The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

On 12/21/2018 at 1:22 AM, The 5th Line said:

Who did Baertschi get to play with at Goldobin's age?  Goldobin literally has the easiest job on the team right now, and like I said, we haven't got to see what Baertschi can do with this offensive of a lineup.  

6 points in 10 games to start the year isn't terrible, and he has scored on pace for 20 goals consistently over the last 3 seasons

How so? Must have been pretty damn easy for Megna to score all 100 goals playing with the Sedins. Just because you're with good players, its not given you're gonna score. You either put up points or you don't. Im not saying Baertchi is terrible. Im just stating the fact that Goldy's been playing well and yet people's patience are so short for him and yet the leash is much longer for Jake and Sven, when at one point earlier in their careers have struggled.

Goldobin is getting the Jake Virtanen treatment this year. we all know he can shoot the puck and has good offensive awareness but green wants more of a 200 foot game out of him. Make him more defensively aware,back check ect. This makes me believe they have plans for goldy on this team. I don't think hes done all that bad playing a third line role and is looking better. In the end if goldy adopts these skills it only makes him a more dynamic player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, smokes said:

I like those lines but I would prefer Gaudette going down to Utica for first or second line center minutes. Sutter has two more years left on his contract with a modified no trade clause. That means Guadette could start training to get into 3rd/4th line center position.

Gaudette’s already training at 3rd/4th line center...you’re probably right that he should go down for bigger minutes, but I’d prefer to see him given the opportunity to become a bigger point producer. Top 6 opportunities might only become viable for him on the wing...

Edited by nzan

13 minutes ago, nzan said:

Gaudette’s already training at 3rd/4th line center...you’re probably right that he should go down for bigger minutes, but I’d prefer to see him given the opportunity to become a bigger point producer. Top 6 opportunities might only become viable for him on the wing...

Agreed.  No way will he be supplanting Petey or Bo.  He’s the ideal third line center.  He’s high energy, and plays hard, and in straight lines.  He’s looking to be a pain in the arse to play against too.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I think Goldy is THE most under appreciated player on this team. He's not perfect, but he's young and he's already putting up decent numbers in the NHL, He's quiet, yea, but he also quietly puts up points and maintains a solid +/- for a 23 year old winger on a rebuilding team.

yep totally agree

If he can limit his mistakes and consistently put in effort then we have a long term top 6 player on our hands.

His offensive numbers will only improve as he becomes more confident at both ends of the ice as well

16 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I think Goldy is THE most under appreciated player on this team. He's not perfect, but he's young and he's already putting up decent numbers in the NHL, He's quiet, yea, but he also quietly puts up points and maintains a solid +/- for a 23 year old winger on a rebuilding team.

He was QB'ing the 2nd PP in the 3rd last night and dominating. There is no reason to overly worry about Goldy, that is Green's job. There is TOI experince and then there is coaching in the video room. I am sure that Goldy is getting lots of that. His game has come a long way from last spring.  

• Upvote 3

On 12/22/2018 at 2:55 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

I think with Goldy, it just depends on if he can improve on that or not. I'm hopeful for it, but if another player comes in who's better, then who knows at that point. It's a dog-eats-dog world afterall and he's one who has to either do well at what he does or find a niche.

Edited by The Lock

What I see with Goldobin and Baertschi is that both come to Vancouver as perimiter players.

Baer is convinced to play in the danger zones gets soem goals but ends up unjured.

If Goldy takes the same route, he will likely end up injured also.

Goldy has better vision and probably better health from the perimiter but will likely not score many goals.

I don't see either scoring 100 goals in a Canuck uniform

Leivo in 5 less games than Goldy has 1 more goal, less assists. He seems more suited for a heavier game and a longer career.

this year Goldy and Granlund have 5 and 6 goals in 38 games while Leivo and Baer have 4 and 3 goals in 10 games.

I see Ganny and Leivo having the longer careers 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/22/2018 at 2:55 PM, 5Fivehole0 said:

He is putting up the season he has by playing with a generally sheltered, highly offensive line with an elite offensive player (or 2). I like the kid and wish him all the best, but I think he has had only an ok year so far, all things concidered. He is doing very well offensively but has had only a handful of games where he has looked good on the other side of the puck. I don't like the lack of urgency in his game, and I'm not convinced his calibur of offense is enough to ignore those deficiencies. 

