The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

13 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

I think it's been very clear that although there's a few Canucks that can play with EP and bring some talent to the table that works with him nobody is on his level.

I think the same could be true for Dahlen in Utica and possibly why his production there isn' tas high as we'd like ot fo be. I haven't seen Dahlen play lately but from what I'd seen in the past he does have some of the over the top skills that EP possesses. Right now I assume they're teaching him like they did with Goldobin and Virtanen to do some of the little things better so he doesn't hurt the team on the defensive side and so they can give him a chance soon see what they can do together and I'd love to see that.

Obviously there's a huge benefit of they're paired together and they have that chemistry we all know EP needs to play at his highest level but there's also some great fallout if that happened also.

Personally I'd like to see a Horvat, Boeser and Baertschi reunion when healthy and a Pettersson, Dahlen with MacEwen, Virtanen or even Rousell line in the future because I feel like also having a big strong body with skill could really pay dividends on the boards, net front making space and as protection against the extracurricular physicality teams would surely use to stop their skill.

Seems like the team is reluctant to bring in some kids and I understand their reasoning to a point but really I'm not sure why they can't get at least a small taste at the right time and see what they've got and at worse show them what they need to go back down to work on. It's not like the guys they'd be replacing are doing a whole lot to help the team anyway and in Goldobin and Leipsic they're both turning the puck over more than any coach would like to see but are still given the chance over and over again.

If I'm Green after this roadtrip or not too long from now I try MacEwen, Dahlen, Guance and Sautner/Chatfield/Brisbois and sit Pouliot, Archibald and Schaller 3 guys not bringing enough to the team and possibly Goldobin and Leipsic at some point as well. 

I personally think at this point it's better to address the clearly weaker links on the team and see if those spots could be improved now or in the future with some very capable young players in Utica who could very well come in and make a strong positive impact immediately and also have these players like Archibald, Schaller, Pouliot, MDZ, Leipsic and Goldobin doing all they can to earn a spot on the team.

Anyway I feel like moving some Utica players in could give the team some much needed life and really see no reason to at least try a few kids out and if things worked out like I think they would I could really see MacEwen, Dahlen and Chatfield, Brisbois or Sautner getting this team to another level!

Dahlen is a long way from ready, especially defensively - he is where Goldobin was 2 years ago.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Dahlen is not a long way from ready. I bet if he was brought up to play with Pettersson, those two could do wonders for this team. instead we have goldy who is not ready, 

Dahlen’s game is an NHL game.  He needs to physically mateure still though, before we bring him up.  I’d say next season for Dahlen. 

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Dahlen is not a long way from ready. I bet if he was brought up to play with Pettersson, those two could do wonders for this team. instead we have goldy who is not ready, 

I gotta ask, how many Utica games have you watched this season? You are consistently pushing Dahlen being NHL ready and I'm curious to where these claims are coming from. From the games I have watched he doesn't even look close yet. He looks like he has potential to be a good player one day and would hate to see him rushed into the NHL early. Curious what you are seeing that I may be missing.

I haven't watched any of the last couple games and sounds like he played well in those.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I gotta ask, how many Utica games have you watched this season? You are consistently pushing Dahlen being NHL ready and I'm curious to where these claims are coming from. From the games I have watched he doesn't even look close yet. He looks like he has potential to be a good player one day and would hate to see him rushed into the NHL early. Curious what you are seeing that I may be missing.

I haven't watched any of the last couple games and sounds like he played well in those.

I am going to guess none. Dahlen will be good but simply is not NHL ready. Posters yelling to bring him up are being silly imo.

• Upvote 2

Things in Utica haven’t gone the way I had hoped this early season. Losing Demko and also dealing with the Canucks losing a quarter of their starting line up to injury in the first twenty games has been disappointing.3

This is hitting the rookies in Utica and is a baptism of fire. Better in the AHL than the NHL for all players not named Pettersson (Honerable mention to Gaudette). 

Getting bodies back back into the lineup will be a tonic for the whole system. Having two 6 game road trips in the first twenty has only made things a little harder. 

Dahlen, Lind, OJ, Gaudette and Gads have a steep learning curve and need to learn to fall down before learning to run at the Pro level. 

If things can’t be smoothed out on the injury front to allow Gaudette and a few vets to be sent back down, I Hope JB opens up the trade front to bring in some ringers for Utica. 

We could really use a few good vets to help the team along. IMO I would rather, atm, boost Utica over the big club to keep the development pipeline working. 

Getting our younger players NHL ready has to be the main goal. That means making Utica as strong as possible, so Dahlen has a good setup guy for one. 

Our Goaltending is a mess atm.  Nielsson coming back will be like a finger in a dam.  Hopefully he can maintain his season start. Markstom has proven that he isn’t any more than an NHL tandem guy.  

A healthy Demko may have already passed Markstrom if he was available.  Moving out a tender to bring in an AHL upgrade might be a solid move. 

Cull has a lot of work to do in NY state.  He looked decent as a coach last season. Wonder if that was mainly due to Demko?  

