The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

I had to laugh when during the Jets game Ray Ferraro started ripping on him for hitting the brakes after crossing the blue line, deking around a guy, and taking a shot. He said it was a waste of a play and that Goldobin basically gave them the puck, how his coach was going to roast him for doing that. About 5 minutes later Laine did the EXACT same thing and he raved about what a great play it was.

Albeit Laine has a better shot but still, come on Ferraro get your head out of your @$$.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

Of course it's like comparing apples to oranges, but in 24 games Goldy already has more points (15) than he did in 38 last year (14).  Regardless of the circumstances, it's by any measure, progression.

It feels like a long time ago now, but coming into training camp, Goldy was often being lumped together with Leipsic  and Gaunce as on the bubble to make the team.  Safe to say, he's established himself as a regular on the team.  

Well done Jimbo, you took the Sharks to the cleaners on this one.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Scratched for tonight's game (12/04/18)

"Goldobin is out tonight. Believe he needs a reset -- he's not going anywhere and will get back into the lineup." - Travis Green

Edited by Tre Mac

8 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Scratched for tonight's game (12/04/18)

"Goldobin is out tonight. Believe he needs a reset -- he's not going anywhere and will get back into the lineup." - Travis Green

I appreciate how transparent Green is with his scratches.

2 hours ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

I don't get the hate for Goldy? He's playing his first full NHL season and is on pace for 45-50 points. If somebody would've told you prior to the season Goldy would get over 40 points we all would've loved it. He's not supposed to be physical, if he's going to be a 10 year NHL veteran it will be because of his offense and him putting up points. 

I also don't get why everybody is harping on his goal totals? Why does everybody seemingly think he should be a 40 goal scorer? In the OHL and AHL, he has always had more assists than goals. He's a playmaker, more than a pure goal scorer. I'd be happy if he put up 15-20 goals this year, assuming he goes back to playing with Pettersson. 

He's had good chemistry with Pettersson, I hope he can find some with Horvat and Virtanen but they are both more put your head down go to the net and shoot type, than the tic tac toe type. Probably about half or just under half of Goldy's points haven't involved Pettersson on the score sheet, so its not all Pettersson.

Let the kid (22 years old) get through an entire season before crushing him, he's improved quite a bit since getting to Vancouver, let him keep gaining confidence and realizing he can play in the NHL. As he gains more and more confidence, things will start to slow down for him and he should continue to get better.

Yes Goldy has done quite well offensively, about on par of what is expected of him.

However, still a matter of getting him to compete harder.  Simply his work ethic still waivers time to time where he looks engaged and sometimes not.  Additionally, as a winger, he needs to be harder on pucks along the boards instead of giving up and being out played physically on the boards.  As much skill he has to play with the puck, he needs to learn to be able to retrieve them himself as well.  That comes with being tenacious and being hard to be knocked off the puck.  Too often he gets knocked off.  Not sure if its because of his stature, or lack of determination, but in that department he really needs to continue to improve on that.  He has been better compared to when he has come in.

Before when Brandon Sutter said that Goldy needed to "find his balls", I kinda understand what he meant by that comment.  Goldy needs to be engaged at all times and willing to get his hands dirty by going into tough areas and being determined to win battles.  He won't win them all, but effort goes a long way.

“You have to have the want to get the puck to go into the corners and the hard areas,” said Sutter. “To do that, you have to have grit and balls and he has to find that.”

Goldy has been better this season in doing that...but at times still he lacks that drive or determination.  But when you do see it, it makes you think "damn if he could learn to turn on that faucet of compete totally on permanently, he would be lights out good".  

Talent alone, Goldobin is probably the second best offensive player on the team behind EP.  But his wavering compete level doesn't allow him to showcase it on a regular basis.  Details in the game is what separates him from being a fringe top six player to becoming a full fledge dangerous at every moment player.  It will come, but its gut check time now.  With Baertschi's return coming on the horizon, Virtanen seizing a spot beside Bo, and Leivo showing he belongs with EP and Brock...Goldobin's offensive opportunities in the top six are vanishing quickly unless he drastically improves in his compete level.  

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Leivo showing he belongs with EP and Brock

I don't really think Leivo has shown he's belongs with EP and Brock. He did well today, but he's been pretty invisible to me. Now it's early and I hope he succeeds but I would rather see Goldy with Boeser and Pettersson rather than Leivo. 

I am afraid the Canucks are going to bury and lose the asset in Goldy once Baertschi comes back, because Green will still expect Goldy to score while limiting his minutes. And then once he doesn't score he will be in the press box. 

I wonder what the lines will look like once Sutter and Baertschi are back.

Lines

Leivo - Pettersson - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Roussel - Sutter - Eriksson 

Granlund - Beagle - Motte

Scratches

Goldobin -  Schaller - Del Zotto/Pouliot

I don't see where Goldobin will play under Green's system because I don't think he'll be effective in the bottom 6 (duh), Baertschi could play 3rd line winger but I don't see them moving Eriksson or Roussel down, if you did though then you'd split time with Granlund, Motte and Schaller at the other 4th line wing position.

Man this is going to leave me with a headache and probably pissed off at Green. 

1 hour ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

I don't really think Leivo has shown he's belongs with EP and Brock. He did well today, but he's been pretty invisible to me. Now it's early and I hope he succeeds but I would rather see Goldy with Boeser and Pettersson rather than Leivo. 

I am afraid the Canucks are going to bury and lose the asset in Goldy once Baertschi comes back, because Green will still expect Goldy to score while limiting his minutes. And then once he doesn't score he will be in the press box. 

Lines

Scratches

I don't see where Goldobin will play under Green's system because I don't think he'll be effective in the bottom 6 (duh), Baertschi could play 3rd line winger but I don't see them moving Eriksson or Roussel down, if you did though then you'd split time with Granlund, Motte and Schaller at the other 4th line wing position.

When is the last time, during the regular season, when the Canucks had a full healthy forward line up for more than a couple of games?

Correct.....NEVER!  But if it did happen it would be a good position to be in. Sit the guys that are not pulling their weight. First world problem!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

Lines

Scratches

I also thought Goldy may be out of Top 6 when Baertschi is back.

I think they find a way to keep him in the lineup though...I'd rather have Roussel on the fourth and move Granny to the right side to make Goldy-Sutter-Granlund (bye eriksson).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smokes said:

I'm starting to think that we are getting a little spoiled with the rookie years of Boeser and Pettersson. Not all rookies are going to come up off the hop like our new stars but Goldy is still a rookie to me so he'll make his mistakes. He has improved steadily since we traded for him. He has worked hard and always had a smile on his face and from his goal celebrations loves to score goals. There is a lot to like in this kid. The fans were so patient for Virtanen and his rookie year was nothing like Goldobin's so why can't we afford him the same patience we gave Shotgun. 

Patience???? Goldobin is in his fourth season, that smiley face isn't going to keep him in the NHL for long, once Dahlen, McKewen, Baertchi, and Sutter are ready to go. Gaudette is here to stay, as well. He can't play bottom 6, like Jake can either. I think management has some decisions to make with Goldy, and Schaller once everyone is up to speed.