The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What's kind of funny is Goldobin probably isn't good enough defensively to play in the bottom 6. He's also got 6 goals this year (in 50 games), so he's struggling offensively too. How the heck he got an Audi commercial is beyond me lol    

I wouldn't say he's struggling offensively. He has 19 assists and would be on pace for 41 points in a full season. Not amazing mind you, but by far the best numbers of his career.

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What's kind of funny is Goldobin probably isn't good enough defensively to play in the bottom 6. He's also got 6 goals this year (in 50 games), so he's struggling offensively too. How the heck he got an Audi commercial is beyond me lol    

Not french enough for Basant Motors.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I wouldn't say he's struggling offensively. He has 19 assists and would be on pace for 41 points in a full season. Not amazing mind you, but by far the best numbers of his career.

Majority of those are playing with Pettersson. I think he could turn Alf into a 10 goal scorer.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

This kid has been given every opportunity to succeed, but I think TG has seen enough. 

On the contrary, he played almost 5 minutes more than the previous three games last night, so I think TG must have liked what he saw last night.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

It's an invaluable experience for Jim & Travis about doing their due diligence before you sign a player and about what can't be taught and can't be learned.

Goldy is in his D+5 season. He is in his 2nd NHL season, both with the Canucks. 113 NHL games and 148 AHL games. 23 years old. You blame 'due diligence' for the reason he is learning/not learning the NHL game. Seriously? What checklist did they forget to use? Physical, skills or mental? If it was a question of due diligence then where does that leave the Oilers or any number of NHL orgs. IMHO you are oversimplfying the whole question. 

Goldy might never be able to turn the corner. His potential is still intact IMO. His game has improved thru the season. That said he could be bypassed by the developing depth in the org. At the end of the day it is all about the TOI and who gets it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This guy is on the team to score goals.  And he can't even do that even though he plays with Petey and BO all the time.  Roussel has more goals than him, so does Eriksson who plays on the 3rd and 4th lines every game.  Edler and Hutton have the same amount of goals as Goldy.  So why is he here?  Dead weight.  Bye bye Goldy, it was nice knowing you...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Not sure how long the organizational patience will last.  I see some improvement in his game where he's stronger on the forecheck and some of the board battles in his own end, but then I see him blindly pass the puck to the Sharks just outside his blueline, and totally glide back on a back check that cost a goal against.  He doesn't have that consistent pit bull mentality that players need to protect their own end of the ice.  Compare his play to Pettersson who throws everything he has into protecting his net, sometimes causing us to hold our breath when he's shot blocking.  I had hoped that Goldy playing with Pettersson would help him see and understand how to defend and what was expected of him, but it doesn't seem to be clicking.  That tells me he may never get "it".  With the access to coaching that he has, if the desire was there, he'd be improving by leaps and bounds.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1