The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

7 hours ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

Does Goldobin get 1st shot at LW on the top line this year?  He does have some nice passing ability to setup his linemates but his leash is so short with Green.  Let him play through the mistakes Coach and let the line develop some chemistry.... put Baertschi on the 2nd line with Sutter and Elias.

I guess it depends if Goldy can actually work hard and be consistent over the first bunch of games. If not, he won't be here long imo. I hope he can step it up personally.

On 7/25/2018 at 8:45 AM, Hutton Wink said:

Summer training, Goldy-style...

I want him to choose this song for his goal song and actually celebrate goals like this as well!!!!! Instead of his ho hum, been their done that, too easy, celebrations...lol

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Looks to be working on his explosiveness here... nice to see.. the talent is there hopefully the maturity and work ethic is too

This pleases me very much. I really like Goldie. I am excited to see him at camp. :) I think he can be a lot better player then we have seen. I have high hopes for him! to think he was only taken a few spots after McCann in the 2014 draft.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I've been ruminating about this for a few weeks now.  Goldy is an immense talent, I mean any player who can leave Drew Doughty searching for his jock strap is going to be worth his salt.  But there is a reason he hasn't become a full-time player yet, 4 years after his draft and already on his second team.

I enjoyed watching him last year, especially during the later part of the season when he got his crack at the top line.  Even though, he did make more of an effort to be more responsible as the season went, I think it's fair to say, he still has room to grow in that aspect of his game.  

What cheesed me off, more than anything else, was his stunt at the end of the year, when he was sent back down to the Comets.  Clearly he wasn't pleased to be there, maybe considering himself an NHL regular already.  That back injury he claimed was clearly bogus and a cover for him having a hissy fit for being sent down.

This season is make or break for Goldy.  He has a shot to be a full-time NHL player for the first time in his career.  But make no mistake, he is facing stiff competition to get there.  Granlund, Gagne and Leipsic, especially the latter are in the same boat.  If he doesn't make the team, then he's back to either the minors, or claimed off waivers and with his third team in three years.  

I would expect to see him treating this off-season as life or death for his NHL career.  Instead, he's posting crap on social media, adoring himself.  It's almost as if he's decided that since he showed some success at the NHL level last year his career is made, either here or in the KHL.  

He needs to come to camp with a fire in his eyes and belly in order to make this team, and judging by this off-season, we're seeing more of the same issues that have held him back thus far in his career.

I know this won't be a popular post on this board, and I would love to be proven wrong.  If he posts 20 goals and 40 points after time on the PP and one of the top lines, I will be dancing in the streets.  But at this point, I'm betting against it and thinking he'll be either on a different team or out of the league by this team next year.  

44 minutes ago, Dungass said:

What cheesed me off, more than anything else, was his stunt at the end of the year, when he was sent back down to the Comets.  Clearly he wasn't pleased to be there, maybe considering himself an NHL regular already.  That back injury he claimed was clearly bogus and a cover for him having a hissy fit for being sent down.

I call compete and utter BS.   :angry:

Source for the bolded?   In hockey, you have made pretty close to the worst claim you can make about a player short of him throwing a teammate under the bus in a game/in the room.

Wow.   You are claiming a professional athlete was "faking" an injury to avoid playing.   IF that was even remotely close to credible, particularly in hockey, he would already be long gone from the Canucks organization.   Whether someone is pleased to be there or not, faking an injury is simply not part of the code and the very few times I am aware anyone has even gone remotely close to that zone they were shipped out before they could finish the sentence.

Goldy is a talented guy with lots of self-confidence in terms of him thinking he should be a top player in the NHL.  Sure it hurts the ego to be playing in a lesser league but I see nothing in his DNA that makes him part of a very small group of guys who would be part of a "out of hockey by own choice forever" if they tried to fake an injury.   

