The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Burrows memories/ appreciation thread

cuporbust

Just wanted to give everyone a thread to share their favorite memories and thoughts about one of the best stories in canucks history. 

Today is bitter sweet for me. Some of my best canucks memories involve this guy.  I should add how classy he is for agreeing to a trade , and thank him for everything he had done here. 

Feel free to enjoy sharing your Alex Burrows memories here. 

Good luck Alex. You will be missed here buddy. 

http://canucksarmy.com/2011/12/29/perception-vs-reality-the-alex-burrows-story

Burrows wasn’t supposed to make it. There were hundreds of young hockey players like him, but bigger, stronger, faster, and perhaps most importantly, drafted. NHL teams view players drafted in a much different light than those not drafted (although this is changing in recent years). It is human nature for a GM to evaluate a player who they decided to draft in a more favourable light compared to the players that were passed over (people tend to view their own decisions favourably – in fact, 80% of people view themselves as above average).

A player who is ignored or passed over multiple times (like Burrows) often never gets another chance. For Burrows it was that one practice with the Moose. He took the opportunity given to him, and he made the most of it. Many players get the same opportunity and do nothing with it. To this day, he has made his career on taking advantage of every opportunity given.

Screenshot_2017-02-27-16-10-07-1.png

This moment was often overshadowed by Game 7 vs Chicago but what a moment in Canucks history. Thought that we'd win the cup after this

goal <_<

Luc Bourdon celebration

Image result for alex burrows gif

Chirping Shane O'Brien lol

Image result for alex burrows gif

This interview from two nights ago brought back a lot of great memories as well for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. I guess it was fitting that in Burrows' last game as a Canuck he played a full game with the Sedins. 

God. Burrows spent his entire career doing better than anyone expected him to as a Canuck. And then of course he makes a last sacrifice and waves his no trade, to bring in more than I expected in trade return. 

Going one step beyond to the very last old buddy. Go slay some more dragons. 

NO I'M NOT CRYING, YOU ARE CRYING. 

I love that video of Williie taking Burr to the Newtown Bakery in Chinatown, and how nice he was with the fans there. When you compare that to the attitudes of other pro's thats why I loved watching the guy along with everything else he brought. 

1 hour ago, Sygvard said:

God. Burrows spent his entire career doing better than anyone expected him to as a Canuck. And then of course he makes a last sacrifice and waves his no trade, to bring in more than I expected in trade return. 

Going one step beyond to the very last old buddy. Go slay some more dragons. 

NO I'M NOT CRYING, YOU ARE CRYING. 

Very nicely put. There have been nights during Alex's time when he did bring tears to my eyes. How many times did he answer the call when you knew he had to be hurting in a major way. As you pointed out even while leaving he adds one more gift to 'his' team. He was a fans player. I will always remember the strength of his character as he battled through the smear job placed on him over the Auger incident. The little guy won that one!

Archived