The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

One hit from a Ferland type and he would be done in the pros. There is no way he gets to 200 lbs, he just doesn't have the frame for it, and I don't seem him leading us to a Stanley Cup. Maybe as part of an overall team, but definitely not leading the way and we need to be drafting guys that can be leading us in these next few years. I would draft a guy like Pettersson in like 3-4 years time, but not now. I know there are several people out that are also wanting to draft this guy, but he is not on my board. 

Right we should draft another Virtanen.

He wasn't on my radar either except for minor interest until we grabbed Dahlen. However I'm curious who this saviour you see us drafting in 2017 is. We are not drafting top 5 so ruling that out who do you see as leading us to a Stanley cup @ 6-15 in this draft?  

If Gradin and JB decide to grab him I would trust that they know more than I do about the kid. Gradin seems to be pretty on point when it comes to digging swede gems.

1 hour ago, PuckFather said:

Here's the translation of his interview with the Swedish media:

Jonathan Dahlen picked up the phone after the game against Västervik.

And got a shock. Hundreds of new followers welcomed him to the Vancouver Canucks - who swapped him of Ottawa Senators .

- It's insane. I really had no idea, he says. 

Jonathan Dahlen has made great success in Timra, and is predicted to be hot quarry SHL clubs for next season.

The Ottawa Senators have also been seen as a potential new club address - until late Monday evening.

When it became clear that the Senators, who drafted 19-year-old last summer, traded Dahlen for Vancouver's alternate captain Alexandre Burrows, Dahlen could not believe his eyes when he picked up the phone after losing the match against Västervik.

- I got a shock and still has not really sunk in.I read it just now. I had received hundreds of new followers on Twitter and a lot of notices where people welcomed me to the Vancouver Canucks. It is totally sick, says Jonathan Dahlen. 

Dreaming of games with Sedins

The forward has 24 goals for the Hockey Allsvenskan season and must now change about in their dreams.

Instead of gambling with Erik Karlsson in the Canadian capital of Ottawa can now be gambling with the brothers Daniel and Henrik Sedin at the other end of the country.

- It would be crazy to play with them. I guess that's what I'm going to dream about in the future.

Vancouver traded their assistant captain to pick up you?

- Yes, what can I say ... it feels so clear and fun, they seem to believe in me in Vancouver, says Jonathan Dahlen.

So sick he's such a sedin fan. Born in the same town as edler I think. Been watching a couple YouTube videos jb was right the van has a slick shot and is definitely not afraid to drive the puck to the net. 

28 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I honestly would not like a line with that size in the NHL as our go to line. They will just get thrown around out there. We need skill yes, but we cannot forgo size and truculence if we want to win in the playoffs. 

1 or 2 players does not mean you 'forgo size and truculence". Size is only part of the equation in the end. The Jets have had a lot of size the past few years. How well has that worked for them? How about Burke and his "size and truculent" Leafs that wasn't good until they finally got smaller players like Marner and skill like Matthews on the team?

While size helps, it would be extremely narrow-sighted to think it's the only thing we need. We wouldn't get anywhere without skill to go with that size.

Edited by The Lock

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Right we should draft another Virtanen.

He wasn't on my radar either except for minor interest until we grabbed Dahlen. However I'm curious who this saviour you see us drafting in 2017 is. We are not drafting top 5 so ruling that out who do you see as leading us to a Stanley cup @ 6-15 in this draft?  

If Gradin and JB decide to grab him I would trust that they know more than I do about the kid. Gradin seems to be pretty on point when it comes to digging swede gems.

If Virtanen puts it all together and reaches a now lowered ceiling, he will be a pivotal component to a Cup run. You do not know where we are drafting so to say that "we are not drafting top 5" is a little beyond what you can knowingly say at this moment. But we land 6-7 or so and Mittelstadt is still available, I take him. 

