The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

Marner is around the same size as well, 5'11 170 and he does everything for his team.

But can he do a pull up?

(random side note, apparently Calgary was or is rumoured to be shopping 19 year old Same Bennett just for kicks)

With the size of players we have in our system now averaging 6 foot 1/2 inch and 190 pounds give or take as 18/19 year olds I am more than okay enjoying someone who people will consider under sized at 5 foot 11 and 180 pounds.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Way to be quick on the draw, mate.

Looks to be pretty good. I hope to see him in the AHL or the SHL soon. Might be our Sutter replacement one day perhaps?

I would assume Sven replacement. He's nothing like sutter unless u are talking about playing centre a bit. I would bet he will play wing mostly , and in a more Sven like role. 

Edited by cuporbust

2 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

He's a centre.

No he isnt. I already edited me post. He plays both. Other then that , he has nothing in common with sutter. Hes not a defensively minded player. Hes like Sven ( when Sven is going to the net)  

Edited by cuporbust

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

technically, he's AHL eligible now, unless his CHL rights are owned by someone.

You're correct, I didn't realize he wasn't drafted out of the CHL. Even better, I wonder if he's interested in signing at the end of his season and coming right over? He would definitely be an offensive shot in the arm for the Comets.

I recall reading his team was in a playoff round fighting for a promotion from Tier 2 to Tier 1 Swedish League Hockey. Anyone know where his team Timra is at right now?

Update: after some googling it looks like the top two teams, Mora and Karlskoga are going head to head. I guess that means Dahlen's season is finished? He finished #6 for points in the league though, one point from a tie for 4th.

Edited by Chronic.Canucks.Fan
Added info

Just now, cuporbust said:

No he isnt. I already edited me post. He plays both. Other then that , he has nothing in common with sutter. 

Seems to me that according to Eliteprospects, CapFriendly, and Wikipedia he plays both LW and C. HockeyDB and NHL.com have him as a C only. The Timra website, however, has him as LW. I do hope he'll play wing, as we have more need there.

That said, I see Baertschi as part of our long-term plans, so I don't see him being a replacement.

Just now, ajhockey said:

Seems to me that according to Eliteprospects, CapFriendly, and Wikipedia he plays both LW and C. HockeyDB and NHL.com have him as a C only. The Timra website, however, has him as LW. I do hope he'll play wing, as we have more need there.

That said, I see Baertschi as part of our long-term plans, so I don't see him being a replacement.

Ya , sorry wasnt trying to sound like a know it all , just seemed like from what farraro was saying , hes kinda a pure skill guy. Hard working , but not like hos dad that was a beast along the boards. Thats true , Sven probably wont move, just see him as more of that type of player 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

I'm ecstatic to having this kid over here in our organization. he has tons of promise and potential. he is much better than Nylander and I am going to guarantee you he is. Nylander is buried in Leafs bottom 6 while we have this kid who will go head to head against Nylander one day in the near future. Dahlen has the potential to be the heir to the Sedins while playing a smart, 2 way game and having that goal scoring ability. he also looks like a solid passer also which rounds out his overall game and is responsible defensively. can't wait to watch this kid develop next season in Utica. absolutely elated

Nylander is a really good player. Nylander is maybe in the leafs bottom 6 for now but he will transition into the top 6 there in no time. Same thing we did with Horvat you can't rush these kids not everyone is cut from the same cloth as a Mathews or McDavid. 

However, I love the optimism and I too wish that Dahlen exceeds all of our expectations. (Same goes for all of our prospects hahah)

• Upvote 3

I definitely think this was a good trade, but I'm not expecting anything more than a Granlund level player out of Dahlen. It would be about the same value, around a 2nd. That's still a good pickup, but I'm seeing someone similar to Granlund, although if he proves to be better than that I won't be complaining. 

2 hours ago, Nooks said:

Really interested to know if Burrows new contract is an "extension" or new contract.  If its an extension and he has a NTC he must be protected.

