Sign in to follow this  
Mathew Barzal

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=266336

161lbs and 6'2"  he's a ball park frank plump when you cook em, and he is tearing it up playing on Dahlen's line. Playing against men.

One hit from a Ferland type and he would be done in the pros. There is no way he gets to 200 lbs, he just doesn't have the frame for it, and I don't seem him leading us to a Stanley Cup. Maybe as part of an overall team, but definitely not leading the way and we need to be drafting guys that can be leading us in these next few years. I would draft a guy like Pettersson in like 3-4 years time, but not now. I know there are several people out that are also wanting to draft this guy, but he is not on my board. 

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

You could also argue that he makes his linemates Gaudette and Sikura better. Just look at their point totals from last year and compare them to this year. He really is a difference maker in most of their games. Again, all I'm doing is reiterating what actual scouts and professionals say. And what they are saying is pretty darn good.

As well, take a look at NYR, Washington, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, etc. Their top 9 is interchangeable with everyone other than Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Toews moved around depending on different circumstances.  NYR and Minnesota would be a better example of players in the top 9 basically moved around and yet all have consistent chemistry with one another. 

I wasn't trying to hate on the guy. All I was saying is don't just pencil him into the top 6. All I was trying to say is he's a free asset and that's the biggest reason he has so much buzz. That powerplay is deadly and put up a ton of points. Like I said not knocking the guy, he could for sure be an nhler. Great shot, strong on the puck, good on the boards. Sikura is the best player on northeastern if you ask me. 

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

One hit from a Ferland type and he would be done in the pros. There is no way he gets to 200 lbs, he just doesn't have the frame for it, and I don't seem him leading us to a Stanley Cup. Maybe as part of an overall team, but definitely not leading the way and we need to be drafting guys that can be leading us in these next few years. I would draft a guy like Pettersson in like 3-4 years time, but not now. I know there are several people out that are also wanting to draft this guy, but he is not on my board. 

Right we should draft another Virtanen.

He wasn't on my radar either except for minor interest until we grabbed Dahlen. However I'm curious who this saviour you see us drafting in 2017 is. We are not drafting top 5 so ruling that out who do you see as leading us to a Stanley cup @ 6-15 in this draft?  

If Gradin and JB decide to grab him I would trust that they know more than I do about the kid. Gradin seems to be pretty on point when it comes to digging swede gems.

1 hour ago, PuckFather said:

Here's the translation of his interview with the Swedish media:

Jonathan Dahlen picked up the phone after the game against Västervik.

And got a shock. Hundreds of new followers welcomed him to the Vancouver Canucks - who swapped him of Ottawa Senators .

- It's insane. I really had no idea, he says. 

Jonathan Dahlen has made great success in Timra, and is predicted to be hot quarry SHL clubs for next season.

The Ottawa Senators have also been seen as a potential new club address - until late Monday evening.

When it became clear that the Senators, who drafted 19-year-old last summer, traded Dahlen for Vancouver's alternate captain Alexandre Burrows, Dahlen could not believe his eyes when he picked up the phone after losing the match against Västervik.

- I got a shock and still has not really sunk in.I read it just now. I had received hundreds of new followers on Twitter and a lot of notices where people welcomed me to the Vancouver Canucks. It is totally sick, says Jonathan Dahlen. 

Dreaming of games with Sedins

The forward has 24 goals for the Hockey Allsvenskan season and must now change about in their dreams.

Instead of gambling with Erik Karlsson in the Canadian capital of Ottawa can now be gambling with the brothers Daniel and Henrik Sedin at the other end of the country.

- It would be crazy to play with them. I guess that's what I'm going to dream about in the future.

Vancouver traded their assistant captain to pick up you?

- Yes, what can I say ... it feels so clear and fun, they seem to believe in me in Vancouver, says Jonathan Dahlen.

So sick he's such a sedin fan. Born in the same town as edler I think. Been watching a couple YouTube videos jb was right the van has a slick shot and is definitely not afraid to drive the puck to the net. 

28 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I honestly would not like a line with that size in the NHL as our go to line. They will just get thrown around out there. We need skill yes, but we cannot forgo size and truculence if we want to win in the playoffs. 

1 or 2 players does not mean you 'forgo size and truculence". Size is only part of the equation in the end. The Jets have had a lot of size the past few years. How well has that worked for them? How about Burke and his "size and truculent" Leafs that wasn't good until they finally got smaller players like Marner and skill like Matthews on the team?

While size helps, it would be extremely narrow-sighted to think it's the only thing we need. We wouldn't get anywhere without skill to go with that size.

Edited by The Lock

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Right we should draft another Virtanen.

He wasn't on my radar either except for minor interest until we grabbed Dahlen. However I'm curious who this saviour you see us drafting in 2017 is. We are not drafting top 5 so ruling that out who do you see as leading us to a Stanley cup @ 6-15 in this draft?  

