The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Alex Burrows to Senators for Jonathan Dahlen

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

Not sure how this will all play out but we could have a pretty damn good looking future by this upcoming draft day. Never thought I'd be able to say that so quickly. 

Thinking back to a year ago when we were all so impressed with how JB revamped our backend in such short time. Fastforward a year and now all of a sudden people are singing the praises of Gaudette, an absolute sleeper of a pick, coupled with the acquisition of Dahlen. Now it looks like we might get another prospect or picks for Hansen and perhaps a top 5 draft pick in June (and two 2nd round picks!). JB deserves a lot of credit.

Yes he does.

Could be a great draft year for us, and considering the Blue Jackets are playing well this season, perhaps they grant us the 2nd round pick we get for Tortarella this year, rather than next year.. I believe it's conditions come to term in the 2018 season. (I think that is one of the picks you're referring to?)

2 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

Not bad. Dalhen is a munchkin but he seem feisty enough despite that.

Just nice that Benning finally did something and managed to not lose a pick in the process. Just hope he doesn't think the job is done.

Can you Benning bashers ever give the man credit when it's deserved? Why is it always a backhanded "compliment"? I don't like all the moves Benning has made, but sheesh he just got a PPG (in the Swedish 2 league) 19 year old low 2nd round draft pick in a deep draft for a 35 year old 3rd liner. What will it take for you guys to be happy? *sigh*

8 minutes ago, darkpoet said:

Bo doesn't have a fat ass. Virtanen on the other hand, it's like he struggles to walk with his back straight ::D

Not fat, but a large bottom.  Hockey players with large bottoms are incredibly difficult to move off their ice.  This new guy has a large bottom.  He kind of looks like a mini Jagr.

1 minute ago, 6string said:

The lineup now includes four players similar in stature and in playmaking ability with this acquisition, Baertschi, Granlund and Anton Rodin, any thoughts on this?

rodin wont be tendered a contract come july 1?

or we are potentially moving one of the other two, or know one will get plucked by vegas

30 minutes ago, J.R. said:

It's not his strength. That said, it's not really a 'weakness' per se either. He's not a slug. He's an 'ok' skater who could work on that facet to better thrive in the NHL. 

Right now he lacks the break away speed that would allow him to thrive, even dominate. But he's also only 20 and if he had that, we wouldn't have got him for Burr. 

2 minutes ago, 6string said:

The lineup now includes four players similar in stature and in playmaking ability with this acquisition, Baertschi, Granlund and Anton Rodin, any thoughts on this?

I don't think Rodin will be part of this teams future.

As for the other three, you can never have too much skill. It allows us to spread it around to the top 3 lines.

Canucks win the trade.  Sad to see Burrows go, forever a Canucks legend for his clutch performances over the years.  Never thought he would be more than a role player when he first made the team back in 2005/06 but his drive and determination led him to become an excellent 2nd/3rd liner for us.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

As for the other three, you can never have too much skill. It allows us to spread it around to the top 3 lines.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another one year deal for Rodin, he hasn't gotten a chance to show yet.  The Canucks are still going to need to fill their roster, and with Burrows gone, Rodin fits in that spot.

Just now, stawns said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see another one year deal for Rodin, he hasn't gotten a chance to show yet.  The Canucks are still going to need to fill their roster, and with Burrows gone, Rodin fits in that spot.

I should have said long term future.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This.

Rodin sad to say but this may be the end of the line for him, at least in Vancouver. 

And yeah, Dahlen is a center and ideally you kind of want size down the middle, but if those guys are spread out over 3 lines and surrounded with some bigger players it will balance out.

And they aren't THAT small. Those 3 guys are averaged sized players in todays game. (or will be in Dahlens case after he fills out a bit)

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not fat, but a large bottom.  Hockey players with large bottoms are incredibly difficult to move off their ice.  This new guy has a large bottom.  He kind of looks like a mini Jagr.

Team 1040 interviewed someone who said he will probably be close to 200lb once mature. so he must be stocky.

1 minute ago, darkpoet said:

This.

Rodin sad to say but this may be the end of the line for him, at least in Vancouver. 

And yeah, Dahlen is a center and ideally you kind of want size down the middle, but if those guys are spread out over 3 lines and surrounded with some bigger players it will balance out.

Lots of players make the move to wing after they're drafted. Granlund was able to do it pretty well.

I imagine that's what will happen with Dahlen.

The following is from a senators blog site.  Currently there are about 3000 comments below the article where they posted that Sens traded for Burrows.  The comedy is that for about the first 1500 comments they did not know who they had traded for Burrows - they were just debating Burrows' character and the merrits of signing an older vet for 2 years..  Then about half way down the comments, when word came out that it was Dahlen coming the other way, BAM! they have a collective meltdown:

http://senschirp.ca/news/senators-closing-deal-burrows/

4 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

The following is a senators blog.  Currently there are about 3000 comments below the article where they posted that Sens traded for Burrows.  The comedy is that for about the first 1500 comments they did not know who they had traded for Burrows - they were just debating Burrows' character and the merrits of signing an older vet for 2 years..  Then about half way down the comments, when word came out that it was Dahlen coming the other way, BAM! they have a collective meltdown:

http://senschirp.ca/news/senators-closing-deal-burrows/

Some of them thought us giving up Burrows and a 3rd for Lazar was a bad deal for them. :lol:

Archived