The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

15 hours ago, NHL'er said:

Agreed with your both parts of your post. I think UticaHockey makes some great informative posts but sometimes he acts like he has a monopoly over all things AHL which is a shame because he’d be quite popular if he wasn’t so condescending! 

If you were a resident Canuck fan on a Carolina Hurricanes forum, you might feel like you're more informed about the Canucks. Of course that doesn't make you the know-all of all things Canucks either, but your opinion is likely more well informed than discussing with the Carolina fans that may not have the same access that you do.

• 3 weeks later...

...and some of us thought he would actually make the Canucks this year. I'm guilty of this, and also assuming he would instantly take a Top 6 spot and create magic with Pettersson.  (because they have some chemistry from their Sweden days)

I hope he just needs the extra development time.

Dahlen looks like he has had the spunk/spontaneity coached out of him....just what Green DIDN'T do to EP....he is not making dynamic moves or plays like he used too and while he is on the first PP ...he looks to be under utilized on it.

As soon as he learns how to deal with the way Cull seems to want him to play...I think he will break out.

It's another case (like Quinn) of having no-one who can think the game like him to play with....expect a quantum leap when he does get called up to the Canucks.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Dahlen looks like he has had the spunk/spontaneity coached out of him....just what Green DIDN'T do to EP....he is not making dynamic moves or plays like he used too and while he is on the first PP ...he looks to be under utilized on it.

As soon as he learns how to deal with the way Cull seems to want him to play...I think he will break out.

It's another case (like Quinn) of having no-one who can think the game like him to play with....expect a quantum leap when he does get called up to the Canucks.

like he used to?  You mean in the second tier league in Sweden that is around the level of major junior in NA?  Of course he can't do that in one of the best pro leagues in the world, nor will he likely be able to do it in the NHL.  Learn to be consistent, then be creative.

21 hours ago, stawns said:

like he used to?  You mean in the second tier league in Sweden that is around the level of major junior in NA?  Of course he can't do that in one of the best pro leagues in the world, nor will he likely be able to do it in the NHL.  Learn to be consistent, then be creative.

He was doing it at training camp against NHL players as well, making moves and anticpating passes by getting on his horse before they are even sent ...as well as making dekes in front of the net ...and scoring on those deke's.

It looks to me like he is getting mentally beat down...I hope I am wrong.

20 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

He was doing it at training camp against NHL players as well, making moves and anticpating passes by getting on his horse before they are even sent ...as well as making dekes in front of the net ...and scoring on those deke's.

It looks to me like he is getting mentally beat down...I hope I am wrong.

He played two pre-season games and didn't get a point in either one.   He was at the prospects' games but those are not established NHLers.  

• Upvote 1

It's his first year in NA so hopefully there have been some improvements in his game since the start of the year.

I am all for drafting or signing FA European players if thats the route we go. I know Dahlen was traded for...But, to me the ice surface is way different, all players say it is, the IIHF wants to play on NHL sized ice surfaces in the future. Bringing over any Canuck players under contract to NA the sooner the better imo. Adapting to a smaller ice surface can't be easy and even the A is a fast league and of course like any league you need to keep your head up.

I was ok that Palmu went back to Finland, would have maybe liked to see him and Gadj go to the ECHL to get more ice. But as a Euro you have that card in your back pocket to go home, probably make more $, especially compared to ECHL $

Unless we get riddled with injuries or trade away a couple F by the deadline I don't see Dahlen being called up. It is probably better for him to play the full season in the A, train like no tomorrow in the summer and come back to NA early to get extra practice in before camp.

I didn't expect Dahlen to light it up, would it have been nice of course but not everyone can do that. Next season to me is a big year for Dahlen, get some pre season games and potentially be on the NHL roster or what I think is more likely is go back to Utica and play hard to earn a in season call up

• Cheers 1

The top 10 point-getters in the AHL are:

- Daniel Carr (Age 27)

- Brandon Pirri (Age 27)

- Carter Verhaeghe (Age 23)

- Chris Terry (Age 29)

- Chris Mueller (Age 32)

- Andrew Poturalski (Age 24)

- Peter Holland (Age 27)

- Cory Conacher (Age 29)

- Brooks Macek (Age 26)

- Tory Terry (Age 21)

Its not like it is all a bunch of young guns lighting up the AHL. It isn't an easy league. Dahlen is barely 21 years old and playing on a very average weak Utica team. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm beginning to wonder if Dahlen will become a top 6 NHL player. A year older than Pettersson, Dahlen is still trying to find success on NA ice. He's nowhere near ready for the big leagues. Maybe in 2020/21?  

9 goals (20 points) in 38 games (and a -11) in the AHL

To put that into perspective, Gaunce has 23 points in 26 games (and a +5)

Sure Gaunce is 3 years older and it's taken him time to produce a bit, but this is Gaunce. Dahlen should be cruising by this guy on the depth chart and I'm not so sure he is.

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Dahlen will become a top 6 NHL player. A year older than Pettersson, Dahlen is still trying to find success on NA ice. He's nowhere near ready for the big leagues. Maybe in 2020/21?  

Sure Gaunce is 3 years older and it's taken him time to produce a bit, but this is Gaunce. Dahlen should be cruising by this guy on the depth chart and I'm not so sure he is.

Dahlen is still physically a boy.  He’s got lots of growing left to do.  

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Patience man. He's showing glimmers, he just needs to put it together on a consistent basis. Some kids take longer to develop.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Patience man. He's showing glimmers, he just needs to put it together on a consistent basis. Some kids take longer to develop.

Yeah, I know. He's still only 21 and coming from Europe, maybe it's taking him more time than others. I'm going to temper my expectations though, I remember being excited about Anton Rodin and Philip Larsen. I hope he takes strides this off season, would love to see him become a Canuck one day.  

45 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, I know. He's still only 21 and coming from Europe, maybe it's taking him more time than others. I'm going to temper my expectations though, I remember being excited about Anton Rodin and Philip Larsen. I hope he takes strides this off season, would love to see him become a Canuck one day.  

A telling point will be how he trains this summer and what the experience of this season has in his prep. Same for Lynn and Gadjovich.