The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

On 2/17/2019 at 1:21 PM, Crabcakes said:

Benning is the one making the calls on these deals not Green.  There are a couple of things here.

1. Doug Wilson is a wily veteran GM and one should be very careful when dealing with him
  2. Goldy was in his last year before waiver eligibility when the deal was made.  If you're not sure he's ready to play at the NHL level, the price had better be right.

Benning and company seem to be very sure of themselves with respect to developing players.  I think that in general, the do a very good job but clearly, not every player works out.  Granted, some of the players who have come and gone were long shots but even some players with decent pedigree haven't done that well.  I'm talking about Goldy and Pouliot on the present roster.  I think that Benning was afraid that he would lose Hansen for nothing to Vegas in the expansion draft.  Wilson knew this.  I'm sure he has a copy of Machiavelli's The Prince and Sun Tsu's The Art of War in his office.  :lol:

So it all boiled down to Sbisa for Goldy?

I'd rather have Sbisa

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

O.K. let's assume Jim did his due diligence on Goldobin.

1. Did Jim miss his poor compete level   ?

2. Did Jim miss his poor defensive game?

3. Did Jim miss his inability to get on the forecheck ?

4. Did Jim miss his poor play along the boards, especially in puck battles?

Jim could have called for a draft pick which would have been better, because with a pick you have a player pool you can choose from.

You realize there's a 2nd GM on the other end of every deal right? 

There may not have been, and likely wasn't a pick offered. Or at the very least, not one with similar odds to be an NHL player (another late 1st, as Goldobin himself was) for a expansion eligible Hansen. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

O.K. let's assume Jim did his due diligence on Goldobin.

1. Did Jim miss his poor compete level   ?

2. Did Jim miss his poor defensive game?

3. Did Jim miss his inability to get on the forecheck ?

4. Did Jim miss his poor play along the boards, especially in puck battles?

Jim could have called for a draft pick which would have been better, because with a pick you have a player pool you can choose from.

What I was saying in my first post was, that Travis is learning his lesson what aspects of Goldy's game can be improved and what aspects of his game can't be improved.

Travis has been working with Goldy more than 1 year. I am very sorry that I have to say this, but I can see only marginal improvements to his game.

Here is a statement from Jim about Goldy:

“When the puck is at our blue-line, it has to get out and when it’s at their blue-line, it’s got to get in. When he gets it in, he has the freedom to create. But there have to be rules to be successful and he has to be able to follow those.

It's not possible to phrase it in a more succint and more simple way than Jim did. But Goldy either did not get it or can't execute it on the ice.

He is not going to be a player.

I think JB and our scouts knew exactly what we were getting with Goldy.  We chose to take Goldy because even with all his faults (like you listed) he has elite skill.  It was a risk vs. reward scenario.  I still believe Goldy is physically and emotionally immature, and has growing to do.  JB made the trade with that belief too.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Goldobin looked like the missing piece for the top six the first twenty games this season. Since then he looks like AHL Goldobin, is he going to turn it around? I don't see it, at all.

The Canucks have been patient, spending a lot of time with Goldobin, but it sounds like he's still struggling to "get it". My wonder is whether he ever will. He does have some speed, when he wants to use it. Not usually on the back-check though. Stick handling skills can only get you so far. I'll bet he's a heck of a ball hockey player lol

4 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Goldobin looked like the missing piece for the top six the first twenty games this season. Since then he looks like AHL Goldobin, is he going to turn it around? I don't see it, at all.

We wish we saw AHL Goldobin. AHL Goldobin is too good for the AHL. LOL. He was a constant threat scoring, but at this level, he's invisible. I'd wish he'd turn his game around.

12 hours ago, Zhukini said:

No trade, interesting. He's going to ask for a bigger contract, and I really believe he's going to go home if he doesn't get it. 

I love his skill but this could be another mistake in someone's cap. 

He doesn't seem like a guy that wants to go back to Russia, he seems to like the lifestyle here. That being said, rather than qualify Goldy, would much rather give him 2 years, 1.2 per, along those lines just to give him some security. Could be a worthwhile investment with his improving game. 40pts for a little over a mill year is pretty decent value, we've seen worse

• Upvote 1

Such an annoying player to watch, and I'm sure he makes the coach's blood boil at times.

For 3 shifts he'll be fully engaged, constantly making plays in the offensive zone and even strong on the back-check.

And then the next shift he'll make an incredibly soft play on the boards, and the shift after that he'll make a terrible line-change instead of back-checking.

Then the next shift, he'll make a nice pass.

He has the talent to be a top-6er in the NHL, there is no doubt. Just needs to get his head out of his butt on a consistent basis.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Such an annoying player to watch, and I'm sure he makes the coach's blood boil at times.

For 3 shifts he'll be fully engaged, constantly making plays in the offensive zone and even strong on the back-check.

And then the next shift he'll make an incredibly soft play on the boards, and the shift after that he'll make a terrible line-change instead of back-checking.

