cup and a huge 2 thumbs up for Jonathan :)

1 minute ago, The Sedge said:

This isn't a win, this is robbery, someone in Ottawa is asleep at the wheel.  Any chance they thought Burrows was someone else and got the names mixed up lol?

This is a GM feeling the pressure to get his team into the playoffs and ignoring the future.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much.

If the Hansen trade is underwhelming it will be right back to ripping him.

Burrows was arguably one game 7 away from being a Conn Smyth winner.   Teams remember that.   If Ottawa can get 3 playoff performances out of Burrows this trade will look better for them (or even 1 good playoff push). 

Burrows has a proven history of being a playoff performer,  Hansen does not.   Don't be too surprised if Hansen doesn't get back a better return than a 2nd rounder.

And lets acknowledge that this is what Dahlen is - a 2nd round pick.  Its not the giant robbery that everybody thinks it is.   Heck 24 hours ago I bet 95% of the people on this board didn't even know who Dahlen was.   Now all the sudden he's the next greatest thing since sliced bread.  Typical overhype of prospects here in Vancouver. 

Don't miss read me. I like this trade.  But lets just see it as a 2nd round pick for now, and expect something similar for Hansen.   

Archived