Sign in to follow this  
Scorevat

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

42 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Totally agree. IMHO Goldy is second only to EP40 in his ability to move the puck. He has to make it as a top 6 player. He is not be pushed by anyone right now but could be next fall. Benning's challenge right now is to monetize his vets and move the youth that are not in the long term plan for return value. Goldy might be one of those who do get moved. By playing him now the Canucks likely increase his value. The decision on Goldy doesn't have to be made until next year. 

I'm not sure what everyone is in a hurry to dump him for? He has next to no trade value at the moment. I mean by all means if we can package him + another guy for an upgrade, sure but to just dump him for like a 4th or something... don't see it. May as well hang on to him, keep working with him and hope he figures it out.

If not, you can always dump him for peanuts or let him walk next year when we hopefully have other guys pushing for his spot, as you noted.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Goldy is not really considered a 'vet'.

I don't consider Goldy as a vet. Not sure why you say that. He is one of the younger players who might be monetized by improving his value by playing him until the decision is made whether to keep him or not. 

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Goldy is not really considered a 'vet'.

Benning a few weeks ago said he would consider moving a young player for another young player to give the team a different look.  

He's the most skilled winger they've got, next to Boeser and Baertschi. He probably wouldn't stick in the lineup of a contender though. He'll have to do for now, until Benning can make a trade to upgrade.

• Upvote 1

His disengaged play is definitely frustrating but he's been better since his most recent time in the press box.  The last two games in which we carried the balance of play but couldn't quite score when we had to show that we still need more skill on the wings.  Maybe Goldy isn't the long-term solution but his awareness of where his team mates are and his touch passing are second on the team only to Petterson.  Yes, he needs to score more as well as increase his compete level, but I'm glad management are still working to bring him around.  He could still become the player they were hoping for. 

Don't want to jinx it but I thought Goldy finished strong last game against Chicago. 

I love how green is handling him though, he had a miserable first period and start of the second, and Green sat him. Sat him for the first part of the third too, but then looked to give him more more chance close to midway through, and the message obviously got through. Played the hell out of Goldy for the lat bit of the third with Horvat and it almost paid off. 

With a previous coach his punishment would have been to stick him on the fourth line and expect him to succeed regardless. Green is showing tough love but its obvious its starting to get through. 

Goldy is too weak and has no drive to play hard. I know JB said they will give him more rope but I wish they would cut him loose and try to get another prospect for him. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Goldy is too weak and has no drive to play hard. I know JB said they will give him more rope but I wish they would cut him loose and try to get another prospect for him. 

The kid that was chasing down pucks, pinning guys against the boards behind the net that led to Zac Mac getting his first career point? The one that actually made our second line a threat vs Chicago and Calgary?

That no drive kid?

You sure you didn't mix him up with JV firing shots into shin pads at the blue line after he gains the zone/ passes the puck to the other team/ over skates the puck

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shad0w4life said:

The kid that was chasing down pucks, pinning guys against the boards behind the net that led to Zac Mac getting his first career point? The one that actually made our second line a threat vs Chicago and Calgary?

That no drive kid?

You sure you didn't mix him up with JV firing shots into shin pads at the blue line after he gains the zone/ passes the puck to the other team/ over skates the puck

They both just sit there looking dumbfounded half the time. Goldy just chews on his mouthguard dreaming of lamborghini's and pretty girls and Jake just straight up doesn't ever know what's going on.  Young players are supposed to bring energy, these guys continuously just suck the life out of the team.  

Goldy chases down a puck once a game, good for him. 

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

They both just sit there looking dumbfounded half the time. Goldy just chews on his mouthguard dreaming of lamborghini's and pretty girls and Jake just straight up doesn't ever know what's going on.  Young players are supposed to bring energy, these guys continuously just suck the life out of the team.  

Goldy + Jake for Huberdeau + cap dump?  

39 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Mmm... pretty girls...

Sorry, you were saying how Beagle, Motte, and Eriksson were standing there looking dumbfounded on that first goal last night..? Or...

30 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Mmm... pretty girls...

Sorry, you were saying how Beagle, Motte, and Eriksson were standing there looking dumbfounded on that first goal last night..? Or...

Okay I think I have missed maybe 5 canuck games in the last 5 years combined.  I'm not basing my opinion of Goldy on one game

And yeah Eriksson is trash, I'm not going to defend him.  Beagle is overpaid but fine in his roll, more the same for Motte minus the overpaid part.  

Edited by The 5th Line
  • Upvote 1

What's kind of funny is Goldobin probably isn't good enough defensively to play in the bottom 6. He's also got 6 goals this year (in 50 games), so he's struggling offensively too. How the heck he got an Audi commercial is beyond me lol    

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What's kind of funny is Goldobin probably isn't good enough defensively to play in the bottom 6. He's also got 6 goals this year (in 50 games), so he's struggling offensively too. How the heck he got an Audi commercial is beyond me lol    

I wouldn't say he's struggling offensively. He has 19 assists and would be on pace for 41 points in a full season. Not amazing mind you, but by far the best numbers of his career.

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not french enough for Basant Motors.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I wouldn't say he's struggling offensively. He has 19 assists and would be on pace for 41 points in a full season. Not amazing mind you, but by far the best numbers of his career.

Majority of those are playing with Pettersson. I think he could turn Alf into a 10 goal scorer.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Not french enough for Basant Motors.

Majority of those are playing with Pettersson. I think he could turn Alf into a 10 goal scorer.

Two aliens on one line would be unprecedented for sure... Make it happen Jimbo