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

1 or 2 players does not mean you 'forgo size and truculence". Size is only part of the equation in the end. The Jets have had a lot of size the past few years. How well has that worked for them? How about Burke and his "size and truculent" Leafs that wasn't good until they finally got smaller players like Marner and skill like Matthews on the team?

While size helps, it would be extremely narrow-sighted to think it's the only thing we need. We wouldn't get anywhere without skill to go with that size.

I didn't say that we didn't need skill or we shouldn't acquire skill. I just don't want to use our high draft picks for another Swede on our team that will end up as a punching bag for rat boy. We need tougher leadership. I don't mind drafting players like Ehlers on Winnipeg because at least he has some grit and tenacity in his plays. I have had enough of Swedish leadership to hold me over for awhile. It's time to try something else out. 

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

If Virtanen puts it all together and reaches a now lowered ceiling, he will be a pivotal component to a Cup run. You do not know where we are drafting so to say that "we are not drafting top 5" is a little beyond what you can knowingly say at this moment. 

I didn't say that we didn't need skill or we shouldn't acquire skill. I just don't want to use our high draft picks for another Swede on our team that will end up as a punching bag for rat boy. We need tougher leadership. I don't mind drafting players like Ehlers on Winnipeg because at least he has some grit and tenacity in his plays. I have had enough of Swedish leadership to hold me over for awhile. It's time to try something else out. 

Without the leadership of those punching bags drafted by count Trucula himself we would have never been in the SCF at all. I don't see your point. 

I like Mittlestadt as well I certainly have him higher on my list than Petttersson. That may change though the more I watch Dahlen now.

Edited by hammertime

Observations:

February 2017 – The Canucks acquired Dahlen from the Senators straight up for Alexandre Burrows, which definitely expedites Dahlen’s eventual NHL arrival. - Dobber

December 2016 - Dahlen will try and join future teammate Filip Ahl in competing for Team Sweden at the WJC in Montreal and Toronto later this month. Dahlen has been a big part of the Timra offense this season with 12 goals, a team high, and 20 points in 25 games. He's on pace to fly past his totals from last season as he's only thee goals and nine points shy of the 2015-16 totals with half the season to go. Brad Phillips

July 2016 – The feisty goal scorer played his draft year against men in the second best Swedish senior league and lead his team in scoring. A relentless forechecker that despite his smaller size aggressively pursues the puck and digs in the hard areas.  Dahlen owns a good wrist shot and has good hockey sense and vision.  Undrafted in the CHL import draft, Dahlen will return to Timra in Sweden again next season. Peter Harling

June 2016 – Continuing with the unofficial theme of the 2016 Draft, Ottawa selected Jonathan Dhalen, son of former first rounder Ulf, with their second pick. He was a big riser in the draft rankings thanks to an exceptional second half of the season, with suggestions that he may be a late first round selection. This past year was Dahlen’s second with the Timra organization and his first full campaign in the Allsvenskan. Skating in 51 regular season games, Dahlen scored 15 times and amassed 29 points, both highs for an offensively inept team. In five playoffs games he accounted for half of his team’s offense with six goals while adding one helper.

On the offensive side of the game, he’s equally adept at scoring and setting up teammate with aplomb possessing a solid set of mitts and a quick release. He’s a solid skater who does everything at a high rate of quickness. Dahlen will never be the biggest guy on the ice but that doesn’t deter him from exhibiting a high compete level and playing bigger than his size. He’s not afraid to drive to the net when carrying the puck and is a tenacious forechecker and is a solid defensive player. Coming back into the zone he keeps his head on a swivel.

Likely at least two to three years away from seriously challenging for a roster spot, Dhalen could be the next in the long list of impressive Swedes to suit of for the Senators. Brad Phillips

Fantasy Outlook: B

Second line playmaking winger who sees time on the powerplay. 60-point upside.

Sounds pretty neat to me!

