The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Wonder how long till Goldy is gone? Only about 7 weeks left till TDL on Feb. 25th.

Obviously it depends on whether any team wants him and what they would offer. Goldy playing with EP this year surely built up his trade value as other teams will look at his point total and may think he can contribute.

Too soft and only plays on the perimeter. I personally will be happy when he is gone as I don't like his buttery soft style. Now, if he was buttery soft and managed to get 80+ points a year you probably put up with him.

I hope JB does well on this one.

Green has pretty much turned around the games of two young players in Hutton and Virtanen, so I'm going to be patient to see what he does with Goldy. I think Green likes these projects and will not want Goldy moved. He sees the potential if Goldy can ever get it all together.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Green has pretty much turned around the games of two young players in Hutton and Virtanen, so I'm going to be patient to see what he does with Goldy. I think Green likes these projects and will not want Goldy moved. He sees the potential if Goldy can ever get it all together.

Don't forget about Baertschi. Calgary had seemingly given up on Sven at age 22 and Green was able to work with him in the AHL and tightened up his defensive game. There's no way I would give up on Goldy just yet, there's just too much potential for the offense that he can bring to the lineup.

I keep hearing that he wouldn't be putting up points if he wasn't playing with Pettersson, but who cares. Petey is on this team, so what does it matter if he's only putting up points playing on his wing. I haven't seen Leivo or Baertschi putting up numbers when they get a chance to play with Petey either and we just don't have enough top 6 scoring to not give him the same chances of the other players you mentioned.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Don't forget about Baertschi. Calgary had seemingly given up on Sven at age 22 and Green was able to work with him in the AHL and tightened up his defensive game. There's no way I would give up on Goldy just yet, there's just too much potential for the offense that he can bring to the lineup.

I keep hearing that he wouldn't be putting up points if he wasn't playing with Pettersson, but who cares. Petey is on this team, so what does it matter if he's only putting up points playing on his wing. I haven't seen Leivo or Baertschi putting up numbers when they get a chance to play with Petey either and we just don't have enough top 6 scoring to not give him the same chances of the other players you mentioned.

Baer has yet to play with Pettersson.  It was Eriksson-Goldy with Pettersson before his concussion.  Since his return Baer has been playing with Granlund.  They did play together today but it's only because Leivo got injured.

20 hours ago, lmm said:

I agree with you Jimmy, 100% 

I always wonder what exactly people mean when they talk about Goldy's talent. What exactly? He is not blazing fast, doesn't handle the puck overly well at speed, doesn't winn board battles, does not possess a great shot. What he does possess is creative imagination. He sometimes reminds me of a kid playing mini-stick, where he can do a tripple spin-o-rama a skate around all his teddy bears then shoot top cheese. Then he finds out its not that easy and he is in the NHL. He finds himself on the wrong side of Brian Boyle who is 6'6" and 245#. I thought Goldy put in a decent effort against Boyle, as good as we'd expect from Brock, Sven, Stech, Poop, Biega, Petey. The reality is Boyle scores that goal on 1/2 the team and the other 1/2 probably take a penalty. If Goldy steals the puck before it gets through, he is off to the races. At least he was there. 

Actually, I just re-looked at the goal on the condensed game. Stopped action at 1:24, Goldy gives up him man when Seney has a straight path to the net. Goldy is second closest Canuck to his net.

Wow, I'd hate to see what you think of JV since he really struggles to hold onto/make a play with the puck at speed, and keeps throwing the puck away in the O zone either by over skating it or not seeing the guy in between him and his target.....kind of like I dunno a young kid in a faster league.

• Upvote 1

Benning on Goldobin:

“I haven’t talked to teams about trading Nikolay Goldobin,” Benning insisted. “We like his skill level and what he brings. He has come a long way in his development this season and we’re going to continue to work with him on that.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/takeaways-canucks-full-confidence-topping-senators/

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I was thinking this too. He said a very similar thing about Hutton at the end of last season and it sounded at the time like Hutton was going to be out of Van soon, but here we are watching Hutton have a career year. 

Here's to hoping Goldy can do the same, he's got what it takes and just needs to go for it.

Just now, Where'd Luongo? said:

I was thinking this too. He said a very similar thing about Hutton at the end of last season and it sounded at the time like Hutton was going to be out of Van soon, but here we are watching Hutton have a career year. 

Here's to hoping Goldy can do the same, he's got what it takes and just needs to go for it.

Goldy has a very high ceiling.  Getting him to play as hard without the puck as he does with it is the key for him.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JB is an honest guy.  

yup we've learned that for sure. It doesn't mean he hasn't sounded out the market value of his players, all GMs do that, which is what Freidman may have heard about. But thats far from trying to work on an actual deal.

I'm glad to hear this. Its one of those situations where we might get a pick back with all the associated risks of that never developing and/or maybe getting a different project prospect back that has his own set of issues (e.g., Burakovsky or a guy like Hutton from last year), so we might as well keep trying with Goldy. Green put a lot of thought into those comments above, if they had given up on him I doubt there would be a speech like that. 

• Upvote 2

It's a conundrum. Green has pointed out the deficiencies of Goldobin's game, how he needs improvement in all of these areas, but when does he get the chance to improve? He was benched last night, and I suspect he will be tonight too. Without getting a lot of ice time, he's not going to improve, and he can't go to Utica. Does Goldobin be the #13 forward (press box) until someone gets injured? Maybe Green sits him often for the rest of the year, and then he will be required to go above and beyond in his training this off season? (like Hutton)