The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He isn't afraid to go to the net and has nice edge work on his feet.

I think he and Boeser will need a season in the AHL. JB should try to get some help down there next season.

I mentioned this elsewhere. If Gaudette signs and heads to Utica, along with Dahlen (and possibly Boeser if he doesn't earn a spot on the Canucks). Then we add in Brisebois and possibly Neil to go with Demko in his 2nd year of professional hockey and potentially another season for Virtanen, Subban and McEneny. The Canucks will be very well represented in the A next season.

It will be a lot of fun watching those games with so many prospects to keep an eye on. If they add a few pieces and become competitive, it could be super beneficial for all of them.

33 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

I mentioned this elsewhere. If Gaudette signs and heads to Utica, along with Dahlen (and possibly Boeser if he doesn't earn a spot on the Canucks). Then we add in Brisebois and possibly Neil to go with Demko in his 2nd year of professional hockey and potentially another season for Virtanen, Subban and McEneny. The Canucks will be very well represented in the A next season.

It will be a lot of fun watching those games with so many prospects to keep an eye on. If they add a few pieces and become competitive, it could be super beneficial for all of them.

I believe it's been said that Gaudette will most likely do another season in the NCAA so we can stop getting excited about seeing him next year.

I do hope Benning finds enough NHL talent to fill out our roster so guys like Boeser and Dalen dont get rushed into the NHL just because this team doesn't have enough NHL talent on it.

Just now, Ihatetomatoes said:

I believe it's been said that Gaudette will most likely do another season in the NCAA so we can stop getting excited about seeing him next year.

I do hope Benning finds enough NHL talent to fill out our roster so guys like Boeser and Dalen dont get rushed into the NHL just because this team doesn't have enough NHL talent on it.

Megna, Chapoo, and Skille could be coming back then?  NiceB)

It is a pretty good return for Burrows.

The league is split on his abilities to play in the NHL, some are high, some not.

All I am stating is until personally viewed, other than a "Highlight video" getting too excited should be tempered.

Still it is a very good return for Burrows

And he may have more value as an trade asset than as a player.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The league is split on his abilities to play in the NHL, some are high, some not.

All I am stating is until personally viewed, other than a "Highlight video" getting too excited should be tempered.

All true.  We basically (as Benning said yesterday) got a second round pick for Burr, which is pretty decent return.

• Upvote 1

For some tempering of expectations, the SHL was expanded from 12-14 teams in 2014 as such the quality of teams and players in the Allsvenskan went down. That means that players who played in the Allsvenskan pre 2014 would have had tougher top end competition, and not as terrible low end competition compared to today. That is partly why some people are being more cautious with thee top end of junior aged Allsvenskan players over the past 2 years.

15 of the top 100 all time u19 seasons in the Allsvenskan happened after expansion including these 13 players

Dahlen
Kovacs
Kylington
Marcus Pettersson
Ahl
Looke
Elias Petterson
Jesper Bratt
Younan
Wikman
Boqvist
Karlstrom
Hoglander

The 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 seasons were chalk full of great players as well making for a very competitive league.

Nylander
Forsberg
Wallmark
Wennberg
Pastrnak
Zaar
De La Rose
Rasmus Andersson
Burakovsky
Niklas Hansson

These guys all played with/against each other between 2012-2014.

I'm not sure if we'll be talking about their expansion group in the same respect as the post expansion group. If we are then that is a really great sign for Dahlen, but there were some absolute stars playing pre expansion.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Essentially makes the Nylander non-pick mute, because Dahlen has that elite skill. Now lets see if he can play with the big boys.

We could get the second coming of Patrick Kane and that still wouldn't excuse that draft wiff. Dahlen is a good start but we're still devoid of high skill grade A prospects in the organization. 

2 minutes ago, Derp... said:

I'm not sure if we'll be talking about their expansion group in the same respect as the post expansion group. If we are then that is a really great sign for Dahlen, but there were some absolute stars playing pre expansion.

Definitely a difference between playing in division two in the top league and division one in the top league. They move up and down the same way soccer/football does, regelation.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Definitely a difference between playing in division two in the top league and division one in the top league. They move up and down the same way soccer/football does, regelation.

All of the players listed were playing in the Allsvenskan for the record, but yes top league is a big step.

6 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

He's #27

6 hours ago, guntrix said:

We could get the second coming of Patrick Kane and that still wouldn't excuse that draft wiff. Dahlen is a good start but we're still devoid of high skill grade A prospects in the organization. 

Button has 4 Canucks' prospects on his top 50 not playing in the NHL and we are devoid of high skill grade A prospects? I think that is a bit of a stretch.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Button has 4 Canucks' prospects on his top 50 not playing in the NHL and we are devoid of high skill grade A prospects? I think that is a bit of a stretch.

Almost 5 if done after this trade... :lol:

Edited by J.R.

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Is it? 

Of those four prospects, one is a goalie (Demko) and the other is a defenseman (Juolevi). 

Of the other two, Guadette (5th round) just recently exploded out of nowhere and we still don't know if it's because he's playing with Sikura and 22 year old Anton-Reese or if it's because of his own doing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

Is it? 

Of those four prospects, one is a goalie (Demko) and the other is a defenseman (Juolevi). 

Of the other two, Guadette (5th round) just recently exploded out of nowhere and we still don't know if it's because he's playing with Sikura and 22 year old Anton-Reese or if it's because of his own doing. 

Gaudette had a big 2nd half of last season and carried it over to this year. He is a grade A, talented prospect IMO.

Juolevi may be a D man but he is still a Grade A talented prospect.

Boeser is one of the better prospects out there.

We may be somewhat devoid of high end grade A young players on the current roster but I think there is at least some Grade A talent in the system.

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Gaudette had a big 2nd half of last season and carried it over to this year. He is a grade A, talented prospect IMO.

Juolevi may be a D man but he is still a Grade A talented prospect.

Boeser is one of the better prospects out there.

We may be somewhat devoid of high end grade A young players on the current roster but I think there is at least some Grade talent in the system.

I was referring to forwards as we're pretty decent in defense with Hutton, Tryamkin, Juolevi, McEneny, Subban, Brise, etc.

And I disagree that Gaudette is an A grade prospect. Not yet at least. We'll have to see if he can carry on his production when Sikura goes to the Rockford IceHogs and Anton-Reese leaves to whichever team manages to sign him.