The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

this is how i see him too. i just don't see where he fits on this team, going forward. maybe if jim goes with 3 scoring lines, he could fight it out with baertschi for the 3rd line lw spot.

i see dahlen, leivo, boeser and virtanen ahead of him. i too will eat crow if i'm wrong.

I think Virtanen and Goldy are neck and neck in depth. It's like what Goldobin gets questioned on Virt is praised for and what Goldy is praised for, Virt gets questioned on. Where one is weak, the other excels.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I think Virtanen and Goldy are neck and neck in depth. It's like what Goldobin gets questioned on Virt is praised for and what Goldy is praised for, Virt gets questioned on. Where one is weak, the other excels.

i agree, but jake brings a physical game that the team needs, while goldy is another soft player that we seem to have enough of already. i'm more about winning the puck battles, which we don't do enough of now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I like Goldobin.. He's fun to watch as talented as all hell. I don't even think his compete level is that much of an issue any more, as I see him digging for pucks in the corners much more than I used to.

With that said, I still don't really see him as a permanent part of our top 6. While he isn't as much of a perimeter player as he was when we first got him, he still ends up losing most of the puck battles he engages in, and still has way too many brainfarts to be a dependable player. Unfortunately I see him as trade bait somewhere down the line. A young player with impressive offensive numbers that we might be able to dangle as part of a package for something that would really help us, be it a Dman, a pick, or a top 6 left winger with some grit. 

However, I'd love to be wrong about him. He has made some serious strides since coming here. I just don't have a lot of hope that the massive holes in his game can be filled.

I think he is starting to win some puck battles tho, I don't have a stat on it (does anyone track that?) but by good old eye test I do notice him winning some now whereas when we first got him I don't think he'd ever even engage. Its a skill like anything else, and to try to pick it up at the pro level has to be tough but I personally see progress there. Add to that he seems to me to be on his way to becoming a solid playmaking winger we might just want to hang on to him. Although i think with what he's learned to do under Green he'd go back to the KHL and be a beast there. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Goldobin is slowly getting it. Anyone doubts his game, watch it more closely. He is at the right place at the right time for Pettersson.

A lot of times I feel like fans develop the group mentality that someone, the weakest link, needs to be voted out.

Goldie is doing just fine.

for sure. Sbisa carried that load for a long time. Now Loui and Goldy seems to split the fun. He's big enough to be effective on the boards, he'll get there. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/16/2018 at 8:14 AM, 5Fivehole0 said:

I don't see it that way. Jake can be an effective player on any line. Goldy is not a checking forward and no amount of coaching will get him there.

That said, I really like his game and he's made significant progress as far as his compete level goes.

Also, those two compliment each other nicely. I really liked how Goldy Bo Jake was looking as a line.

On 12/16/2018 at 8:39 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

I think he is starting to win some puck battles tho, I don't have a stat on it (does anyone track that?) but by good old eye test I do notice him winning some now whereas when we first got him I don't think he'd ever even engage. Its a skill like anything else, and to try to pick it up at the pro level has to be tough but I personally see progress there. Add to that he seems to me to be on his way to becoming a solid playmaking winger we might just want to hang on to him. Although i think with what he's learned to do under Green he'd go back to the KHL and be a beast there. 

Goldy would rip it up in the K. He's not far out from being a legit top 6 NHLer though. He's just gotta stop being timid on the wall.

I think some boxing or judo would be great for him, not for the fighting aspect, but for the core strength and self confidence. He seems afraid of the repercussions if he battles too hard.

My God is the kid a gifted playmaker though. Nux gotta be ready for a pass when he's on the ice.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I don't see it that way. Jake can be an effective player on any line. Goldy is not a checking forward and no amount of coaching will get him there.

That said, I really like his game and he's made significant progress as far as his compete level goes.

Also, those two compliment each other nicely. I really liked how Goldy Bo Jake was looking as a line.

Goldy would rip it up in the K. He's not far out from being a legit top 6 NHLer though. He's just gotta stop being timid on the wall.

I think some boxing or judo would be great for him, not for the fighting aspect, but for the core strength and self confidence. He seems afraid of the repercussions if he battles too hard.

