The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

7 hours ago, Archie the grim said:

Don’t know why people think he is talented offensively, he can’t pass, or shoot, isn’t strong on the boards doesn’t hit coughs up the puck regularly. How long are the Canucks going to with his poor play. He is playing with the best the Canucks have.When Boesser, Beagle, Baertchi come back he should go either to the press box or on waivers. The Canucks don’t need players like Goldobin, Pouliot or Leipsic. They bring nothing to the team except bad play

Maybe give him a chance... Pouliot too? You're tough to please!

13 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

Maybe give him a chance... Pouliot too? You're tough to please!

He is playing with the Canucks best offensive player, he gets lots of power play time. He’s been around for a while now hasn’t done squat. Can’t hit the net with a shot, can’t give or take a pass. He has had the best chance the Canucks could give him and has been totally ineffective. You think Pouliot is playing well too? Are you Willie Desjardins?

23 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

About the only thing really noticeably lacking right now is his ability to put the puck in the net, He currently has more assists than any of Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Eriksson or Granlund..... not to bad for someone you say can't take / make a pass. I doubt we would even be having this discussion if a few of his shots off the post had gone in.

How many of those assist are a result of EP making a ridiculous play?

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

How many of those assist are a result of EP making a ridiculous play?

Probably quite a few but certainly not all of them. EP can make everyone on his line look better with his vision and creativity but EP and Goldy seem to have a bit of Chemistry when playing together that Goldy has not found with many of the others...... Now if EP could only teach Goldy how to shoot the puck accurately:unsure:

37 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Probably quite a few but certainly not all of them. EP can make everyone on his line look better with his vision and creativity but EP and Goldy seem to have a bit of Chemistry when playing together that Goldy has not found with many of the others...... Now if EP could only teach Goldy how to shoot the puck accurately:unsure:

My only issue with Goldy is that he could shoot more. Rang one off the post and is as snake bit as Gaunce when it comes to scoring. With close to 20 games played to date I am quite happy to see him play top 6 until January. He might be the type of player that has to get a lot of TOI and reps to develop the confidence and timing to become effective. At his current ppg he is not hurting the team. I think he sees the ice well and makes great plays faster than most on the team other than EP. To an extent I put Pouliot in the same boat. Throw the TOI at these kids and watch them grow. 

The last thing this group needs is a fan base who puts unrealistic expectations on the players. It does not make a lot of difference if this club makes playoffs or not. They likely will the way they are going, especially with the injuries, but it is more about development. I would be just as excited if they simply played competitve hockey and roled prospects through the lineup as the season progressed.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Game of inches. That's the difference between Goldobin and Patrick Kane. If you can pull it off consistently, you are Patrick Kane, if not, you are like Nikolay Goldobin. Sometimes, he should just settle down, not worry about fancy play, but making the right play and make the play he envision to happen is more important. Right now, he is try to immitate EP or Kane and it leads to too many turnovers. He should watch EP closely, see when EP tries to dangle and when EP actually just make the simple play. He has the good hands and offensive instincts, it's a matter of putting it together.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I keep hearing Goldy and his assists. he is getting most of those from Pettersson. imagine if he wasn't playing with Pettersson! I just think maybe sitting him a game might help him to open his eyes. the other game he was the only player on the team not getting a shot on net.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

My only issue with Goldy is that he could shoot more. Rang one off the post and is as snake bit as Gaunce when it comes to scoring. With close to 20 games played to date I am quite happy to see him play top 6 until January. He might be the type of player that has to get a lot of TOI and reps to develop the confidence and timing to become effective. At his current ppg he is not hurting the team. I think he sees the ice well and makes great plays faster than most on the team other than EP. To an extent I put Pouliot in the same boat. Throw the TOI at these kids and watch them grow. 

The last thing this group needs is a fan base who puts unrealistic expectations on the players. It does not make a lot of difference if this club makes playoffs or not. They likely will the way they are going, especially with the injuries, but it is more about development. I would be just as excited if they simply played competitve hockey and roled prospects through the lineup as the season progressed.  