• Upvote 2

Well, let's see.  He was sent down at the end of the season, half-assed it for half a game, was benched for the other half, sitting alone by himself as the trainer barely talked to him, and then was scratched for the next.  When reporters asked Cull about the injury, Cull said something along the lines of "He's doing well, I'll leave it at that."  Either way, the optics were terrible. He then proceeded to mail it in during the playoffs.  

At the very least, we can agree that he leaves a lot to be desired with work ethic and attitude.  Look, maybe he does come into camp in the best shape of his life and tears it up during the preseason.  But everything we've seen thus far would suggest that's probably not going to happen, and his social media antics this summer have done nothing to suggest otherwise.  

• Wat 2

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I call compete and utter BS.   :angry:

Source for the bolded?   In hockey, you have made pretty close to the worst claim you can make about a player short of him throwing a teammate under the bus in a game/in the room.

Wow.   You are claiming a professional athlete was "faking" an injury to avoid playing.   IF that was even remotely close to credible, particularly in hockey, he would already be long gone from the Canucks organization.   Whether someone is pleased to be there or not, faking an injury is simply not part of the code and the very few times I am aware anyone has even gone remotely close to that zone they were shipped out before they could finish the sentence.

Goldy is a talented guy with lots of self-confidence in terms of him thinking he should be a top player in the NHL.  Sure it hurts the ego to be playing in a lesser league but I see nothing in his DNA that makes him part of a very small group of guys who would be part of a "out of hockey by own choice forever" if they tried to fake an injury.   

I have no idea about the Goldobin situation but we hear somewhat regularly about old in the tooth players going on LTIR near the ends of their career.  I mean really...a guy claiming to be allergic to his gear? Really lmao!!!!

Although towards your point, most of those situations are probably more about a team wanting cap room and making those decisions without the players input.

Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I have no idea about the Goldobin situation but we hear somewhat regularly about old in the tooth players going on LTIR near the ends of their career.  I mean really...a guy claiming to be allergic to his gear? Really lmao!!!!

Although towards your point, most of those situations are probably more about a team wanting cap room and making those decisions without the players input.

Just my opinion.

Totally different situation - the poster claimed the guy was faking an injury to ease his annoyance at being asked to play in AHL.   That simply doesn't happen.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dungass said:

Well, let's see.  He was sent down at the end of the season, half-assed it for half a game, was benched for the other half, sitting alone by himself as the trainer barely talked to him, and then was scratched for the next.  When reporters asked Cull about the injury, Cull said something along the lines of "He's doing well, I'll leave it at that."  Either way, the optics were terrible. He then proceeded to mail it in during the playoffs.  

At the very least, we can agree that he leaves a lot to be desired with work ethic and attitude.  Look, maybe he does come into camp in the best shape of his life and tears it up during the preseason.  But everything we've seen thus far would suggest that's probably not going to happen, and his social media antics this summer have done nothing to suggest otherwise.  

How dare he be a young athlete enjoying life and posting pictures of himself working out.   The nerve.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How dare he be a young athlete enjoying life and posting pictures of himself working out.   The nerve.

Agreed with this sentiment.

But could you give your personal opinion on Goldy’s current situation...I’m guessing you’ve seen this basic story numerous times and first-hand.

Im like most I guess where from my vantage point I see tremendous talent and a disconnect in engaging at full-commmitment

Hopefully he realizes how big a year this is for him. With Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, Gaudette and others coming up behind him (Plus Pettersson set to step in ahead of him) he's reaching make or break territory. Its the last year of his deal and if he fails to establish himself again (with the door being as wide open as it currently is) I can't see him being around much longer past that.

He's gotta be one of the guys the coaching staff & management are hoping will bring the needed offense. He should get some great opportunity this year & hopefully he can capitalize. 

• Upvote 1

Late last year, I said that if Goldy didn't pick up his game for the last two weeks, he was done in my eyes.

He picked up his game.

His last 11 games had 7 points, while his first 27 games also had just 7 points. 

