The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

16 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

If the organization is not going to reward players who protect their teammates, then they shouldn’t be surprised when players only play for themselves.

There are a number of NHL teams who react to physical play by swarming in defense of team mates. Bruins and Flames for sure. Cherry always said that Stan Johnathan made all his team mates play 20 pounds heavier. 

As much as fans want their players to defend team mates the reality of concussions and the implications for long term health is not lost on young players. They have more info on concussions than any other generation. We all worry when a Dahlen or EP40 go down with a concussion but should also realize that the full affects are felt more by the very players we want to exact retribution for hits made on our talented players. Would any of us be surprised if Tom Sestito ended up with long term concussion issues? Would we be surprised if Zack McEwen was very aware of the risks he would take even if he was hit once in the face? Hockey players have been willing to take that risk in the past so they could continue playing the game, whether at a high level or as a foot soldier. 

I like physical hockey players as I consider physical play the counter to extremely talented finesse players. Hockey is a fundamentally physical game whether exhibited by speed or by body contact. We can only hope that superior knowledge of the physical risks will prevent players from experiencing long term health problems. Players who cannot compete without extreme preditory behavior have to be cut loose.    

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

What is your point?   Just do nothing, accept it, move on?

Toughness is best done proactively than reactively.  Remember when the Canucks were reactively tough under Torts?  Teams just pushed them into a reaction and let the power plays roll in.

23 hours ago, Wilbur said:

All the response the world won't change the fact that Dahlen has a concussion.  All the toughness in the world doesn't necessarily protect against stupid like Tangradi.

Players like Tangradi only respond to two things. 1) Force vs force (fight) or 2) physical treatment to other vulnerable players on their team (hit their younger less physical players - hard).   

It's just how it works. In a perfect world players like Tangradi who hit to injure are not in the league.  By the way I love clean physical play.

Edited by Borvat

I think the swarm response is the most acceptable response.....

I keep on think about the rat Marchand, but that is exactly what he does, when responding to a fellow player being hit

then the rest of the team follows.....

Same thing when he starts something...….they swarm in to protect him

The old fashioned fist fight is almost out of the league

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

same asshole who broke Sautner's face with his elbow.

Tangradi better keep his head up because when we play him next, there are going to be some hell to pay

Nothing happened after he broke the face of one of the Comet's best defenseman. What makes you think it'll be different this time?

I was looking to see if the AHL has in its rule book something about repeat offenders and a graduated suspension mechanism but was surprised to find nothing. If any of the CDC'ers on here have knowledge on this I would love to see it. Seems odd that they would not have something similar to the NHL in that regard.

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

There are a number of NHL teams who react to physical play by swarming in defense of team mates. Bruins and Flames for sure. Cherry always said that Stan Johnathan made all his team mates play 20 pounds heavier. 

As much as fans want their players to defend team mates the reality of concussions and the implications for long term health is not lost on young players. They have more info on concussions than any other generation. We all worry when a Dahlen or EP40 go down with a concussion but should also realize that the full affects are felt more by the very players we want to exact retribution for hits made on our talented players. Would any of us be surprised if Tom Sestito ended up with long term concussion issues? Would we be surprised if Zack McEwen was very aware of the risks he would take even if he was hit once in the face? Hockey players have been willing to take that risk in the past so they could continue playing the game, whether at a high level or as a foot soldier. 

I like physical hockey players as I consider physical play the counter to extremely talented finesse players. Hockey is a fundamentally physical game whether exhibited by speed or by body contact. We can only hope that superior knowledge of the physical risks will prevent players from experiencing long term health problems. Players who cannot compete without extreme preditory behavior have to be cut loose.    

You are far more likely to get concussed from a hit from behind face first into the boards than in a fight.  You are also more likely to get concussed from an elbow thrown when you are going twenty miles an hour one way, and the other guy is going 20 mph the other.  Most of the concussion causing hits that I see in the NHL go unpunished.  Maybe a few lawsuits would bring the NHL into the 21st century with regard to this issue.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Toughness is best done proactively than reactively.  Remember when the Canucks were reactively tough under Torts?  Teams just pushed them into a reaction and let the power plays roll in.

Running over the other team’s best players repeatedly is the best remedy and doesn’t necessarily draw a penalty. Having scrums is just dumb and annoys the refs.

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What a ridiculous thing to post.

Try actually reading what I was replying to before posting a stupid answer! I was not replying or inferring Canucks but the Comets in my comment and there are quite a few players on that team that are not likely to try and run over the other teams best players. MacMaster, Dahlen, Jasek, Boucher, Lind and even Gaunce just to name a few!

Must be some really good stuff you are smoking tonight as normally I find your posts informative instead of crap like this.

Just now, Kootenay Gold said:

Try actually reading what I was replying to before posting a stupid answer! I was not replying or inferring Canucks but the Comets in my comment and there are quite a few players on that team that are not likely to try and run over the other teams best players. MacMaster, Dahlen, Jasek, Boucher, Lind and even Gaunce just to name a few!

Must be some really good stuff you are smoking tonight as normally I find your posts informative instead of crap like this.

Your implying that professional hockey players are shying away from contact is ridiculous.    This "we need to be tougher" stuff is old, tired and simply out of pace with reality.   Someone started a similar thread after a Canuck game tonight where they outhit the Oilers.    

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Your implying that professional hockey players are shying away from contact is ridiculous.    This "we need to be tougher" stuff is old, tired and simply out of pace with reality.   Someone started a similar thread after a Canuck game tonight where they outhit the Oilers.    

That is not what the original poster said at all and you are missing the point. I never implied that they were shying away from hitting and that is not what the previous poster said

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Running over the other team’s best players repeatedly

I don't see that happening on the Comets except by a very few select players, Archie, MacEwen at times, Arseneau and Woods would be the most likely.... far cry from a lot of players.

Last I looked this was not the Canucks thread but you keep throwing that back into the conversation to try and make your point.

• Upvote 1