He leads the team in unblocked shots taken (shots on net + missed shots) - tied with Horvat at 54.  He has missed the net 20 times, next closest is Pouliot with 14 and then Eriksson with 13.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

There seems to be a lot of focus on the here and now with Goldy but there needs to be a realization on the future here.

Yes. A lot of the assists are from Pettersson. However, look at how much more confident he has been. Look at how much more fun he has been having. Pettersson is a confidence booster for him. Goldy is the kind of player who clearly has skills but hasn't been able to transfer those skills well to the NHL yet; however, if he can keep going like he has he very well may transform into that player that we want to see in him.

Could he not pan out like that? There's that chance with any prospect and anything really but, seeing that he doesn't have a ton of competition for that spot at the moment, if we don't give him this chance now, we will never know. If you don't try things, you will never succeed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Lock said:

There seems to be a lot of focus on the here and now with Goldy but there needs to be a realization on the future here.

Yes. A lot of the assists are from Pettersson. However, look at how much more confident he has been. Look at how much more fun he has been having. Pettersson is a confidence booster for him. Goldy is the kind of player who clearly has skills but hasn't been able to transfer those skills well to the NHL yet; however, if he can keep going like he has he very well may transform into that player that we want to see in him.

Could he not pan out like that? There's that chance with any prospect and anything really but, seeing that he doesn't have a ton of competition for that spot at the moment, if we don't give him this chance now, we will never know. If you don't try things, you will never succeed.

Can't really see any reason not to continue to play Goldy with Pettersson. Yes, his giveaways are annoying, but his skill is undeniable, and it would be no surprise for him to continue to develop. And as long as Baer is out, who do we have that would be better than Goldy to put on EP's left wing? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

His big mistakes come from his east west play.  Hammer home in him: SHOOT. THE. PUCK. GO.TO. THE. NET.  And he should be a beauty.Green has turned some far worse players into stellar role players.  Hope he can get Goldy going because there is something special about him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

His big mistakes come from his east west play.  Hammer home in him: SHOOT. THE. PUCK. GO.TO. THE. NET.  And he should be a beauty.Green has turned some far worse players into stellar role players.  Hope he can get Goldy going because there is something special about him.

Him and Horvat shoot the puck the most - tied in the lead with 54 unblocked shots.

This is the time to let the Youngsters run with it... If they fail so be it, but give them the opportunity.

Green has excelled in getting the best out of a fair few players that were deemed useless and not good enough for this team.

We wanted youth, now let them work it out. So what if he misses... at least he is always in the play.

Patience.... It is not, as if he hasn't progressed at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, Archie the grim said:

Don’t know why people think he is talented offensively, he can’t pass, or shoot, isn’t strong on the boards doesn’t hit coughs up the puck regularly. How long are the Canucks going to with his poor play. He is playing with the best the Canucks have.When Boesser, Beagle, Baertchi come back he should go either to the press box or on waivers. The Canucks don’t need players like Goldobin, Pouliot or Leipsic. They bring nothing to the team except bad play

We watch the games. Players tend to show a lot more talent in practice as they develop and sometimes take longer to get game hands. Fans make bone headed assumptions based watching 3 or 4 chances a game. He clearly has talent. If anything I have been very disappointed in the defense not hitting the forwards when they have speed. Count how many times EP and Goldy have to turn back because there is no pass attempt! Then there already burning energy!  

• Upvote 1

My two cents to Goldobin. Finally had a chance to watch whole game in TV and although lot of things can't be seen in TV, this is what I saw.

Goldy works hard, in defensive zone. He actually took EP40's defensive responsibilities many times in D-zone. Fighting for the puck in the corner, winning the battles. He can pass, create chances, he can actually carry the play by himself. However, sometimes he just tries too much. It wouldn't be bad to simplify the game and no to try the most difficult pass. He is involved, works hard, the mistakes are the ones that are expected from young creative forward, who just started to play regularly in NHL. 

Green knows how to push buttons on all the young guys. If Goldy works hard, I do not worry about him, as I don't worry about any of our young guys.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

if you did not see it

you should look it up

goldy and his shooting practice video

from this past summer

he does a little dance shuffle as part of it

might provide a little insight :P