The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

3 goals in 4 games for San Jose. When we acquired him for Burrows I praised Benning for making one of his best moves as a GM. This guy absolutely dominated in Sweden and was close friends with EP. When I watched him down in Utica he was the most noticeable forward on the ice in terms of skill (sometimes pure skill doesn't translate into points the same in the AHL, the game is a bit different)

That was an interesting season. We got hit with a tonne of injuries on left wing. Baer missed 2/3 of the season. Leivo was gone for about 2/5th. A bunch of random guys got called up but the biggest mistake in my mind was not giving Dahlen a chance. 

At the time EP was struggling to find chemistry with his rotating cast of wingers (he played quite a bit with Goldobin that year). We were near the trade deadline and well out of a playoff spot and Benning trades Philip Holm (who was having an outstanding season in Utica) for Brendan Leipsic instead of giving Dahlen a shot to see how he would fair in the NHL alongside Petterson. We also acquired Pearson but that trade made sense. 

It seems like a very low risk, high reward idea but who am I to question the professionals. The good news is Linus Karlsson has trended very well since the trade. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

3 goals in 4 games for San Jose. When we acquired him for Burrows I praised Benning for making one of his best moves as a GM. This guy absolutely dominated in Sweden and was close friends with EP. When I watched him down in Utica he was the most noticeable forward on the ice in terms of skill (sometimes pure skill doesn't translate into points the same in the AHL, the game is a bit different)

That was an interesting season. We got hit with a tonne of injuries on left wing. Baer missed 2/3 of the season. Leivo was gone for about 2/5th. A bunch of random guys got called up but the biggest mistake in my mind was not giving Dahlen a chance. 

At the time EP was struggling to find chemistry with his rotating cast of wingers (he played quite a bit with Goldobin that year). We were near the trade deadline and well out of a playoff spot and Benning trades Philip Holm (who was having an outstanding season in Utica) for Brendan Leipsic instead of giving Dahlen a shot to see how he would fair in the NHL alongside Petterson. We also acquired Pearson but that trade made sense. 

It seems like a very low risk, high reward idea but who am I to question the professionals. The good news is Linus Karlsson has trended very well since the trade. 

Sure, Sweden's second league, the Allsvenskan

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

People don’t really think Dahlen is the answer do they?

A small non physical forward who gets soft points?

Let him rip it up for the rebuilding sharks. He’s not a player we need.

Of course they do.  If we hadn't traded Stojanov we'd have had 3 cups of course

In all honesty though, watching any of our ex players do well is kinda double edged.  If we had him on team right now he'd at the very least with that short production be a viable and tasty trade chip but that ship sailed long ago

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Of course they do.  If we hadn't traded Stojanov we'd have had 3 cups of course

In all honesty though, watching any of our ex players do well is kinda double edged.  If we had him on team right now he'd at the very least with that short production be a viable and tasty trade chip but that ship sailed long ago

Doesn't matter, we would have lost him on waivers anyways. ;) 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Even if Dahlen scores 25 goals with the Sharks this year, I'm not convinced he would've done that if we had kept him. He's obviously improved and likely also matured over the past couple years in Sweden. Good for him, but I don't feel like we made any sort of foolish decision to get rid of him.

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2021 at 12:43 AM, Timråfan said:

Good for him for playing well to start the season, but this is kind of a weird article. It feels like a hit piece on Utica. Why bring up that Tryamkin refused to go down for a conditioning stint? That was a not wanting to go to the AHL thing, not a Utica specific thing (an organization which he had almost no knowledge of).

Even for Dahlen, the article seems to be implying that his non-superstar level stats were due to Utica, but after he was traded to San Jose that season he still didn't get called up to the NHL and his AHL stats didn't get any better.

He clearly needed more development time and was able to get that back in Sweden to where he now looks ready. I just don't understand how this is a blame Utica thing.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Good for him for playing well to start the season, but this is kind of a weird article. It feels like a hit piece on Utica. Why bring up that Tryamkin refused to go down for a conditioning stint? That was a not wanting to go to the AHL thing, not a Utica specific thing (an organization which he had almost no knowledge of).

Even for Dahlen, the article seems to be implying that his non-superstar level stats were due to Utica, but after he was traded to San Jose that season he still didn't get called up to the NHL and his AHL stats didn't get any better.

He clearly needed more development time and was able to get that back in Sweden to where he now looks ready. I just don't understand how this is a blame Utica thing.

He was concussed.  He only played 7 games in the AHL for the Sharks before his 2nd concussion of the season.  He had one in Utica where the player got suspended.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

If it were a real hit on Utica they would have mentioned Palmu also wich has more similarities to Dahlen.

Then, the Sharks let him go back to Timrå and play instead of continue in AHL.

That is something that really boost a player and give hope for the future. 
Benning didn’t get that part of psychology.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

He was concussed.  He only played 7 games in the AHL for the Sharks before his 2nd concussion of the season.  He had one in Utica where the player got suspended.

I forgot about the concussions. But even more so, how can that be blamed on the Utica organization?

We already have Höglander who is 10x better.  No need for a smallish non physical winger in our top 6.  Our top 6 is complete and our small wingers actually play physical (Höglander, Garland).

He would have been a nice trade chip but we got a decent prospect for him so it didn't turn out too badly.

• 4 months later...
31 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Dahlen has slowed down considerably. The glow of his rookie campaign seems to have ended.

No points and minus 3 in his last 5 games. He logged under 9 mins in last game.

He started on their 1st line and has slipped down to just 9 mins a game.  His scoring has dried since Jan. 

The tough thing for Dahlen, is that he is one of those guys that can only play in the top 6.  Just doesn't have the grit, size, defensive skills or desire to play 3/4th lines.

• Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Dahlen has slowed down considerably. The glow of his rookie campaign seems to have ended.

No points and minus 3 in his last 5 games. He logged under 9 mins in last game.

Jason King 2.0 maybe. Easy to score lots of points with good linemates, but it's hard to learn to keep doing so without them. So guys figure it out, but some will always depend on their linemates.

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

He started on their 1st line and has slipped down to just 9 mins a game.  His scoring has dried since Jan. 

The tough thing for Dahlen, is that he is one of those guys that can only play in the top 6.  Just doesn't have the grit, size, defensive skills or desire to play 3/4th lines.

Maybe some seasoning in the AHL would have done him some good.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Back to Europe for Dahlen.