The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

19 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Considering it's his first full season of pro, and playing on NA sized ice, I'd say he's doing quite well. Not everyone can be Pettersson. 

I'm guessing he starts flirting with a PPG pace in the AHL next year and eventually gets called up during the 2019/20 season.

Not just the adjustment to pro play for Dahlen. He has to adjust his body to stand up to heavier NA play. That takes time along with the adjustment. I would be fascinated if a TV crew went to Uitca and did a piece on the rookies and what they do off the ice to improve their games. What weights and what routines?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Watched the Utica game today and really liked Jonathan's game today.  Scored a nice little backhander in close.  I am a little concerned about JG22.  He looks lost out there.  I think he will need at least 2 more years in Utica to find his big man's game.  Not an easy transition for younger big guys.

14 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Not just the adjustment to pro play for Dahlen. He has to adjust his body to stand up to heavier NA play. That takes time along with the adjustment. I would be fascinated if a TV crew went to Uitca and did a piece on the rookies and what they do off the ice to improve their games. What weights and what routines?  

Such a article or TV episode would help educate fans on the time and effort that goes into 'off ice' training' for young prospects who need to retrain their bodies for pro hockey. Many NHL players talk of this adjustment, not just of their physical makeup but also the 'mental' changes required. In my mind it explains why some prospects can make these adjustments and others cannot. It is odd that this side of the game does not get a lot of coverage. Hockey people talk about it all the time.  

• Upvote 1

I think if he can finish the year with around 40 points, it should be considered a successful first year in NA.  While expectations were sky high when he came over, and then crashed after his first 20 games, a 40 point season for a 21 year old, although not amazing, is nothing to sneeze at either.  But he will have to improve on it next year if he hopes to significant call up time.

With all the injuries to the big club right now, I expect Dahlen should see prime first-line, first PP time for the next stretch of games.  

On 2/10/2019 at 3:38 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Considering it's his first full season of pro, and playing on NA sized ice, I'd say he's doing quite well. Not everyone can be Pettersson. 

I'm guessing he starts flirting with a PPG pace in the AHL next year and eventually gets called up during the 2019/20 season.

Putting on ten pounds of muscle would help.

1 minute ago, kenhodgejr said:

This year has been exactly what Dahlen needed in terms of getting used to the North American Pro game. I bet his play at the 2019 Canucks prospects camp compared to 2018 will be huge. This is what he needed for his development. I think he should still go back to Utica and dominate for another season. 

It will be very interesting to see who can stick with Van next fall. I suspect Gaudette and MacEwen up front are high on the list but we should not write off Gaunce. It could come down to how their Calder Cup run goes. If they go deep other NHL scouts will be looking at the roster in hopes of making a deal. 

• Upvote 3

To become an NHL player, Dahlen will have to become a point a game or better player in the next couple  years in the AHL He is pretty one dimensional - top six or bust kind of guy - and there are guys ahead of him at nearly that pace - MacEwan and Gaunce - and a guy almost at Dahlen's current pace - Jasek - who brings a lot more elements to his game.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

To become an NHL player, Dahlen will have to become a point a game or better player in the next couple  years in the AHL He is pretty one dimensional - top six or bust kind of guy - and there are guys ahead of him at nearly that pace - MacEwan and Gaunce - and a guy almost at Dahlen's current pace - Jasek - who brings a lot more elements to his game.

He may already be better than Goldy at burying EP's passes...Dahlen has much of the same skill level and defensive liablilities as Goldy but he seems to have more heart and more chemistry with EP...I can't count the times Goldy has been setup with an open net only to rifle it just wide or hit the post.

Dahlen needs talented players around him and I think he will make it work better than Goldy has to date...I think he makes the team at some point next year.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

He may already be better than Goldy at burying EP's passes...Dahlen has much of the same skill level and defensive liablilities as Goldy but he seems to have more heart and more chemistry with EP...I can't count the times Goldy has been setup with an open net only to rifle it just wide or hit the post.

Dahlen needs talented players around him and I think he will make it work better than Goldy has to date...I think he makes the team at some point next year.

I honestly do think Dahlen would do better than Goldy if he was called up. He is sneaky when it comes to defence, like Petey is. I'm not as worried about him as others are. His big issue is confidence, but once he gets it he doesn't let go like Goldy does...Dahlen continues to rise, Goldy is a roller coaster of mental fragility.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Not according to what I read. When Jim Benning calls the Utica Coach he doesn't ask... how many points is a player getting.

He asks "is the player playing the right way" In other words his overall game. Is he playing defence also.

59 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Previous EP 40 chemistry withstanding, I actually see Dahlen as a better fit with Horvat long term.

I could see that as a good match. Plus he will have to be successful with anyone they put him with or he's just Goldobin all over again. But I will give Dahlen props, he has looked really good for a while now with Utica. Him and Jasek to me are NHL talent.

Gadj and Lind have a bit to go, but they are making some progress now too. The farm has been fun to watch this year. We are finally starting to see some development happening!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I could see that as a good match. Plus he will have to be successful with anyone they put him with or he's just Goldobin all over again. But I will give Dahlen props, he has looked really good for a while now with Utica. Him and Jasek to me are NHL talent.

Gadj and Lind have a bit to go, but they are making some progress now too. The farm has been fun to watch this year. We are finally starting to see some development happening!

Glad that Sauntner got a call but I was hoping MacEwen would go down as well and Jasek given 2 - 3 games. 

5 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Crap source like you yourself have already stated.

Kinda weird too because some Utica fans have said that Dahlen has really turned it on lately and is playing well lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1