The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

With Baertschi still out, I hope they give Goldobin a chance to play with Horvat.  

If Sutter were healthy, Goldobin could play with him as well as the playmaker on that line but I think Sutter should rest his hand.  Frankly, if they're not chasing the playoffs anymore, I would like to see them rest Sutter and then play Gaunce at center.  It's worth seeing what Gaunce can do with increased responsibility.  It's not like Sutter is at a level that he is a big help to the team right now.  Better for him to rest his hand in preparation for next season.

Very curious to see how Goldobin performs at the NHL level.  He seems like an exciting player and perhaps it will be good for Tryamkin to have another Russian around.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Benning is doing a great job of filling the prospect gap of skilled wingers we missed out on during the Gillis era. And Tryamkin gets a Russian speaking buddy. 

Boeser, Dahlen and Goldobin. That is some scoring talent on the wings. 

Now we need another top tier center to go with Horvat and Gaudette and we have a really strong group of forwards moving ahead.

Edited by Ihatetomatoes
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Boeser, Dahlen and Goldobin. That is some scoring talent on the wings. 

Now we need another top tier center to go with Horvat and Gaudette and we have a really strong group of forwards moving ahead.

Since we're almost assuredly picking 5-10 C Michael Rasmussen makes a lot of sense. A huge kid from Surrey that can keep guys honest. 

This Goldobin guy seems like he has some slick hands to work with. I don't like Benning taking him straight to the NHL, but I guess we are down quite a few guys now minus Burrows and Hansen. I will definitely miss Hansen - he's been probably the hardest working and most consistent player we had. I'm excited what Goldobin will bring to our lineup and glad Tryamkin will have someone to talk to. I guess we can act like we selected him in 2014: 

"Goldobin is a gifted sniper with the potential to be a big-time scorer in the NHL with his excellent wrist shot. His game in his own end, particularly his defensive play, has held him back to this point. New San Jose Sharks' head coach Peter DeBoer values smart, two-way play and he — along with former Devils' coach Jacques Lemaire — helped another Russian sniper, Ilya Kovalchuk, transform from being a defensive liability to a player that is more aware in his own end of the ice. Goldobin has many of the same tools as Kovalchuk. While he may not put up the same gaudy offensive numbers as the former Thrashers and Devils forward, Goldobin has the potential to be a special player at the NHL level." - HF

"Goldobin is a dangerous shooter with a wicked release on his wrist shot. He is quick and creative and can make defenders look foolish. He's weak against bigger opponents and can look lost in his own zone but is extremely dangerous and can quietly slide into prime scoring areas." - EP

• Upvote 1

This trade gives us another winger prospect on top of Boeser, Virtanen, and Dahlen. Considering the fact that Baertschi and Granlund look like they are going to be at worst 20 goal scorers and Boeser looking like a sure thing, we only need one of Virtanen, Goldobin, and Dahlen to reach their potential to round out the top 6 winger positions.

Draft a good center this draft and we should be competitive within few years. 

Go Canucks Go

• Upvote 1