I cannot wait until we have Dahlen - Horvat - Boeser on our top line in few seasons :D lol their play styles look like they would gel so well together!! :D DDDDDDD

Thank you ALEX BURROWS! <3 not only did you bring us great memories, community leadership, and a wonderful life story as a player.  You have also now brought us our next great sniper in Dahlen.!!  Dahlen! Dahlen! Dahlen!!!!!!!

thx burr buddy :D 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

The kids edge work is amazing. Such an underrated skill. You watch the videos and his feet are always turning to his advantage to get around defenders. He'll be hard to get off the puck when he packs on some more muscle

Yeah I agree. His highlights are nuts how he dances around the size and shifts his weight so effortlessly to get around people.

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

I honestly don't see Granlund, Gaunce, and Baertschi with us in the near future but that's just me.  I can see Horvat being a Bergeron type number 1 center but if we end up with Patrick/Hischier, I think it really makes things interesting. But we're missing a first line LW and a bonafide defenceman. And the only way we can achieve that is by drafting. There's also the coveted number one collegiate forward Aston-Reese who would be a great fit in the top 6 and accelerate the rebuild.

_____-Horvat-Boeser

Aston-Reese-_____-Lockwood

Dahlen-Sutter-Virtanen

Labate-Gaudette-Grenier

Would be nice to have a big center down the middle and a PWF beside a two-way forward and a sniper. 

That lineup could conceivably still fit Henrik and Daniel.

Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

Essentially a 2nd round pick who has only boosted his value since being drafted.

This is exactly what we need and Benning knows that. Low risk high reward trade. We get a 2nd rounder for Burrows which is much better than I thought we would. The big risk is whether or not he'll be able to play against men in North America, but by watching highlights it looks like he likes taking pucks straight to the net, similar to how Horvat does, but with more finesse and less power. Lots of skill. That's what this team needs now. We've got the two-way awareness from forwards. We've got a bit of size and grit (Horvat, Virtanen), but we need playmaking ability in our top-6.

Essentially makes the Nylander non-pick mute, because Dahlen has that elite skill. Now lets see if he can play with the big boys.

AHL next season all season as their top-6 center (may have to settle for 2nd line center), then get the occasional call up. We need him to play center, not wing too. Hopefully he'll get some NHL games in playing and learning under the Sedins because they'd be PERFECT mentors for him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Essentially a 2nd round pick who has only boosted his value since being drafted.

This is exactly what we need and Benning knows that. Low risk high reward trade. We get a 2nd rounder for Burrows which is much better than I thought we would. The big risk is whether or not he'll be able to play against men in North America, but by watching highlights it looks like he likes taking pucks straight to the net, similar to how Horvat does, but with more finesse and less power. Lots of skill. That's what this team needs now. We've got the two-way awareness from forwards. We've got a bit of size and grit (Horvat, Virtanen), but we need playmaking ability in our top-6.

Essentially makes the Nylander non-pick mute, because Dahlen has that elite skill. Now lets see if he can play with the big boys.

AHL next season all season as their top-6 center (may have to settle for 2nd line center), then get the occasional call up. We need him to play center, not wing too. Hopefully he'll get some NHL games in playing and learning under the Sedins because they'd be PERFECT mentors for him.

i'm excited about Dahlen. he looks like he's going to be a beauty of a player. does he have good skill, or "elite" level skill, though? 

8 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wouldn't go that far. He still picked an underwhelming prospect 6th overall.

This does go a long ways in filling the glaring lack of skill we had in our system though.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, PuckFather said:

Here's the translation of his interview with the Swedish media:

Jonathan Dahlen picked up the phone after the game against Västervik.

And got a shock. Hundreds of new followers welcomed him to the Vancouver Canucks - who swapped him of Ottawa Senators .

- It's insane. I really had no idea, he says. 

Jonathan Dahlen has made great success in Timra, and is predicted to be hot quarry SHL clubs for next season.

The Ottawa Senators have also been seen as a potential new club address - until late Monday evening.

When it became clear that the Senators, who drafted 19-year-old last summer, traded Dahlen for Vancouver's alternate captain Alexandre Burrows, Dahlen could not believe his eyes when he picked up the phone after losing the match against Västervik.

