The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

5 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

So you just because he said this you believe Boeser is better off in Utica like the rest of some fan opinions who want prospects to 'ripen' in the minors.

Boeser is the exception to that group whether you admit or not.

He doesn't need Utica.

I don't believe anything right now. I believe he isn't waiver eligible so he will be in Utica and with the canucks whenever management sees fit. Not when the mayor of whosville says.

1 hour ago, E. Lindros said:

Russians are prone to floating. Heck bure was king of that, damn happy to watch him electrify the crowd offensively.

Dont misread that not comparing bure and goldy!!!!!

Im saying highly offensive skilled players is what our team needs and watching them play with offensive flare is what the fans paying to sttend want to see!

We arent contending for a cup, so ease off the oedal that everyone has to compete and be a two way dynamo or they csnt be on our team.

I pay to watch goldy. Not see ahl fodders or gaunces. They may be complimentary guys but goldy has high skill and thats what we need.

I think alot will come down to having him play with the correct linemates, no not the twins!

Goldy sutter rodin-2way center, rodin if healthy will be a great add to our forwards

Or

Goldy horvat boeser-youth be served

Nobody said he had to be a 'two way' anything. 

Puck pursuit, battle, attack and playing with pace are all thing that will help him create offense. Ask Crosby. 

And Bure was actually quite adept at those things AND back checking. He even PK'd. He was just fast enough and could read the pay well enough to get back while skirting the neutral zone. 

• Upvote 2

Let's just hope the kid has a good summer workout regime and work with someone that will help with the mental side of the game. You can have all the speed and skill but if you can't process the game at the pro level. You will be playing in the minors in no time. And by the way he likes nice cars and high end goods. He better be making an NHL paycheque to afford all those nice shiny things. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, E. Lindros said:

Russians are prone to floating. Heck bure was king of that, damn happy to watch him electrify the crowd offensively.

Dont misread that not comparing bure and goldy!!!!!

Im saying highly offensive skilled players is what our team needs and watching them play with offensive flare is what the fans paying to sttend want to see!

We arent contending for a cup, so ease off the oedal that everyone has to compete and be a two way dynamo or they csnt be on our team.

I pay to watch goldy. Not see ahl fodders or gaunces. They may be complimentary guys but goldy has high skill and thats what we need.

I think alot will come down to having him play with the correct linemates, no not the twins!

Goldy sutter rodin-2way center, rodin if healthy will be a great add to our forwards

Or

Goldy horvat boeser-youth be served

im ready to waive Gaunce if his season doesn't start out strong. He has potential but he needs to show hes capable of being a legit 4th line center or winger.

i wouldn't be surprised if he's passed by the depth we have and he return to the ahl.  the only thing that gives me pause is his success under Travis Green.  He returned to utica with green and lit up the ahl.  

if gaunce can find his game at the nhl level it better be soon. i dont see him sticking around long if he doesn't.  i give gaunce 10-12 games into the season to prove himself.

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

im ready to waive Gaunce if his season doesn't start out strong. He has potential but he needs to show hes capable of being a legit 4th line center or winger.

i wouldn't be surprised if he's passed by the depth we have and he return to the ahl.  the only thing that gives me pause is his success under Travis Green.  He returned to utica with green and lit up the ahl.  

if gaunce can find his game at the nhl level it better be soon. i dont see him sticking around long if he doesn't.  i give gaunce 10-12 games into the season to prove himself.

Injuries will give him a long look. No point in losing an asset who is a flexible bottom 6 player with good defensive acumin for nothing.

If he starts to score then great!

• Upvote 3

Problem with Goldobin on our team is him and Sutter didnt work at all.

So for him to make the team he needs to play with the Sedins or Bo and Sven. And I am not convinced that he will beat out others for those two spots. 

Or unless Gagner and Him play very well together 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, R3aL said:

So for him to make the team he needs to play with the Sedins or Bo and Sven. And I am not convinced that he will beat out others for those two spots. 

Or unless Gagner and Him play very well together 

Gagner or Burmistrov are options. But I still think he's in Utica. At least until injuries/the TDL.

Edited by J.R.

On 7/11/2017 at 8:57 AM, Goal:thecup said:

I give more credit to McPhee than you do.

The fact that Sbisa hasn't been traded proves little as there is still plenty of time if they don't want to keep him.

Whatever Luca's current market value is, it is greater than Gaunce's value as a guy that can't score and can only hope to land a fourth line spot on the second-worst team in the league.

In a different thread, I put my opinion that Gaunce is in tough to even make the team this year.

