The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

16 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I honestly don't see Granlund, Gaunce, and Baertschi with us in the near future but that's just me.  I can see Horvat being a Bergeron type number 1 center but if we end up with Patrick/Hischier, I think it really makes things interesting. But we're missing a first line LW and a bonafide defenceman. And the only way we can achieve that is by drafting. There's also the coveted number one collegiate forward Aston-Reese who would be a great fit in the top 6 and accelerate the rebuild.

_____-Horvat-Boeser

Aston-Reese-_____-Lockwood

Dahlen-Sutter-Virtanen

Labate-Gaudette-Grenier

Would be nice to have a big center down the middle and a PWF beside a two-way forward and a sniper. 

Slow down on the Reece top 6 talk. I've watched a handful of gaudettes games and yeah Reece is good but he's also a senior playing with 2 pretty solid line mates. Reece plays an NHL style game and he's a free prospect, that's why he's such a hot commodity, mostly because he's free. 

Definitely with you on the gaunce grandlund baertchi being part of the future. I think grandlund sticks around but I could see gaunce and baertchi gone, not that soon but 3 4 years down the road I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were gone 

Edited by manroth19
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I honestly don't see Granlund, Gaunce, and Baertschi with us in the near future but that's just me.  I can see Horvat being a Bergeron type number 1 center but if we end up with Patrick/Hischier, I think it really makes things interesting. But we're missing a first line LW and a bonafide defenceman. And the only way we can achieve that is by drafting. There's also the coveted number one collegiate forward Aston-Reese who would be a great fit in the top 6 and accelerate the rebuild.

_____-Horvat-Boeser

Aston-Reese-_____-Lockwood

Dahlen-Sutter-Virtanen

Labate-Gaudette-Grenier

Would be nice to have a big center down the middle and a PWF beside a two-way forward and a sniper. 

Granlund is and will continue to be a top 6 forward with elite potential 

Okay, so just a bit of perspective before we slot him into the top line:

He's playing with Timrå IK in the HockeyAllsvenskan which is the Swedish second division (has failed to re-qualify to the first division since 2013). Furthermore, Timrå has produced only two NHL star caliber players that I can see (Zetterberg and Mats Naslund). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Okay, so just a bit of perspective before we slot him into the top line:

He's playing with Timrå IK in the HockeyAllsvenskan which is the Swedish second division (has failed to re-qualify to the first division since 2013). Furthermore, Timrå has produced only two NHL star caliber players that I can see (Zetterberg and Mats Naslund). 

Okay, if this guy is as good as either Zetterberg or Naslund we friggin win, right?  

51 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

Slow down on the Reece top 6 talk. I've watched a handful of gaudettes games and yeah Reece is good but he's also a senior playing with 2 pretty solid line mates. Reece plays an NHL style game and he's a free prospect, that's why he's such a hot commodity, mostly because he's free. 

Definitely with you on the gaunce grandlund baertchi being part of the future. I think grandlund sticks around but I could see gaunce and baertchi gone, not that soon but 3 4 years down the road I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were gone 

You could also argue that he makes his linemates Gaudette and Sikura better. Just look at their point totals from last year and compare them to this year. He really is a difference maker in most of their games. Again, all I'm doing is reiterating what actual scouts and professionals say. And what they are saying is pretty darn good.

As well, take a look at NYR, Washington, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, etc. Their top 9 is interchangeable with everyone other than Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Toews moved around depending on different circumstances.  NYR and Minnesota would be a better example of players in the top 9 basically moved around and yet all have consistent chemistry with one another. 

Edited by Odd.

Here's the translation of his interview with the Swedish media:

Jonathan Dahlen picked up the phone after the game against Västervik.

And got a shock. Hundreds of new followers welcomed him to the Vancouver Canucks - who swapped him of Ottawa Senators .

- It's insane. I really had no idea, he says. 

Jonathan Dahlen has made great success in Timra, and is predicted to be hot quarry SHL clubs for next season.

The Ottawa Senators have also been seen as a potential new club address - until late Monday evening.

When it became clear that the Senators, who drafted 19-year-old last summer, traded Dahlen for Vancouver's alternate captain Alexandre Burrows, Dahlen could not believe his eyes when he picked up the phone after losing the match against Västervik.

- I got a shock and still has not really sunk in.I read it just now. I had received hundreds of new followers on Twitter and a lot of notices where people welcomed me to the Vancouver Canucks. It is totally sick, says Jonathan Dahlen. 

Dreaming of games with Sedins

The forward has 24 goals for the Hockey Allsvenskan season and must now change about in their dreams.

Instead of gambling with Erik Karlsson in the Canadian capital of Ottawa can now be gambling with the brothers Daniel and Henrik Sedin at the other end of the country.

- It would be crazy to play with them. I guess that's what I'm going to dream about in the future.

Vancouver traded their assistant captain to pick up you?

- Yes, what can I say ... it feels so clear and fun, they seem to believe in me in Vancouver, says Jonathan Dahlen.

Edited by PuckFather
typo
  • Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Odd. said:

You could also argue that he makes his linemates Gaudette and Sikura better. Just look at their point totals from last year and compare them to this year. He really is a difference maker in most of their games. Again, all I'm doing is reiterating what actual scouts and professionals say. And what they are saying is pretty darn good.

As well, take a look at NYR, Washington, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, etc. Their top 9 is interchangeable with everyone other than Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Toews moved around depending on different circumstances.  NYR and Minnesota would be a better example of players in the top 9 basically moved around and yet all have consistent chemistry with one another. 

He doesn't play on the same line as Sikura and Gaudette. They play together but Aston Reese plays on a different line, 5v5 anyhow

• Upvote 1

A lot of people give Craig Button unwarranted criticism because some of the time his analysis of our overrated prospects from the really thin days stung a lot of people. In my opinion he is right up there the Bobby Mackenzie, maybe even better in his Jr player evaluation. He seems to be more emotionally invested and passionate. This interview is exactly why I have always valued his opinion. It's full of passion and honesty. 

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/button-dahlen-knows-how-to-score-and-will-do-it-in-nhl-1.682826

26 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I wonder if this is foreshadowing that JB is looking to draft Pettersson unless of course by some miracle we draft top 5. Would be pretty neat to get those 2 they seem to have great chem. 

I honestly would not like a line with that size in the NHL as our go to line. They will just get thrown around out there. We need skill yes, but we cannot forgo size and truculence if we want to win in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

I honestly would not like a line with that size in the NHL as our go to line. They will just get thrown around out there. We need skill yes, but we cannot forgo size and truculence if we want to win in the playoffs. 

Pettersson is 6'2" their kids they fill out. Dahlen will likely be 190 and Petterson 200lbs by the time they are 23

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=266336

161lbs and 6'2"  he's a ball park frank plump when you cook em, and he is tearing it up playing on Dahlen's line. Playing against men.

One hit from a Ferland type and he would be done in the pros. There is no way he gets to 200 lbs, he just doesn't have the frame for it, and I don't seem him leading us to a Stanley Cup. Maybe as part of an overall team, but definitely not leading the way and we need to be drafting guys that can be leading us in these next few years. I would draft a guy like Pettersson in like 3-4 years time, but not now. I know there are several people out that are also wanting to draft this guy, but he is not on my board. 

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

I wasn't trying to hate on the guy. All I was saying is don't just pencil him into the top 6. All I was trying to say is he's a free asset and that's the biggest reason he has so much buzz. That powerplay is deadly and put up a ton of points. Like I said not knocking the guy, he could for sure be an nhler. Great shot, strong on the puck, good on the boards. Sikura is the best player on northeastern if you ask me.