- I got a shock and still has not really sunk in.I read it just now. I had received hundreds of new followers on Twitter and a lot of notices where people welcomed me to the Vancouver Canucks. It is totally sick, says Jonathan Dahlen. 

Dreaming of games with Sedins

The forward has 24 goals for the Hockey Allsvenskan season and must now change about in their dreams.

Instead of gambling with Erik Karlsson in the Canadian capital of Ottawa can now be gambling with the brothers Daniel and Henrik Sedin at the other end of the country.

- It would be crazy to play with them. I guess that's what I'm going to dream about in the future.

Vancouver traded their assistant captain to pick up you?

- Yes, what can I say ... it feels so clear and fun, they seem to believe in me in Vancouver, says Jonathan Dahlen.

How can you not like this kid?  I was a fan of the trade when it happened but to see some real enthusiasm from him as well is exciting. Hopefully our fans continue to give him this kind of support while he adjusts to North America because he has the potential to be a big part of our future.  Stoked to see him play!

4 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I should clarify: I meant he could be similar to Granlund in terms of potential impact on the team. Dahlen definitely plays a more offensive game compared to Granlund's 2 way game. I was talking about how I think Dahlin could be a good middle 6 guy like Granlund. It was my fault, I should have specified. My apologies.

You bring up some good points on Dahlen though. For me, the biggest thing is his skating. He doesn't have to be elite, but I think he should definitely work on it extensively over the next 1-2 years. He seems to have good instincts on the attack, but I think he could take advantage of more if his skating improves.

I'm curious, how do you see our prospect pool looking? I'm thinking something along the lines of:

_______ - _______ - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - _______

Dahlen - Gaudette - Virtanen

Granlund - Gaunce - Lockwood

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Hutton - Tanev (only vet)

Tryamkin - Stetcher

Brisebois

Demko

Markstrom

That looks like some solid depth, especially if we can find a better center than Horvat. If not, then we deploy him as our 1C.

I think our forward group is looking solid. If we win the draft lottery we'll be set. Also if minnesota is still oprn for business a guy like Tuch for Hansen would be great

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Dahlen-Hischier-Tuch

Granlund-Gaudette-Virtanen

Gaunce-Cassels-Lockwood

That offence can score defend and could dominate imo

29 minutes ago, BaerToBo said:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Dahlen-Hischier-Tuch

Granlund-Gaudette-Virtanen

Gaunce-Cassels-Lockwood

So you are basically assuming everyone one of our prospects hits their fullest potential?  That is a whole lot of question marks, friend.  You are likely to be right on about 1/3 of those names.  

This acquisition absolutely helps our forward depth, but at this point is only help.  There is much more work to do - with near sure-fire actual elite forwards still required, and perhaps a bit more size.  Horvat may or may not become a 1st line center, and Hischier may or may not become a 2nd line center.  Baertschi, in my opinion, will remain a 2nd liner at best.  Boeser may indeed become a 1st liner but that all depends on how he translates his game to the NHL.  (And I suppose there is still a small possibility he may not even sign with us).  

I think your 3rd and 4th lines are reasonable at least - though Cassels has done little to make me believe he will ever reach the NHL.

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again here - I believe Benning was given a pretty empty cupboard and has done an admirable job of building a complimentary team.  But we still lack likely top end talent, without a clear plan on how to get it.  At least with Dahlen we have one more potential piece in the prospect pool.

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

So you are basically assuming everyone one of our prospects hits their fullest potential?  That is a whole lot of question marks, friend.  You are likely to be right on about 1/3 of those names.  

This acquisition absolutely helps our forward depth, but at this point is only help.  There is much more work to do - with near sure-fire actual elite forwards still required, and perhaps a bit more size.

Where did I say they were all gonna reach their potential?? Odds are some will fail and some will exceed expectations. Its not like were going to just one year make that our opening night lineup all im saying is our forward core is looking solid for the future and we have something to look forward to