The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

13 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Wasn't Erik Karlsson pretty highly touted before the draft?

Karlsson is a franchise defenceman, which OTT lucked out on (or did), but it wasn't like Karlsson was a diamond in the rough.

Don't know.

Central scouting had him as 5th European skater just ahead of Josi who went in the 2nd round. Just looking at some mock drafts of that time - he was projected to go late in the 1st.  Sbisa, DelZotto were ranked ahead of him as per above.

There was a documentary from a few years ago on him being drafted.  The draft was in Ottawa and they had moved up to 15th overall so fans were even more impatient for the pick (*). They announced his name and the crowd was stunned and wondering who he was.  He was undersized and there were questions on his ability to defend.

(*) The pick was Nashville's which is kind of ironic in hindsight given their success at finding Ds - they moved back to 18th overall for a 3rd round pick in 2009.  They picked goalie Chet Pickard with 18th overall - he never played in the NHL.   The 3rd round pick the following year became Taylor Beck who played a season for them and is no longer in the league - he didn't reach a 100 NHL games.

• Upvote 1

Karlsson was a giant question mark in his draft year. He was extremely highly touted but there were massive questions about his commitment to defence. He was the quintessential boom-or-bust prospect. He’s one of the few that panned out though.

4 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Karlsson was a giant question mark in his draft year. He was extremely highly touted but there were massive questions about his commitment to defence. He was the quintessential boom-or-bust prospect. He’s one of the few that panned out though.

Alot like Merkley last year without the attitude problems.

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dahlen is developing a stronger body, and getting used to the speed of the smaller ice game.  Is he up before the TDL?

Yes...but due too the TDL...as in we trade ...say Shaller and Granlund and bring up Dahlen and MacEwen...within a few weeks they will be more valuable than the 2 they replaced.

Maybe we can get Erikkson going again...playing with EP maybe... and then find some team who needs to get to the salary floor for next year...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Yes...but due too the TDL...as in we trade ...say Shaller and Granlund and bring up Dahlen and MacEwen...within a few weeks they will be more valuable than the 2 they replaced.

Maybe we can get Erikkson going again...playing with EP maybe... and then find some team who needs to get to the salary floor for next year...

I’d love for us to (somehow) dump Loui.  Salary floor bottom dwelling US suck the league dry markets don’t want to pay any salary.  I think Loui’s contract still pays him pretty good money, doesn’t it?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’d love for us to (somehow) dump Loui.  Salary floor bottom dwelling US suck the league dry markets don’t want to pay any salary.  I think Loui’s contract still pays him pretty good money, doesn’t it?  

Without looking....generally I am too lazy to look things up....I do remember that he has a declining salary and so next year and beyond should go down...maybe under $4M next year and only $2-3 M the next 2.

So cheapish salary but a $6M cap hit for those sucky US teams that can't make it to the floor....

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Watched Utica for the first time last night. Strange game from Springfield. Dahlen looked great, McEneny was impressive and I thought Jasek and even Palmu looked great !

Re an earlier comment on Erik Karlsson's draft expectations ( did Ottawa 'reach' to pick him ? ), here's the 'MyDraft' rankings from 2008 http://www.mynhldraft.com/2008-NHL-Mock-Draft/

I read the Mock Draft, wow a lot of busts that year were ranked very high.

Trent Cull on Jonathan Dahlen:

"Dahlen had a decent start and he went quiet for a bit. I've been doing this for a while and you can see these lulls. Start of season to X-Mas is where you see young players and how they've developed, where they're going. Jonathan is getting hot and doing a good job in team play."

On 12/9/2018 at 4:17 AM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I believe he is a point per game pace the last 7 or 8 games or so?  he is trending upwards.  Juolevi haters take notice please.

2 goals in his first 20 games, 3 goals the last 2 games. 

OJ was ripping it up, not sure why anyone would be negative on OJ

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Whats funny is, there is a defenseman, who also didn't make it to the NHL till his D+ 4th year, had a pretty bad +/- in his first pro year in the AHL (finishing with 0.33 PPG and -8). In his first NHL season, he had the 'awesome'  +/- of -11 and only 21 points in 81 games, at the age of 23. 
That chap, went on to win 3 Stanley Cups, one Norris Trophy and while he is in decline now, is still playing in the NHL at a decent level. His name ? Duncan Keith. 

What stan....no "paucity of data" quotes here that Dahlen will be no good like you say about Virtanen??  Come on.

• Upvote 1