Then the next shift, he'll make a nice pass.

He has the talent to be a top-6er in the NHL, there is no doubt. Just needs to get his head out of his butt on a consistent basis.

However it works out with Goldy long term the Canucks have to get something for him if the decision is made to move on. Re-sign him and continue the development into next year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Sure is nice having him in the lineup, Petey gets points.

Would have both had another point on that 3 man passing play if BB could get his one timer back instead of hanging onto the puck until he's at the side of the net.

Edited by shad0w4life
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

He doesn't seem like a guy that wants to go back to Russia, he seems to like the lifestyle here. That being said, rather than qualify Goldy, would much rather give him 2 years, 1.2 per, along those lines just to give him some security. Could be a worthwhile investment with his improving game. 40pts for a little over a mill year is pretty decent value, we've seen worse

Yup, the scenario was brought up right after the deadline and both he and his agent seemed to shoot it down which hopefully is a good sign

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Yup, the scenario was brought up right after the deadline and both he and his agent seemed to shoot it down which hopefully is a good sign

I wouldn't mind us signing Goldy to a three year term even, or however long keeps him one year from being a UFA.  How many years before Goldy becomes a UFA?

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I realize that Goldobin and Pearson aren't the same type of players, but here is a little comparison between the two:

After 4 full seasons as a NA pro, Goldodbin is clipping along at 0.389 ppg in 113 NHL games, and at 0.851 ppg in 148 AHL games.

After 4 full seasons as a NA pro, Pearson was at 0.404 ppg in 146 NHL games, and 0.752 in 105 AHL games.

Goldobin chosen 27th OA in his draft class; Pearson chosen 30th OA in his draft class. 

Goldobin given opportunity to play with the team's top centre, while Pearson had a nice run as the LW on the Jeff Carter line - i.e., both given the opportunity to play in the top six of their respective teams.

Many view Pearson as a legit top six who's having a tough season, while many view Goldobin as an on-going project who is still working through his growing pains (and rightly so).   In my past posts, I have been a supporter of Goldobin mainly because I think he's an uber-talented hockey player...IMHO, in due time (maybe as early as next season), Nikolay Goldobin will become a legitimate top six forward that everyone was hoping for. 

I have a feeling that he'll pay off for all the patience shown by Goldobin supporters.  And the fact that he's struggled should allow the management to bridge him for the next 2-3 years at a reasonable cap hit allowing flexibility for short term UFA signings.

I think Goldy and Pearson could compliment each other on the same line.  Goldy, being the more creative player, could play on his off wing, where he can see the ice better.  Pearson, being more of a wall guy, would be better suited on his natural side anyway.  Goldy is looking good to me, and I hope Green allows Goldy to play his off wing, and be the creative player he is.  

21 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I realize that Goldobin and Pearson aren't the same type of players, but here is a little comparison between the two:

After 4 full seasons as a NA pro, Goldodbin is clipping along at 0.389 ppg in 113 NHL games, and at 0.851 ppg in 148 AHL games.

After 4 full seasons as a NA pro, Pearson was at 0.404 ppg in 146 NHL games, and 0.752 in 105 AHL games.

Goldobin chosen 27th OA in his draft class; Pearson chosen 30th OA in his draft class. 

Goldobin given opportunity to play with the team's top centre, while Pearson had a nice run as the LW on the Jeff Carter line - i.e., both given the opportunity to play in the top six of their respective teams.

Many view Pearson as a legit top six who's having a tough season, while many view Goldobin as an on-going project who is still working through his growing pains (and rightly so).   In my past posts, I have been a supporter of Goldobin mainly because I think he's an uber-talented hockey player...IMHO, in due time (maybe as early as next season), Nikolay Goldobin will become a legitimate top six forward that everyone was hoping for. 

I have a feeling that he'll pay off for all the patience shown by Goldobin supporters.  And the fact that he's struggled should allow the management to bridge him for the next 2-3 years at a reasonable cap hit allowing flexibility for short term UFA signings.

I'll gladly eat crow on calling out Goldy so much on this site if he keeps playing the way he has over the last 2 games. I don't know but it seems to me something has finally "clicked" with him. You even look at his body posture on the bench and ice and he's showing way more confidence than he was at the start of the season. I really hope this kid turns the corner. He's got a great attitude so he deserves it. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Zhukini said:

No trade, interesting. He's going to ask for a bigger contract, and I really believe he's going to go home if he doesn't get it. 

I love his skill but this could be another mistake in someone's cap. 

Could always be traded in the off season, but I think Benning really likes Goldy. Goldobin also said he loves being here and wants to stay. I can see him getting a raise after the season, but not a huge raise, He hasn't done much yet to deserve it. My guess is he'll get a short term "show me" deal.  He played very well last night. Canucks are not in a position to give up on a 23 year old skilled player who wants to be here. They need all the help scoring they can get.

• Upvote 1