If Gradin and JB decide to grab him I would trust that they know more than I do about the kid. Gradin seems to be pretty on point when it comes to digging swede gems.

If Virtanen puts it all together and reaches a now lowered ceiling, he will be a pivotal component to a Cup run. You do not know where we are drafting so to say that "we are not drafting top 5" is a little beyond what you can knowingly say at this moment. But we land 6-7 or so and Mittelstadt is still available, I take him. 

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

1 or 2 players does not mean you 'forgo size and truculence". Size is only part of the equation in the end. The Jets have had a lot of size the past few years. How well has that worked for them? How about Burke and his "size and truculent" Leafs that wasn't good until they finally got smaller players like Marner and skill like Matthews on the team?

While size helps, it would be extremely narrow-sighted to think it's the only thing we need. We wouldn't get anywhere without skill to go with that size.

I didn't say that we didn't need skill or we shouldn't acquire skill. I just don't want to use our high draft picks for another Swede on our team that will end up as a punching bag for rat boy. We need tougher leadership. I don't mind drafting players like Ehlers on Winnipeg because at least he has some grit and tenacity in his plays. I have had enough of Swedish leadership to hold me over for awhile. It's time to try something else out. 

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Upvote 1

Almost looks like a faster Burrows. Smart, reads the play well, forehand backhand deke. I love it!

9 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

If Virtanen puts it all together and reaches a now lowered ceiling, he will be a pivotal component to a Cup run. You do not know where we are drafting so to say that "we are not drafting top 5" is a little beyond what you can knowingly say at this moment. 

I didn't say that we didn't need skill or we shouldn't acquire skill. I just don't want to use our high draft picks for another Swede on our team that will end up as a punching bag for rat boy. We need tougher leadership. I don't mind drafting players like Ehlers on Winnipeg because at least he has some grit and tenacity in his plays. I have had enough of Swedish leadership to hold me over for awhile. It's time to try something else out. 

Without the leadership of those punching bags drafted by count Trucula himself we would have never been in the SCF at all. I don't see your point. 

I like Mittlestadt as well I certainly have him higher on my list than Petttersson. That may change though the more I watch Dahlen now.

Edited by hammertime

The kids edge work is amazing. Such an underrated skill. You watch the videos and his feet are always turning to his advantage to get around defenders. He'll be hard to get off the puck when he packs on some more muscle

• Upvote 1

Observations:

February 2017 – The Canucks acquired Dahlen from the Senators straight up for Alexandre Burrows, which definitely expedites Dahlen’s eventual NHL arrival. - Dobber

December 2016 - Dahlen will try and join future teammate Filip Ahl in competing for Team Sweden at the WJC in Montreal and Toronto later this month. Dahlen has been a big part of the Timra offense this season with 12 goals, a team high, and 20 points in 25 games. He's on pace to fly past his totals from last season as he's only thee goals and nine points shy of the 2015-16 totals with half the season to go. Brad Phillips

July 2016 – The feisty goal scorer played his draft year against men in the second best Swedish senior league and lead his team in scoring. A relentless forechecker that despite his smaller size aggressively pursues the puck and digs in the hard areas.  Dahlen owns a good wrist shot and has good hockey sense and vision.  Undrafted in the CHL import draft, Dahlen will return to Timra in Sweden again next season. Peter Harling

June 2016 – Continuing with the unofficial theme of the 2016 Draft, Ottawa selected Jonathan Dhalen, son of former first rounder Ulf, with their second pick. He was a big riser in the draft rankings thanks to an exceptional second half of the season, with suggestions that he may be a late first round selection. This past year was Dahlen’s second with the Timra organization and his first full campaign in the Allsvenskan. Skating in 51 regular season games, Dahlen scored 15 times and amassed 29 points, both highs for an offensively inept team. In five playoffs games he accounted for half of his team’s offense with six goals while adding one helper.

On the offensive side of the game, he’s equally adept at scoring and setting up teammate with aplomb possessing a solid set of mitts and a quick release. He’s a solid skater who does everything at a high rate of quickness. Dahlen will never be the biggest guy on the ice but that doesn’t deter him from exhibiting a high compete level and playing bigger than his size. He’s not afraid to drive to the net when carrying the puck and is a tenacious forechecker and is a solid defensive player. Coming back into the zone he keeps his head on a swivel.

Likely at least two to three years away from seriously challenging for a roster spot, Dhalen could be the next in the long list of impressive Swedes to suit of for the Senators. Brad Phillips

Fantasy Outlook: B

Second line playmaking winger who sees time on the powerplay. 60-point upside.

Sounds pretty neat to me!

I cannot wait until we have Dahlen - Horvat - Boeser on our top line in few seasons :D lol their play styles look like they would gel so well together!! :D DDDDDDD

Thank you ALEX BURROWS! <3 not only did you bring us great memories, community leadership, and a wonderful life story as a player.  You have also now brought us our next great sniper in Dahlen.!!  Dahlen! Dahlen! Dahlen!!!!!!!

thx burr buddy :D 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

The kids edge work is amazing. Such an underrated skill. You watch the videos and his feet are always turning to his advantage to get around defenders. He'll be hard to get off the puck when he packs on some more muscle

Yeah I agree. His highlights are nuts how he dances around the size and shifts his weight so effortlessly to get around people.

