The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

45 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

being responsibile defensively doesn’t mean he has to play like sutter.  Players have different skill sets. They all bring something different to the team. 

again ovi has a better plus minus than bo. So are you stating ovis better than bo defensively?

Bo needs to be a plus player for us to be a winning team, don't you think?

Look at how much better the AVs are without Duchene.  And look at how worse the Sens are with Duchene.    

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Look at how much better the AVs are without Duchene.  And look at how worse the Sens are with Duchene.    

Bo will be a plus player when he’s surrounded by a nhl quality d core and a decent goalie.  Plus minus has nothing to do with how good a player is defensively. Plus minus is a team/line stat not an individual stat. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Personally I think you're both right.

Clearly teams would prefer players who can put up points AND be, at least, 'capable' defensively.

Now granted, you're going to make exceptions for a guy who is elite offensively, particularly if you have a good mix elsewhere in the lineup to cover their lack of defensive ability. But let's not try to pretend Goldobin is remotely in the same conversation as Ovechkin. He's got potential to probably be a decent 2nd liner/mediocre 1st liner, not a generational player. He's going to have to have SOME ability to play away from the puck. He's much improved in that regard but there's still LOT's of work to do IMO.

No one is stating that Goldi is the equivalent of Ovi, but he is an offensive minded player.  That is what has got him this far into the league and that is what going to make him effective.  He’s either going to be a 40-50+ offensive point player or he’s not going to be in the league.  Just like Gaborik and Drouin, when Semin stopped producing he fell out of the league, Yakupov never proved he could produce and has bounced around, until Vrana produces consistently he will be doing the same thing in WSH.  Canucks need more offensive players like that, we need scoring.  If Goldi proves he can produce, he stays if not, he’s gone. 

Trying to turn him into something else doesn’t help him or this team.  There’s a difference between wanting him to add to his game, to be more defensively aware than asking him to become a two way player.  All players should be trying to get better and improving their game.  I want him to cheat offensively at times and yes sometimes it’s going to burn us, but what I want him to learn is to be smarter at picking out those situations.

Anyone that uses plus minus as the sole definition between being good and bad defensively is always going to be wrong. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Really like Goldobrin’s 3 speed game, Green should be proud of what he is bringing out of Goldy, Jake, and Guance.

now if we can only get Tryamkin to use Larionov as his agent.

I think Larionov is his agent.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Duchene is the only good thing going on the Sens right now. I heard an interview with a beat reporter recently where the interviewer trotted out the tired line of Duchene being a problem and the reporter said he has been nothing but a model citizen for the team and the only player producing. Just because his former team wouldn't pay him what his agent wanted, doesn't mean he is a cancer to the team. It was a contract dispute.

3 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Duchene is the only good thing going on the Sens right now. I heard an interview with a beat reporter recently where the interviewer trotted out the tired line of Duchene being a problem and the reporter said he has been nothing but a model citizen for the team and the only player producing. Just because his former team wouldn't pay him what his agent wanted, doesn't mean he is a cancer to the team. It was a contract dispute.

Duchene needs to play the right way, or he will be trouble to any team.  All players need to play the right way.  There can't be guys cheating the game, without other players calling them out in the locker room.  That's the way it has always been.  Teammates need to trust one another.  That trust is earned by playing the right way.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Duchene needs to play the right way, or he will be trouble to any team.  All players need to play the right way.  There can't be guys cheating the game, without other players calling them out in the locker room.  That's the way it has always been.  Teammates need to trust one another.  That trust is earned by playing the right way.

No grey in your world!

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

There’s a difference between wanting him to add to his game, to be more defensively aware than asking him to become a two way player.  All players should be trying to get better and improving their game.  I want him to cheat offensively at times and yes sometimes it’s going to burn us, but what I want him to learn is to be smarter at picking out those situations.

Couldn't agree more with this, particularly the bolded.

• Cheers 2

On 4/3/2018 at 10:15 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Ya, no sense keeping a prospect once you get them playing well.

I'm not advocating we trade Goldy, per say.  But, I'm very sensitive to us falling into the Oiler's trap and of dumping players when their value is low.  RNH had a stinker of a season in 16/17, his name was all over the trade boards.  He rebounds this year and the beat writers say it doesn't make sense to trade him.

Look, all I'm saying is, do you think we would have gotten more value for say Baer or Granlund one year ago, than we would today?  I mean, maybe Dahlen becomes expendable if  Goldy keeps playing lights out.  To me, it's all about increasing value of the team.

1 hour ago, Dungass said:

I'm not advocating we trade Goldy, per say.  But, I'm very sensitive to us falling into the Oiler's trap and of dumping players when their value is low.  RNH had a stinker of a season in 16/17, his name was all over the trade boards.  He rebounds this year and the beat writers say it doesn't make sense to trade him.

Look, all I'm saying is, do you think we would have gotten more value for say Baer or Granlund one year ago, than we would today?  I mean, maybe Dahlen becomes expendable if  Goldy keeps playing lights out.  To me, it's all about increasing value of the team.

You can’t trade with a crystal ball.   No one could have predicted Baer and Gran would have been hampered by injuries all year.    You can’t manage like that.   Perhaps they were traded and next year they have brilliant seasons and the trades get Canucks assets that don’t work out.   Crystal balls don’t work and neither do all trades.

Hansen for Goldy seems to have been a massive win.   Getting greedy is fine but just think big picture.   I would have traded Goldy a few months back, now I would have to think about it since his switch went on.   Never say never though.

Rough game last night tbh.  But hopefully he's seen what it takes to become a legend and this helps him get stronger in the offseason.  If everything that went on with the Sedins doesn't inspire him to become a great NHLer I don't think nothing well...

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Rough game last night tbh.  But hopefully he's seen what it takes to become a legend and this helps him get stronger in the offseason.  If everything that went on with the Sedins doesn't inspire him to become a great NHLer I don't think nothing well...

He made a mistake right at the start and didn't seem to get his confidence back after it. Kid has incredible skill and could be a great player for us in a somewhat sheltered role. I think with more time played and over time we will have a great player, just like Virtanen is showing this year.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

He made a mistake right at the start and didn't seem to get his confidence back after it. Kid has incredible skill and could be a great player for us in a somewhat sheltered role. I think with more time played and over time we will have a great player, just like Virtanen is showing this year.

Goldy needs to clear waivers next season, if we send him down.  That's a guy, who is very likely, to get picked up by another team.  Maybe it's best to trade him for a pick at the coming draft?  Goldy is (kind of) where Vey and Baer were in their careers when we traded for them, and that earned their teams 2nd rounders.  Hopefully, JB can get that much for Goldy!

Goldobin did what I didn't think he could do in the last 10 games of the season--make me want him on the main roster. Very good ending to his season. I hope to see him in the top six next year, barring any surprises.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2