My God is the kid a gifted playmaker though. Nux gotta be ready for a pass when he's on the ice.

I look at Goldy’s face, and he looks (still) like a young boy.  I think he’s physically a late bloomer.  He will player tougher as he matures.  We need to be patient with him.  He’s going to be a fabulous player.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

My view on Goldobin is that he's where Baertschi was a year after the Canucks got Baertschi from the Flames.  Like Baertschi, he's had to learn the defensive side of the game and he's more of a playmaker than a finisher.  They're about the same size too, and can skate very well.  IMO, Baertschi has turned into a good top six player, though that's difficult to say definitively given that he's missed so many games over the past few seasons. 

I like how Goldobin has quietly gone about his business this season and has taken the opportunity to play on the top six and has run with it quite nicely.  I also have been impressed with his ability to gel with Pettersson, which to some degree is tough to do unless you have the talent to keep up with Pettersson.  I wouldn't call it a break out season just yet (maybe at the end of January we can say this) for Goldobin, but he's definitely on his way.

A top six that consisting of the following over the long term looks pretty good to me.

Goldobin -- Pettersson -- Boeser

Baertschi -- Horvat -- Virtanen

Throw in a bottom six of the following for the foreseeable future, and I think the Canucks have a forward group that can compete with pretty much anyone in the NHL:

Eriksson -- Sutter -- Leivo

Motte -- Beagle -- Roussel

Granlund/Gaudette

Gonna state the obvious...Tim Schaller's days look like they are all but over.

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

My view on Goldobin is that he's where Baertschi was a year after the Canucks got Baertschi from the Flames.  Like Baertschi, he's had to learn the defensive side of the game and he's more of a playmaker than a finisher.  They're about the same size too, and can skate very well.  IMO, Baertschi has turned into a good top six player, though that's difficult to say definitively given that he's missed so many games over the past few seasons. 

I like how Goldobin has quietly gone about his business this season and has taken the opportunity to play on the top six and has run with it quite nicely.  I also have been impressed with his ability to gel with Pettersson, which to some degree is tough to do unless you have the talent to keep up with Pettersson.  I wouldn't call it a break out season just yet (maybe at the end of January we can say this) for Goldobin, but he's definitely on his way.

A top six that consisting of the following over the long term looks pretty good to me.

Goldobin -- Pettersson -- Boeser

Baertschi -- Horvat -- Virtanen

Throw in a bottom six of the following for the foreseeable future, and I think the Canucks have a forward group that can compete with pretty much anyone in the NHL:

Eriksson -- Sutter -- Leivo

Motte -- Beagle -- Roussel

Granlund/Gaudette

Gonna state the obvious...Tim Schaller's days look like they are all but over.

Perhaps Benning went and got Leivo in light of less favorable news regarding Bärtschi’s status with concussions...

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Kushman said:

You're so weird. This 80s alien persona is kinda creepy.

You young people are strange.  Cute is a good thing, isn’t it?  My dog is cute.  Babies are cute. Really old people (older than me) are cute.  Heck, gerbils are cute.  Cute is a compliment.  Now, who is cuter : Goldy or Stecher?  

On 12/17/2018 at 7:46 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

for sure. Sbisa carried that load for a long time. Now Loui and Goldy seems to split the fun. He's big enough to be effective on the boards, he'll get there. 

Goldy's got holes in his game, we get that, sometimes he goes stretches in the game where he's invisible and next thing you know, he makes a fancy play and gets in the score sheet. People make it seem that Baertchi is this dominant player thats always noticeable, well in fact hes not. He still makes the same gaffes as Goldy right now or even when he was at the same age. If anything, you'd give the vote for Goldy as I've seen him be one of the top forwards more than Baertchi

• Upvote 2

On 12/17/2018 at 9:43 PM, Alflives said:

Is Goldy our cutest player?  Mrs Alf says he’s our cutest.  I’m saying Stecher is cuter.  He’s so little.  

Nah Mrs.Alf is right, Goldy is the cutest player. No way Stecher is cuter.

• Haha 1