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

I honestly don't see Granlund, Gaunce, and Baertschi with us in the near future but that's just me.  I can see Horvat being a Bergeron type number 1 center but if we end up with Patrick/Hischier, I think it really makes things interesting. But we're missing a first line LW and a bonafide defenceman. And the only way we can achieve that is by drafting. There's also the coveted number one collegiate forward Aston-Reese who would be a great fit in the top 6 and accelerate the rebuild.

_____-Horvat-Boeser

Aston-Reese-_____-Lockwood

Dahlen-Sutter-Virtanen

Labate-Gaudette-Grenier

Would be nice to have a big center down the middle and a PWF beside a two-way forward and a sniper. 

That lineup could conceivably still fit Henrik and Daniel.

Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

Essentially a 2nd round pick who has only boosted his value since being drafted.

This is exactly what we need and Benning knows that. Low risk high reward trade. We get a 2nd rounder for Burrows which is much better than I thought we would. The big risk is whether or not he'll be able to play against men in North America, but by watching highlights it looks like he likes taking pucks straight to the net, similar to how Horvat does, but with more finesse and less power. Lots of skill. That's what this team needs now. We've got the two-way awareness from forwards. We've got a bit of size and grit (Horvat, Virtanen), but we need playmaking ability in our top-6.

Essentially makes the Nylander non-pick mute, because Dahlen has that elite skill. Now lets see if he can play with the big boys.

AHL next season all season as their top-6 center (may have to settle for 2nd line center), then get the occasional call up. We need him to play center, not wing too. Hopefully he'll get some NHL games in playing and learning under the Sedins because they'd be PERFECT mentors for him.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Essentially a 2nd round pick who has only boosted his value since being drafted.

This is exactly what we need and Benning knows that. Low risk high reward trade. We get a 2nd rounder for Burrows which is much better than I thought we would. The big risk is whether or not he'll be able to play against men in North America, but by watching highlights it looks like he likes taking pucks straight to the net, similar to how Horvat does, but with more finesse and less power. Lots of skill. That's what this team needs now. We've got the two-way awareness from forwards. We've got a bit of size and grit (Horvat, Virtanen), but we need playmaking ability in our top-6.

Essentially makes the Nylander non-pick mute, because Dahlen has that elite skill. Now lets see if he can play with the big boys.

AHL next season all season as their top-6 center (may have to settle for 2nd line center), then get the occasional call up. We need him to play center, not wing too. Hopefully he'll get some NHL games in playing and learning under the Sedins because they'd be PERFECT mentors for him.

i'm excited about Dahlen. he looks like he's going to be a beauty of a player. does he have good skill, or "elite" level skill, though? 

8 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wouldn't go that far. He still picked an underwhelming prospect 6th overall.

This does go a long ways in filling the glaring lack of skill we had in our system though.

• Upvote 2

He isn't Drouin.  But he is Jonathan Dahlen. :D  I'll take it baby :D

2 hours ago, PuckFather said:

Here's the translation of his interview with the Swedish media:

Jonathan Dahlen picked up the phone after the game against Västervik.

And got a shock. Hundreds of new followers welcomed him to the Vancouver Canucks - who swapped him of Ottawa Senators .

- It's insane. I really had no idea, he says. 

Jonathan Dahlen has made great success in Timra, and is predicted to be hot quarry SHL clubs for next season.

The Ottawa Senators have also been seen as a potential new club address - until late Monday evening.

When it became clear that the Senators, who drafted 19-year-old last summer, traded Dahlen for Vancouver's alternate captain Alexandre Burrows, Dahlen could not believe his eyes when he picked up the phone after losing the match against Västervik.

- I got a shock and still has not really sunk in.I read it just now. I had received hundreds of new followers on Twitter and a lot of notices where people welcomed me to the Vancouver Canucks. It is totally sick, says Jonathan Dahlen. 

Dreaming of games with Sedins

The forward has 24 goals for the Hockey Allsvenskan season and must now change about in their dreams.

Instead of gambling with Erik Karlsson in the Canadian capital of Ottawa can now be gambling with the brothers Daniel and Henrik Sedin at the other end of the country.

- It would be crazy to play with them. I guess that's what I'm going to dream about in the future.

Vancouver traded their assistant captain to pick up you?

- Yes, what can I say ... it feels so clear and fun, they seem to believe in me in Vancouver, says Jonathan Dahlen.

How can you not like this kid?  I was a fan of the trade when it happened but to see some real enthusiasm from him as well is exciting. Hopefully our fans continue to give him this kind of support while he adjusts to North America because he has the potential to be a big part of our future.  Stoked to see him play!