It doesn't work like that, and no, NTCs don't need to be protected, only NMCs. It's a new deal, but he's just signed before his old deal ran out.

But excited to get such a good return, more than I expected for Burrows. If his size and speed don't become a roadblock we could have a player on our hands.

Edited by elvis15

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Stop fixating on size everyone.

McDavid is 6 foot 1 190 pounds

Crosby is 5 foot 11 and was drafted at 172 pounds.

H Sedin is 6 foot 2 and about 190 pounds, was drafted at 169 pounds.

He'll put on 15-20 pounds over the next decade of lean muscle and be a solid forward if we develop him properly

I think it just has to do with people having to complain/worry about everything. People don't realize, if a prospect didn't have flaws, he wouldn't be a prospect. He'd be a top 3 pick and go straight to the NHL.

Either they're too small, or they don't score enough, or they're not super fast, or they don't hit like a truck blah blah blah. Different prospects have different strengths but unless it's a one hundred percent home run with no flaws and Horvat like character, oh no, let's panic! This guy seems to be small, but a scorer. He's also not a big time hitter either, oh no...

To be fair it seems like people are fairly getting on board with this guy. (mostly because we actually got a good return for Burrows who was just going to go for free) But still, I agree. It's a pet peave of mine when people just focus in on one problem with a prospect when by definition, every prospect has flaws. I like this kid though. Good scorer prospect is exactly what we needed.

Edited by Mr.53
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ajhockey said:

I don't think he's specifically a replacement for anyone, just another talented option at either position. The more we have, the more of a chance there is to have one develop into a legitimate nhler and in the event he does, then we consider who he replaces.

I've found that there are too many variables on NHL rosters to slot prospects in a few years down the line. That is, unless they are blue chip prospects that are all but guaranteed to meet their potential. 

8 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I definitely think this was a good trade, but I'm not expecting anything more than a Granlund level player out of Dahlen. It would be about the same value, around a 2nd. That's still a good pickup, but I'm seeing someone similar to Granlund, although if he proves to be better than that I won't be complaining. 

There's actually quite a distinctive difference between Granlund and Dahlen. 

Granlund's your typical two-way forward that excels in both sides of the rink. Dahlen however, is a talented playmaker who drives the play and creates scoring chances. According to scouting reports, he's got some defensive deficiencies which many tend to have playing overseas due to all sorts of combinations starting with the bigger ice and the opposing team having lots of space to work with, etc. 

It's quite hard to give praise without seeming like a huge homer, but Dahlen's got top 10 level talent, scouts suggest that too. There's a reason however why he was taken in the 2nd round. He's got lots of work to do in the defensive side of things, but for us, that's a good thing. We need more prospects that are purely offensive and can just focus on putting up points.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Odd. said:

There's actually quite a distinctive difference between Granlund and Dahlen. 

Granlund's your typical two-way forward that excels in both sides of the rink. Dahlen however, is a talented playmaker who drives the play and creates scoring chances. According to scouting reports, he's got some defensive deficiencies which many tend to have playing overseas due to all sorts of combinations starting with the bigger ice and the opposing team having lots of space to work with, etc. 

It's quite hard to give praise without seeming like a huge homer, but Dahlen's got top 10 level talent, scouts suggest that too. There's a reason however why he was taken in the 2nd round. He's got lots of work to do in the defensive side of things, but for us, that's a good thing. We need more prospects that are purely offensive and can just focus on putting up points.

I should clarify: I meant he could be similar to Granlund in terms of potential impact on the team. Dahlen definitely plays a more offensive game compared to Granlund's 2 way game. I was talking about how I think Dahlin could be a good middle 6 guy like Granlund. It was my fault, I should have specified. My apologies.

You bring up some good points on Dahlen though. For me, the biggest thing is his skating. He doesn't have to be elite, but I think he should definitely work on it extensively over the next 1-2 years. He seems to have good instincts on the attack, but I think he could take advantage of more if his skating improves.

