The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

14 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Interesting comments by Dave Tomlinson on 650 today

The talk about Goldobin is that he thinks that he's working hard.  Apparently, Greens idea of hard work is somewhat different.

A few weeks ago, the coaching staff prepared a series of video's to play to Goldobin.  17 was the number of videos if I recall.  They were showing him incidences of him not working in games; not moving his feet etc.  At the end of the session, his response was *why are you guys picking on me?*

Here is a guy who isn't getting it.

maybe they should just simplify things for goldy

since the sensory overload from 17 clips overwhelm him

show him only one video clip over and over and over

his last game against florida where his play led to a goal

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Green's Style of coaching preaches responsibility defense first . I say poppy cock let the horses run let the D play defense bring one forward back and play off wing Rover. Win games 7 to 6 not 3 to 2. Goldobin under the right coach could put up a lot of points.

I love a good barn burner as much as the next guy but that’s not the way to be a good team, PRIME EXAMPLE THE MAPLE LAFFS

16 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Interesting comments by Dave Tomlinson on 650 today

The talk about Goldobin is that he thinks that he's working hard.  Apparently, Greens idea of hard work is somewhat different.

A few weeks ago, the coaching staff prepared a series of video's to play to Goldobin.  17 was the number of videos if I recall.  They were showing him incidences of him not working in games; not moving his feet etc.  At the end of the session, his response was *why are you guys picking on me?*

Here is a guy who isn't getting it.

I, seriously, want JB to put a fork in this guy's career here.

Don't really care what we get in return.

Would've rather kept Hansen.

20 hours ago, mll said:

Again today Dhaliwal tweeted that his agent is very disappointed re the Canucks treatment of Goldobin. 

This is the tweet you are talking about:

I am actually very disappointed with Larionov who has significant influence with his Russian clients because of his long and successful career in the NHL. Larionov's response to the Goldobin's situation reminds me so much about the Igor's comments in the Russian mass media regarding the similar situation with his other client Nail Yakupov. Larionov criticized the NHL clubs at that time for being too demanding to such excellent player that Yakupov was...

9 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

This is the tweet you are talking about:

I am actually very disappointed with Larionov who has significant influence with his Russian clients because of his long and successful career in the NHL. Larionov's response to the Goldobin's situation reminds me so much about the Igor's comments in the Russian mass media regarding the similar situation with his other client Nail Yakupov. Larionov criticized the NHL clubs at that time for being too demanding to such excellent player that Yakupov was...

Maybe if he was honest with his clients and their shortcomings, he would have more clients like Datsyuk and less clients like Yakupov...

No coach will play a player that can't play at both ends of the ice. This isn't the KHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe if he was honest with his clients and their shortcomings, he would have more clients like Datsyuk and less clients like Yakupov...

No coach will play a player that can't play at both ends of the ice. This isn't the KHL.

Not unless your name is Sedin :emot-parrot:

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Not unless your name is Sedin :emot-parrot:

Honestly, during their primes, the twins were pretty solid defensive players too. They faltered a lot more in their later years though.

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, during their primes, the twins were pretty solid defensive players too. They faltered a lot more in their later years though.

Do you think so AJ?

I thought they just had the puck most of the time, and were high offensive players, therefore having great plus minus stats.....

I can't remember them ever being that solid

Now they could transition well, but they had a pretty good defensive squad to create those turn overs

I guess, in the end, their end result was what counted..

Just never considered them defensive at any point

Mute point these days

Cheers

Have a good day!

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Do you think so AJ?

I thought they just had the puck most of the time, and were high offensive players, therefore having great plus minus stats.....

I can't remember them ever being that solid

Now they could transition well, but they had a pretty good defensive squad to create those turn overs

I guess, in the end, their end result was what counted..

Just never considered them defensive at any point

Mute point these days

Cheers

Have a good day!

Defensive players only in the sense that their puck possession was superior so the opposition never had it. Never remembered them ever PK'ing.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Defensive players only in the sense that their puck possession was superior so the opposition never had it. Never remembered them ever PK'ing.  

They did a bit in their prime. Generally towards the end of a kill but it still counts.

On 1/16/2019 at 9:12 AM, coastal.view said:

really?

you think that would work in the nhl

to allow some players to only play one direction

while the other team has all of its players playing 100% both ways?

i think you'd see your team get a pile of goals scored against it

and even if this might work

why use goldy as the basis for your argument

the kid does not score goals .. so he does not need to be in the offensive end the whole game

his points are acquired via assists

he is still a very unproven point producer at the nhl level

your approach kinda was what the oilers were doing with mcdavid

how has that worked for them ?

He's still interesting, because he has the skillset to be a playmaker and his 7% shooting percentage is the anomaly and not the rule. The Del zotto trade was an endorsement of Goldy, in that they aren't wiling to give up on him just yet and they'd likely have to waive him, since he hasn't garnered any trade action.

You have to give this guy at least until the end of the season to find his game. He's an immature guy who can become a better player just by getting older and more mature. Hutton and Virtanen are perfect examples.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

He's still interesting, because he has the skillset to be a playmaker and his 7% shooting percentage is the anomaly and not the rule. The Del zotto trade was an endorsement of Goldy, in that they aren't wiling to give up on him just yet and they'd likely have to waive him, since he hasn't garnered any trade action.

You have to give this guy at least until the end of the season to find his game. He's an immature guy who can become a better player just by getting older and more mature. Hutton and Virtanen are perfect examples.

you are reading way too much into my post

it's not really about goldy so much as a response to the suggestion that a team

should just let a player play to their strength only.. offense.. and basically minimize or disregard the rest of the on ice game

that is why i pivoted from goldy to mcdavid

i simply do not agree with this approach

goldy is a canuck asset

presently quite flawed, but young, and cheap

he still has upside, but i think time is running out on him

i doubt he has earned till the end of the season if he continues his recent run of poor play

i really doubt the mdz trade had as much to do with goldy as you suggest

i think it could just as likely have had something to do with schaller

but it most likely had everything to do with mdz (in fact i'm fairly certain this is the paramount issue)

wanting to avoid just simply waiving mdz without any hope of a return

so they found a buyer instead and traded him

27 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Equating trading MDZ to it being an endorsement of goldy is just a bit of a stretch don't ya think?  lol 

Come on. The two are not even related. They traded a sub par D for a pick. Hopefully next JB trades a sub par forward too (and if that is goldy I am totally fine with that).

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Equating trading MDZ to it being an endorsement of goldy is just a bit of a stretch don't ya think?  lol 

Come on. The two are not even related. They traded a sub par D for a pick. Hopefully next JB trades a sub par forward too (and if that is goldy I am totally fine with that).

Yeah I can connect those dots. They traded Del Zotto for a roster spot to avoid having to make a decision on one of the players on the bubble ie Schaller, Biega or Goldobin.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Yeah I can connect those dots. They traded Del Zotto for a roster spot to avoid having to make a decision on one of the players on the bubble ie Schaller, Biega or Goldobin.

Agree to disagree.

Trading MDZ was in NO WAY an endorsement of goldy.

• Upvote 1

Is Goldobin in tonight? Or is he stuck in the doghouse? I can understand Larionov (his agent) being upset, but that's kind of his job (supporting his client). He's not a kid anymore, has played over a hundred NHL games (17 goals by the way). This isn't the stat of an elite goal scorer/offensive powerhouse. I get that the guy has some skills, he can stick handle well anyway. But his overall game is very average. The fact that he's 4th in Canucks points doesn't really say a lot. He probably wouldn't stay in the lineup on a good playoff team.

• Like 1