His game improved a ton in the last few weeks and if he keeps that up, I think he can lock down a 2nd line spot playing some good minutes. That said, if this was just a splash and he's got nothing more and is back to his old self, then he's done and will probably return to Russia to play in the KHL at some point during, or after this season.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Dungass said:

Ok, so I've been ruminating about this for a few weeks now.  Goldy is an immense talent, I mean any player who can leave Drew Doughty searching for his jock strap is going to be worth his salt.  But there is a reason he hasn't become a full-time player yet, 4 years after his draft and already on his second team.

I enjoyed watching him last year, especially during the later part of the season when he got his crack at the top line.  Even though, he did make more of an effort to be more responsible as the season went, I think it's fair to say, he still has room to grow in that aspect of his game.  

This season is make or break for Goldy.  He has a shot to be a full-time NHL player for the first time in his career.  But make no mistake, he is facing stiff competition to get there.  Granlund, Gagne and Leipsic, especially the latter are in the same boat.  If he doesn't make the team, then he's back to either the minors, or claimed off waivers and with his third team in three years.  

I would expect to see him treating this off-season as life or death for his NHL career.  Instead, he's posting crap on social media, adoring himself.  It's almost as if he's decided that since he showed some success at the NHL level last year his career is made, either here or in the KHL.  

He needs to come to camp with a fire in his eyes and belly in order to make this team, and judging by this off-season, we're seeing more of the same issues that have held him back thus far in his career.

I know this won't be a popular post on this board, and I would love to be proven wrong.  If he posts 20 goals and 40 points after time on the PP and one of the top lines, I will be dancing in the streets.  But at this point, I'm betting against it and thinking he'll be either on a different team or out of the league by this team next year.  

Tbh its kinda stupid to think that a guy isnt training his ass off just because he's posted a few videos to his instagram that probably took up ~7 minutes of his entire summer in total

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

Tbh its kinda stupid to think that a guy isnt training his ass off just because he's posted a few videos to his instagram that probably took up ~7 minutes of his entire summer in total

I think of it as the Sedin effect, although it probably goes back as far as Trevor Linden. People forget that the Canucks went to the finals with guys like Tiger Williams, and Rockie Delorme, Gino Odjick, Tim Hunter, Shawn Antoski, Bure, Sergio Momesso, Kesler, Torres and Burrows. They ignore that Pat Kane and Duncan Keith have 3 Cups while Doughty and Brown have 2 and Ratboy and Looch also have one. But you hear a certain sector of fans say, " I would n't want those guys within 100 miles of our prospects." 

Its like every player has to be Trevor Linden or a Sedin or at worst Captain Serious or they are not good enough for our team.

Personality = Bad

Milquetoast =  "the Right way"

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Late last year, I said that if Goldy didn't pick up his game for the last two weeks, he was done in my eyes.

He picked up his game.

His last 11 games had 7 points, while his first 27 games also had just 7 points. 

His game improved a ton in the last few weeks and if he keeps that up, I think he can lock down a 2nd line spot playing some good minutes. That said, if this was just a splash and he's got nothing more and is back to his old self, then he's done and will probably return to Russia to play in the KHL at some point during, or after this season.

His offensive game improved for sure but until he can use a GPS to find his own end and hustle on the back check he will not be a full time NHL player. I like the skating ability, what he does with the puck, and his creativity in the offensive zone. The Ranger game in New York he was absolutely awful defensively and that just cant happen with a real NHL player.

On August 14, 2018 at 6:05 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

I guess it depends if Goldy can actually work hard and be consistent over the first bunch of games. If not, he won't be here long imo. I hope he can step it up personally.

I ran ran into him today outside of our building walking down Robson. We had a short chat but he said he's feeling good, back practicing with some of the guys here, and looking forward to the season. 

I'm with you in hoping he has a solid year. Would be nice to have a talented Russian kid find some success in Vancouver...been a while.