I'm curious, how do you see our prospect pool looking? I'm thinking something along the lines of:

_______ - _______ - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - _______

Dahlen - Gaudette - Virtanen

Granlund - Gaunce - Lockwood

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Hutton - Tanev (only vet)

Tryamkin - Stetcher

Brisebois

Demko

Markstrom

That looks like some solid depth, especially if we can find a better center than Horvat. If not, then we deploy him as our 1C.

• Upvote 1

Id prefer this guy at LW just like Nylander. I wanna draft a centreman this year in either Patrick hischier vilardi or Mittelstadt. He's definitely top 6 potential 

IMO we still need that 1st line centre and LW 

LW C Boeser 

Dahlen Horvat virtanen 

Baertschi gaudette Granlund 

Edited by orcasgonewild

23 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I should clarify: I meant he could be similar to Granlund in terms of potential impact on the team. Dahlen definitely plays a more offensive game compared to Granlund's 2 way game. I was talking about how I think Dahlin could be a good middle 6 guy like Granlund. It was my fault, I should have specified. My apologies.

You bring up some good points on Dahlen though. For me, the biggest thing is his skating. He doesn't have to be elite, but I think he should definitely work on it extensively over the next 1-2 years. He seems to have good instincts on the attack, but I think he could take advantage of more if his skating improves.

I'm curious, how do you see our prospect pool looking? I'm thinking something along the lines of:

_______ - _______ - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - _______

Dahlen - Gaudette - Virtanen

Granlund - Gaunce - Lockwood

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Hutton - Tanev (only vet)

Tryamkin - Stetcher

Brisebois

Demko

Markstrom

That looks like some solid depth, especially if we can find a better center than Horvat. If not, then we deploy him as our 1C.

I honestly don't see Granlund, Gaunce, and Baertschi with us in the near future but that's just me.  I can see Horvat being a Bergeron type number 1 center but if we end up with Patrick/Hischier, I think it really makes things interesting. But we're missing a first line LW and a bonafide defenceman. And the only way we can achieve that is by drafting. There's also the coveted number one collegiate forward Aston-Reese who would be a great fit in the top 6 and accelerate the rebuild.

_____-Horvat-Boeser

Aston-Reese-_____-Lockwood

Dahlen-Sutter-Virtanen

Labate-Gaudette-Grenier

Would be nice to have a big center down the middle and a PWF beside a two-way forward and a sniper. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I honestly don't see Granlund, Gaunce, and Baertschi with us in the near future but that's just me.  I can see Horvat being a Bergeron type number 1 center but if we end up with Patrick/Hischier, I think it really makes things interesting. But we're missing a first line LW and a bonafide defenceman. And the only way we can achieve that is by drafting. There's also the coveted number one collegiate forward Aston-Reese who would be a great fit in the top 6 and accelerate the rebuild.

_____-Horvat-Boeser

Aston-Reese-_____-Lockwood

Dahlen-Sutter-Virtanen

Labate-Gaudette-Grenier

Would be nice to have a big center down the middle and a PWF beside a two-way forward and a sniper. 

Playing Horvat as our 1C definitely isn't terrible, but I would hope that we are able to land an offensive catalyst who can put up points ahead of Horvat. That would give us a 1-2 punch similar to the one we had in 2011 with Henrik and Kesler. I've maintained that he could be our 1C for a while, and I think your right on the potential Bergeron level impact (personally, I think his playstyle if more similar to a stronger, less agile Toews).

I think your also right in assuming that all of Granlund, Gaunce and Baertschi won't be here long term.

I haven't read up on Aston-Reese, but everyone seems to be going crazy for him. If we can land him then we are for sure better.

Personally, I think if we land a 1C like Patrick or Hischier, the need for a top line LW goes down a bit as the center will be the one driving that line. We could then just pick up a piece to compliment him and build with depth.

Who knows, maybe if we land that 1C Dahlen could be the one playing with him ::D