Edited by Phat Fingers

I have actually watched a few Utica games and I have been impressed, although you are right , he needs a bit more time. but goldy is no better and him and pouliet are hard to watch every game. I know that Pettersson and Dahlen played well together in the summer.  actually loved the way they played together.

Edited by bree2

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

When it comes Goldobin I always get a charge out how the comments that were trotted out for Virtanen never seem to apply to Goldobin. There's 10 months age difference between the two players. While Virtanen and now Juolevi, we're constantly remind are still so young and need time. With Goldobin it's a case of where's the closest bus so I  can throw him under it  :lol:

I agree but he really needs to limit his mistakes the rest of this year and tally a few more goals. One can definitely see the talent in him and he is competing but he needs to be more consistent and to be honest just lucky. He's been absolutely robbed a few times this year.

Back to Dahlen, he has 4 points in his last 5 games. He's getting used to a new rink size, pace and physicality. I dont get why people are bashing on him so much but if you actually listen to some of the experts like Button then you'll find out he still has a very high chance of becoming a top 6 winger alongside Pettersson.

Nearing the deadline we will most likely see some trades and thats where guys like Dahlen will get the chance to show what they can do in the NHL. Keep in mind many think the NHL is easier (in some ways) to play in for skilled guys like Dahlen.

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I agree but he really needs to limit his mistakes the rest of this year and tally a few more goals. One can definitely see the talent in him and he is competing but he needs to be more consistent and to be honest just lucky. He's been absolutely robbed a few times this year.

Back to Dahlen, he has 4 points in his last 5 games. He's getting used to a new rink size, pace and physicality. I dont get why people are bashing on him so much but if you actually listen to some of the experts like Button then you'll find out he still has a very high chance of becoming a top 6 winger alongside Pettersson.

Nearing the deadline we will most likely see some trades and thats where guys like Dahlen will get the chance to show what they can do in the NHL. Keep in mind many think the NHL is easier (in some ways) to play in for skilled guys like Dahlen.

The AHL has a lot more head hunters than the NHL 

2 hours ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Seems like he's got a really good attitude. Can't be easy watching your best buddy, who was drafted a year after you take off in the NHL without feeling a little down on yourself. Hopefully Dahlen keeps working and will be up sooner rather than later

Yeah I agree. Kids got a good head on his shoulders and has the right mindset. Some people have been saying that hes entitled and hates being in Utica so I hope this puts that ridiculous narrative to bed. Hes gonna be a good player for us sooner or later.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ohmy said:

Yeah I agree. Kids got a good head on his shoulders and has the right mindset. Some people have been saying that hes entitled and hates being in Utica so I hope this puts that ridiculous narrative to bed. Hes gonna be a good player for us sooner or later.

Who makes up this nonsense?? Every interview or article I’ve heard or seen on him, he’s had a positive outlook and is working hard to improve every game. He admits he’s not ready to play in the NHL and is improving in all areas. It’s not easy to transition to pro over in NA compared to Europe. I imagine it hasn’t been easy for him, but he’s taking it in stride.

Thinking the media is probably to blame for those stupid rumours 

• Upvote 3

On 11/21/2018 at 7:32 AM, WonderTwinPowers said:

Seems like he's got a really good attitude. Can't be easy watching your best buddy, who was drafted a year after you take off in the NHL without feeling a little down on yourself. Hopefully Dahlen keeps working and will be up sooner rather than later

Once again, JB finds a kid who understands his game and what he needs to improve on to get to the NHL. The most important thing is he's willing to put the work in to get there and isn't going to rush it. 

Dahlen is going to make it. His skills are too high end not to. Working on his complete game is only going to make him better and wiser when he does get his shot.

I am loving the quality of prospects JB's been able to gather. He knows the key to long term success in the NHL is system depth and he has this team's future looking great. I honestly believe it's only a matter of time before we see this generation of Canucks hoisting a cup.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Who makes up this nonsense??

My guess - the same morons who said that Dahlen, Gajo, Lind, Lockwood and Jasek would all be lighting up the NHL and/or delivering the Calder Cup to Utica on a platter this season lol! 

Don't get me wrong, these kids all have great potential - some people don't understand (not saying you) that potential needs time to develop however and that is exactly what the AHL is for. 

Further to that, some people don't realize that some potential is, sadly, never fulfilled. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

My guess - the same morons who said that Dahlen, Gajo, Lind, Lockwood and Jasek would all be lighting up the NHL and/or delivering the Calder Cup to Utica on a platter this season lol! 

Don't get me wrong, these kids all have great potential - some people don't understand (not saying you) that potential needs time to develop however and that is exactly what the AHL is for. 

Further to that, some people don't realize that some potential is, sadly, never fulfilled. 

I still have hopes for a calder run. That team should eventually have Demko, Lind, Gaudette, Gaunce, Archibald and maybe Hughes at the end of the season. That would be a HUGE addition to the team and would give them a great shot at making a serious run. They aren't that far away right now, a 5 game win streak.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Upvote 1