He might make it as others are not quite ready and can be sent down without fear of losing them.

I like Gaunce, but he always seems out of place as a hockey player, big but not tough, skilled but ineffective, kinda like Taylor Pyatt.

I would not be surprised if, even if he makes the team and improves his results, he is not traded.

Opinions, we all have, but where LV goes with Luca, and where we go Brendan, will show who has higher value.

For now, we know that at least one (real) NHL GM thinks Sbisa is worth more than Gaunce.

IMHO SBisa had more value than Gaunce simply by his position and his time in the NHL. Defencemen have more value, especially with experience. Gaunce has not established himself yet. I do expect a much better season from him on the score sheet. I did not evaluate his performance or future value based solely on his PPG. He had a decent season last year as did his line mates. I will be very surprised if he does not make the opening roster. He would not clear waivers.

Down grading Sbisa's value because LV has not moved him is weak IMO. It is like saying Tanev's value is weak because Benning has not traded him. Over the past 2 seasons Sbisa has played significant TOI as a top 4 d-man. If LV wants to move him there will be a market in October/November as NHL teams make decisions on their rosters.    

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, J.R. said:

Nobody said he had to be a 'two way' anything. 

Puck pursuit, battle, attack and playing with pace are all thing that will help him create offense. Ask Crosby. 

And Bure was actually quite adept at those things AND back checking. He even PK'd. He was just fast enough and could read the pay well enough to get back while skirting the neutral zone. 

For a good belly laugh maybe we should compare Kessel with Bure. We do know that Crosby won't play with Kessel. Apparently their styles clash. :huh:

On 7/11/2017 at 6:15 PM, E. Lindros said:

Russians are prone to floating.

I thought this thinking went out with all Swedes are soft, all Canadians can fight and such silly stereotypes.   For every "floater" that is a Pavel Datsyuk who likely doesn't even float in salt water he worked so hard.   

Gotta imagine that goldobin in Utica is a mistake. Unless he has a bad training camp (which is possible) he should be a top 6 player on the Canucks next season. He's a top 6 or bust type of player, I'm not sure how is game can develop in a league where he is already a top player with his current skills. Partnering him with the Sedins (for example) would allow him to gain confidence in the league while being mentored by two of the best leaders in the organization. While he may not be a full blown NHL player, I think his development will be best helped by learning from real NHLers, and not by playing in a league where he can get away with bad habits. 

• Upvote 2

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:58 AM, R3aL said:

Sutter didn't work with anyone, I am hoping he is traded at the TDL.

9 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Gotta imagine that goldobin in Utica is a mistake.

Agreed

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Gotta imagine that goldobin in Utica is a mistake. Unless he has a bad training camp (which is possible) he should be a top 6 player on the Canucks next season. He's a top 6 or bust type of player, I'm not sure how is game can develop in a league where he is already a top player with his current skills. Partnering him with the Sedins (for example) would allow him to gain confidence in the league while being mentored by two of the best leaders in the organization. While he may not be a full blown NHL player, I think his development will be best helped by learning from real NHLers, and not by playing in a league where he can get away with bad habits. 

32 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Sutter didn't work with anyone, I am hoping he is traded at the TDL.

Agreed

If he hasn't increased his battle level and puck pursuit, THAT's what he has to go yo Utica to learn.

And Sutter 'works' just fine in a dzone matchup role with like players. Trying to shove his square peg defensive play in to a 'round' offensive line mates role is the problem.

He should be centering a hard minute, dzone matchup line with the likes of Gaunce, Chaput, Dorsett, Molino etc.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

If he hasn't increased his battle level and puck pursuit, THAT's what he has to go yo Utica to learn.

Pretty hard to learn "battle level and puck pursuit" when you're the best player on the team and playing against players who simply aren't as good as you. 

Better to put him in the NHL where he needs to learn to bring his A game and play well away from the puck in order to have success, rather than play in Utica where he's not forced to adapt. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

This might be a stupid question, but is he waiver exempt?

There is no stupid question. He does not require waivers. Good chance that he is going to play in Utica, even so he is graduated and needs to play in the NHL. It's on him to work on his two-way game.

• Upvote 1

My only hope is that they dont send him down to "work on his defensive game" or something. That is always a creativity killer. If he gets sent down it should be with the mindset to score as much as possible and earn a top 6 call up. Will he have a learning curve in the NHL on the defensive side of the puck? Of course, but as a franchise you need the guy to be a 60 point player with decent 2 way game in about 3 years. 

Let it happen naturally while he uses his best assets to take him where he needs to go. 

Edited by Derp...
  • Upvote 4