I'm hoping the kid all the best, and still pleasantly surprised with his progress this year. But I would need to see a lot more out of him to be voting him the Hansen (dark horse) of the team. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

He is putting up the season he has by playing with a generally sheltered, highly offensive line with an elite offensive player (or 2). I like the kid and wish him all the best, but I think he has had only an ok year so far, all things concidered. He is doing very well offensively but has had only a handful of games where he has looked good on the other side of the puck. I don't like the lack of urgency in his game, and I'm not convinced his calibur of offense is enough to ignore those deficiencies. 

I'm hoping the kid all the best, and still pleasantly surprised with his progress this year. But I would need to see a lot more out of him to be voting him the Hansen (dark horse) of the team. 

We kind of need a Burrows like player in Goldy’s spot.  I don’t know if we currently have that guy though?

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We kind of need a Burrows like player in Goldy’s spot.  I don’t know if we currently have that guy though?

Benning always says skilled players need to play with skilled players.  He isn't the only one - some players say that they don't like playing with less skilled players because it forces them to alter their game.

Hughes was not as blunt but he was saying that he particularly likes playing with his brother, not only because he is his brother, but because he is a skilled player.  Leivo/Goldobin have been flip-flopping and I wonder if it's not because of that.  Pettersson can't make the same plays with Leivo - the skill level is just not the same.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/20/2018 at 11:30 AM, The 5th Line said:

The skill is evident it's the work ethic and intensity that just isn't there.  Some guys have it and some don't and this is Goldy's 5th year of pro hockey and he has put some very solid numbers along the way but it's the same thing every year.  We aren't waiting for him to learn the game anymore, we are simply just waiting for him to work harder.

ie With Jake he for the most part has always gave an honest effort he just needed to learn what the hell to do out there and now his game is improving.

I count all of Goldobin lazy passes on the powerplay as bad defensive plays he's just lucky to not have been burnt on the turnovers that often...(yet).  Low percentage plays are just a sign of laziness.  He was a sharks prospect and the Sharks are a very good draft and developing franchise, actually quite underrated in my mind so they don't just go giving first round picks away for no reason. 

The injuries to Baertschi are sad, we finally have a lineup that can put up decent offensive numbers and he isn't a part of it. 

Yeah, Goldy does lack the intensity which will stop him from achieving his potential.  I still see the LW position as great a need for the team as the RD.

Very sad about Baer.  Really thought this was going to be his breakout season.

Last nights performance is going to become more regular if you keep the Goldy - Pettersson - Boeser line together and let them develop chemistry. I think Baertschi should be on the Horvat line when he returns, Baertschi can be both a playmaker and a scorer and Bo needs that to make his line more dangerous again. 

I'm leaning towards these line (if and when everybody is healthy again):

Goldobin - Pettersson - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Leivo - Sutter - Eriksson

Roussel - Beagle - Motte/Granlund 

Schaller - Granlund/Motte - MDZ = Scratches

I would waive Biega and send Gaudette down (even though I don't really want to)

Then depending where the Canucks are positioned at the trade deadline I would look to make some moves.

The easiest way for Jim Benning to make some trades is if the Canucks aren't in the playoff race at the deadline.

If their not in the playoff race, I would look to move the bit pieces like Nilsson, Schaller, MDZ, Gagner and it hurts me to say this but maybe Granlund too for draft picks. I would also try and make bigger trades involving Sutter and Edler. 

This way we could call up some players for the last month and a bit. 

Edited by TheRealistOptimist
grammatical error
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

Last nights performance is going to become more regular if you keep the Goldy - Pettersson - Boeser line together and let them develop chemistry. I think Baertschi should be on the Horvat line when he returns, Baertschi can be both a playmaker and a scorer and Bo needs that to make his line more dangerous again. 

I'm leaning towards these line (if and when everybody is healthy again):

Goldobin - Pettersson - Boeser

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Leivo - Sutter - Eriksson

Roussel - Beagle - Motte/Granlund 

Schaller - Granlund/Motte - MDZ = Scratches

I would waive Biega and send Gaudette down (even though I don't really want to)

Then depending where the Canucks are positioned at the trade deadline I would look to make some moves.

The easiest way for Jim Benning to make some trades is if the Canucks aren't in the playoff race at the deadline.

If their not in the playoff race, I would look to move the bit pieces like Nilsson, Schaller, MDZ, Gagner and it hurts me to say this but maybe Granlund too for draft picks. I would also try and make bigger trades involving Sutter and Edler. 

This way we could call up some players for the last month and a bit. 

I too feel like we should add Baertschi to Bo's line. I really like your second line there. I could possibly see Leivo being scratched instead of Motte/Granlund if he doesn't pick up his game again. He has 1 goal in his last 5 games and if he doesn't pick it up, I could see him ending up in the doghouse.

• Upvote 1